FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hanging up the wash

Author Topic: Hanging up the wash
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all,

I haven't posted in, well, months but I thought I'd put a call out for help here.

I have just moved out of the large, institutional building where I was living to a small house that I share with four people from my community (monastic community, that is). Here we have the option of using the dryer or hanging our clothes on the line to dry. I have been left here alone most of the week and for the first time since I moved (last weekend) I am presented with the need to do laundry.

What does this have to do with Hatrack, you may ask. Well, I have never hung my clothes out before. Is there anything that I need to know? Is there proper etiquette for what should and should not be placed on the line (we also have several stands inside on which to hang things to dry). Is there a certain way to hang items? Are there certain items that I should not dry on the line? I'm just curious as well as young and inexperienced and probably a little stupid for having to ask. I really do want to use this option as I feel that it is much more environmentally friendly.

Thanks for all help!
Kat

Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I dry almost anything out on the line but beware that whatever you dry has the tendency to be stiff (I don't use liquid fabric softener and so I can't say how that might change the feel of the fabric...) I especially will dry jeans and anything heavy that takes longer to dry in the dryer. The only exception are underwear (because I embarass easily and we all have sensitive skin in my family).

I try to hang things up so that there are as few wrinkles as possible (by pant legs, and shoulders of shirts) and do up all zippers, buttons and clasps.

I'm by no means a pro and I'm sure someone will have more experience than I. Good luck!

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
There's no etiquette, really-- you hang out what you're comfortable with people seeing. If there's something you'd rather your neighbors not see, then don't hang it out.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
When the clothesline is up at my house, we hang everything on it. With or without the permission of whoever owns the clothes. I can't tell you how many times I've been eating my breakfast and nearly choked because I see my stuff clothesline.
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It is important (especially with heavier-weight fabrics) to wring out as much water as possible before hanging things to dry. Some washers do a decent job of this; some leave clothes awfully wet.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been awhile since I've done it, but ...

The place where you put the clothespins will leave an impression, so you have to decide if you want that on your shoulders or hem of your shirts.

I usually clipped two items with one pin, so if you have four items you would use five pins. (Think one for left, one for first item right and second item left, etc. and finishing with one pin for last item right side.)

I would put larger items on the outside lines and underwear on the inside, where it's less likely to be seen. You can hang sheets and blankets by one edge on one line and the opposite edge on another line, so it will dry faster.

You may have to wash something again if a bird poops on it.

The fresh air smell is great, but there's a downside in that clothes might be stiffer than you are used to. You can put some fabric softener in the wash if it's a problem.

As I recall, it's an activity which lends itself to quiet thought. Kind of like doing the dishes - you can do it sort of on automatic while your thoughts go through your head. It's nice that way. (Our landlord removed the clothesline last summer when he put in new back steps after the old porch collapsed, so we can't do it any more.)

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
We hang everything to dry. Clothes dryers don't exist in this country except for the very very rich. With the heat and sun, it's just not necessary to use dryers. [Smile]

Disclaimer: We don't hang things by hems or shoulders. We fold it over the line in half. So if it's a shirt, for example, there's really four layers of fabric back to back. But here, it's hot enough that it's dry in 2 or 3 hours anyway. You may need to hang by hems or shoulders for better effect depending on your specific climate conditions.

Grasp article of clothing firmly at one end and shake with a snap. Not sure if this makes sense in my description. The point being to a. get wrinkles out b. dislodge any remaining lint c. it tends to feel not as stiff/hard when it's dry if I do this and d. because it feels good and makes me think I'm accomplishing something. [Big Grin]

Unzip pants and turn inside out - you won't get the bunching in the pockets and the fly won't take as long to dry. Also, hang so that the fly is outermost, not inside. Otherwise, the fly takes forever.

I put dresses, dress shirts on hangers and then put the hanger on the line. Less need for ironing, and, well, I'm lazy. [Smile] That, and they take up less room.

Anytime you have a garment with extra layers of fabric, like pockets, put that area of the garment on the outside so it gets more wind/sun exposure. Extra layers will take longer to dry.

If you're using a movable drying rack,put it into direct sunlight. Move it every few hours as the sun moves, if necessary.

We don't use fabric softener - Fahim and I have sensitive skin. Fahim's parents do, though. Yeah, it makes for softer fabric, but it's not like our clothes end up being that stiff. I think it may have something to do with the softness/hardness of the water as well.

You may find that some tshirts and other stretchy items stretch too much. To remedy, wash in hot water (or boil if necessary)(this depends on whether the fabric can handle this, too, of course) and it'll shrink back into its old shape.

Yeah, I think that summarizes pretty much everything I know. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That was awesome, quidscribis. I seriously feel like I'm a hang-to-dry-dryer-extraordinaire-by-proxy! : )
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, thank you?

We always hung clothes to dry when I was a kid, so this is really old hat, and that was in northern climates, too, like northern Alberta, where you've got to really maximize on drying capacity since it wasn't that warm up there. *shrugs*

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Oh, I should mention... In early spring and late fall, we wound up with clothesicles. [Big Grin] Then it's really really stiff. [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
But the cool thing is, you can watch the ice sublime (go directly from a solid to a gas) if the conditions are right.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

That's when you hang your pillowcases out.
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Cool visual, Jeesh!
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

Thanks for all the tips! Most of it is really common sense but I wanted to make sure I didn't do something really dumb. Now I'll be able to get straight to my laundry in the morning.

Kat

Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
What sort of monastic community are you living in, Kat?
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We don't use fabric softener - Fahim and I have sensitive skin.
You know, you can use white vinegar in the final rinse, and it makes an excellent fabric softener for those of us with sensitive skin. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yes, we could. But then we'd smell like fermented coconuts. [Razz]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

(Because white vinegar is so difficult to find here as to be practically impossible, but coconut vinegar is everywhere and the cheapest vinegar in existence in this country. That's why. [Razz] )
cmc
Member # 9549

Where are you? Feel free to not answer... : )
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Sri Lanka. [Smile]

(Nearly) everybody knows, but then, it helps that I announced my impending marriage and move halfway around the world here back when it all happened. [Big Grin]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hmmm. What about rice wine vinegar? That works almost as well and doesn't stink.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

On the rare occasions that I found it, it still cost about 8x as much as coconut vinegar. So, no. [Smile]
katdog42
Member # 4773

I, too, have found white vinegar to be a very nice substitute for fabric softener. Many of us use it here at the monastery as it is cheaper and doesn't mean exposure to even more chemicals. In America, it is very easy to get vinegar of many sorts.

Stray, I live in a women's Benedictine monastery.

Jeesh
Member # 9163

Is vinegar better than fabric softener?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Works about the same, but is a lot less expensive than, no dye unscented fabric softener.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Apple cider vinegar during the wash part of the cycle also removes urine smell from clothes that kids or cats have peed on.)
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like a really good idea; I'm going to try it. Fabric softener irritates my skin.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sweetbaboo:
I dry almost anything out on the line but beware that whatever you dry has the tendency to be stiff

Unless it rains while they're drying. It'll take longer to dry in that case, but your stuff will be nice and soft. There's a reason they use terms like "rainwater soft" on commercials.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
(Apple cider vinegar during the wash part of the cycle also removes urine smell from clothes that kids or cats have peed on.)

I wish I'd known that a year ago. <sigh>
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really surprised you said to "unzip" things, Laurie. I was always taught to zip up or fasten all fasteners because it helps the fabric keep its rightful shape better as it dries.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
One more "worry thing". Clothing with some synthetic components, for instance, elastic or "plastics" may weaken or discolor when exposed to the sun. Hang them on the shady side of sheets etc. or put them on the indoor hangers.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Also, turn things inside-out if you don't want them to fade (dark colors, those plastic type designs on t-shirts, etc.)
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack Online! [Wink]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Yah! If you are going to dry a Hat don't use the Rack, you need to block it or it won't fit right ever again. I used to use my son. (Put it on his head tight and make him stay out in the sun until it dries)
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
So it is both sun-dried and son-dried.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I zip when I wash things - unzipped zippers can tear holes into fabric - but I find that that's enough for the garment to retain shape. Unzipping when I dry dries it faster, but it retains shape perfectly fine this way. [Dont Know]

Oh, keep in mind we don't have coats and such, so that may affect your zipping/unzipping. The only zippers we have are on pants and the occasional skirt, so the zippers tend to be less than 8" long, so not as much warping involved anyway.

Another thing about washing - I tend to wash things inside out because it puts less wear on the outer surface of the garment, so it looks nicer longer. It also helps in cases of, shall we say, rashes and the like where dead skin collects on the fabric (both Fahim and I have sensitive skin and are prone to skin reactions and rashes, so this, of course, is something I notice.)

Keep in mind that we don't own polyester, nylon, acrylic, or other non-natural fibres - our skin prefers cotton, linen, and rayon, so that wears more. That contributes to the wash inside out philosophy. [Big Grin]

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
If you live in a humid area, during the summer a good strategy for line-dried clothes is to dry them for 5-10 minutes in a drier after they've been out on the line. That helps to get more moisture sucked out of the clothes and keeps them from getting musty as fast while they're stored.

(But, if you're like me and you don't have AC... the clothes absorb humidity from the air soon enough, so the extra help from the drier doesn't make that much difference.)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

Thanks again for all the tips.

I had wondered if turning clothes inside out would be a good idea. Logically, it seemed that there might be less fading that way, but I just wasn't sure.

Good news... I did get my laundry cleaned (and dried!) so now I have clothes to wear again!

Kat

Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

code:
Good news... I did get my laundry cleaned (and dried!) so now I have clothes to wear again!

Good. The alternative is hardly acceptable in your line of work. [Big Grin]
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you guys know how I can get my clothes drier without having to run them through the dryer (teehee) twice? I've already figured out that I can't put towels in there (which means that I keep having to buy new towels because machines taht only take quarters in laundry rooms without change devices don't work well for me). But a lot of times they still don't get dry, even if I put the dryer on hot (which I really hate doing).

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ssasse
Member # 9516

- posted      Profile for ssasse           Edit/Delete Post 
(I'm guessing it's the southern Hoosier in me that keeps reading the title as "Hanging up the warsh.")

---------

pH, if your laundry facility has a maintenance person, you might try asking him or her to check on the airflow tubings and any filters that you can't access.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

pH, you could iron 'em dry. [Smile]

Yeah, not a great solution in that it takes time and work, but with a hot setting (assuming the towels are 100% cotton) it would work.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
You could hang them up on the towel racks and shower bar and backs of chairs and so on to let them finish drying. That's annoying, though. Better to get the maintenance people to fix the dryers or clean out the lint traps/filters. Obviously there isn't enough air moving through them if they are getting hot enough.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quid, I always end up with scorches when I do that. [Grumble]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Ouch.

I used to - I got scars and everything - but I think I finally outgrew that. Or the aversion therapy worked or something.

Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

quote:
Do you guys know how I can get my clothes drier without having to run them through the dryer (teehee) twice?
The only thing I have found that works really well is to move out West. They will dry just fine in the desert. Actually you will dry just fine in the desert. Then you don't need so many towels.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.