FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » An OSC-Style film Review.

Author Topic: An OSC-Style film Review.
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
As an experiment, I have decided to write a review, much briefer than OSC's usually are, about two films, focusing on their moral character. Instead of Christians/Mormons, I shall examine the portrayal of young people.

Firstly, "A Little Romance" has undeniable artistry, especially in the brilliant score and Laurence Oliver's brilliant performance. As a film about youth, it is even more spectacular. Many critics, Roger Ebert atypically among them, thought that the two main characters were supposed to be "normal" or "average" thirteen-year olds, and, at this, it certain fails, although by less of a margin than it is often accused of. They are not normal, but brilliant (the French story was called "E=Mc^2 Amore"), and serve very well as ideal young people, Thelonius Bernard's character of Daniel especially so. One of the most positive portrayals of youth in film.

The considerably more recent film "Raising Helen" certainly lacks the earlier films artistry, and is far more negative in its portrayal of youth, despite , or, perhaps because of , the fact that it is more clearly aimed at young teenagers and preteens. The character of the eldest daughter and her friends is one-dimensional and stereotypical, showing teenage girls as being stupid and sluty, which would be more bearable if there were any admirable young people in the film. There are not, the moral seems to be that all young people, if not aggressively parented, are doomed to a life of sex and drugs. The film actually seems to tell mothers not to trust their adolescent children, because they will betray that trust. Now, that is morally sickening.

That was very satisfying.

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

Should I have posted this on the other side?

I am assuming that, based on prior experience, at least a significant number of Hatrakers have seen one or both of these films.

Or is the problem that I am seen as mocking OSC? Actually, I am not, although I am playing of his slightly eccentric way of reviewing films, I am perfectly serious in what I say.

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
of course, it could just be that everybody agrees with you and decides to leave your reviews unchallenged...
Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

Always a possibility, but totally unprecedented in Hatrack history as I remember.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Also possible that people (such as myself) haven't seen the two movies in question. Though, I must say that the tone of your reviews did sound remarkably similar to OSCs at points.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
This made me think of Pelegius.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't seen either of the movies. But you do sound like OSC.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Do an OSC style review of like...The Princess Bride or something.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

mr_porteiro_head, funny I don't think anyone who knows me would see me as at all like that. The idea of me being, in any way, a gamer, is so bizarre as to merit guffows from any of my friends.
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
I think he meant the stuff about regulating the actions of minors, independent of any gaming context.

Sheesh.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eduardo St. Elmo:
of course, it could just be that everybody agrees with you and decides to leave your reviews unchallenged...

That's the stupidest thing I ever heard..

j/k I agreed but I wanted to post something here! [ROFL]

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pelegius:
Always a possibility, but totally unprecedented in Hatrack history as I remember.

No, it happens all the time. Not all of your threads get past this stage. This one has no steam at all. It will die like many, on the vine.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

I shall resurrect this topic whenever I have another good review.

I just bought the first season of House on dvd, of course, it is an excellent series, if some what unrealistic. That is why I bought it.

One episode, however, stood out as particularly fine, The Socratic Method. The plot is interesting, dealing with mental illness, but Aaron Himelstein's performance as the teenaged-son of a schizophrenic woman is breathtaking. Not only is he clearly a much better actor than the woman who played a nun in the previous episode (I felt his anguish, hers made my laugh, largely because it sounded like she was laughing), but the role is well written and provides a refreshing example of both a well-portrayed, intelligent and capable teenager in a difficult situation and also one of the few good portrayals of mental illness I have seen.

I must admit that I am biased, I am a teenager and my mother's mental illness, while currently under good control, has been a shaping force in my life. I was intensely grateful to see such an beautiful portrayal in the media.

cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
OSc doesn't use that many "big" words crammed together that much.

OSC tends to have one point per paragraph. Pelegius' review has several.

OSC tends not to mention other film reviewers.

quote:
The considerably more recent film "Raising Helen" certainly lacks the earlier films artistry, and is far more negative in its portrayal of youth, despite , or, perhaps because of , the fact that it is more clearly aimed at young teenagers and preteens. The character of the eldest daughter and her friends is one-dimensional and stereotypical, showing teenage girls as being stupid and sluty, which would be more bearable if there were any admirable young people in the film.
That part sounds a fair bit like OSC, however.
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

"OSc doesn't use that many "big" words crammed together that much.

OSC tends to have one point per paragraph. Pelegius' review has several.

OSC tends not to mention other film reviewers."

I did not try to imitate OSC, the reviews were written taking into account his criteria, but in my own style.

Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I did not try to imitate OSC, the reviews were written taking into account his criteria, but in my own style.
quote:
An OSC-Style film Review.
Um.
Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

Fine then, a film review using the technique of Orson Scott Card but not nesicarly employing his writing style. I think we can agree that somethings are too long to make a good title, even if they are more accurate.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.