FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Movies about the gifted (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Movies about the gifted
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
The recent thread about Searching for Bobby Fischer made me think about other movies I've seen where the hero of the movie is someone gifted, and the drama of the movie revolves around how they deal with the gift and how others deal with it.

Other examples:
Good Will Hunting
Little Man Tate
Finding Forrester

I've really enjoyed all of these movies. I was just wondering whether there are others that I haven't come across in this vein. Any suggestions?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you mentioned Little Man Tate. That was the first one that came to my mind when I read the thread title. I liked that movie.

Some could argue that Rainman qualifies -- he was very gifted in specifics ways, despite (or because of) the autism.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Though not EXACTLY the same in terms of plot, I think the elements are similar.

Awakenings: Robin Williams (in a serious role) and Robert DeNiro.

From Wikipedia: Awakenings is a 1990 drama film based on Oliver Sacks' memoir, Awakenings. It tells the real story of a doctor (Oliver Sacks, fictionalized as Malcolm Sayer) who, in 1969, discovers beneficial effects of the then-new drug L-Dopa. He applied it on catatonic patients who survived the 1917-1928 epidemic of encephalitis lethargica. The patients awaken after decades of catatonic state and have to deal with a new life in a new time.

Your question about movies where a genius awakes to his gift and has to decide how to use it just seem to reasonate with this movie as it is about normal people who have slept for decades who suddenly wake up and have to face reality and decide what they are going to do with their time.

The movie is really moving, if you have not seen it, I suggest you do. As a side note, the theme for the character Doctor Sayers is a wonderful song.

Still need to think about movies that actually fit your bill as you described it Lisa.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for double posting but have you seen "Amadeus?"

Its obviously based on Mozarts life but done with the some poetic licence. Still I think its a great movie, and it won quite a few deserved (IMO) Academy Awards.

When I was in 4th grade I read my first biography and it was a biography about Mozart. I loved it, so I guess it makes sense that I love this movie.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
The Mighty. Makes me cry every time.

(Although it's more about the relationship between a gifted boy and a "slow learner" and them against the world.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
What was that movie about the Rocket program developed by the kids in West Virginia's coal country? I read the book, but can't remember the name.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
October Sky?

--j_k, who added a question mark

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
That was a GREAT movie.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Would Phenomenon count? I'm not sure whether I'd call what he had a gift or not. But, as I recall, I really enjoyed this movie.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
A Beautiful Mind I think is an awesome movie.

For some reason when I read this thread title I thought of The Emperor's Club. It isn't necessarily about gifted people - but it does seem to fit in a way (at least in my brain).

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
shawshank u stole mine [Razz]
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

Sorry Soap.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chanie
Member # 9544

- posted      Profile for Chanie   Email Chanie         Edit/Delete Post 
Billy Elliot
Frida
The Aviator
Million Dollar Baby
Walk the Line

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Chanie:
Million Dollar Baby

Isn't that the one about the boxer?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chanie
Member # 9544

Yes, the movie is about her developing her boxing gift. Oh, was it only supposed to be academically gifted?

I'm also adding (assuming it doesn't have to just be academic):
What's Love Got to Do With It
The Sixth Sense

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Oh, I don't think it's just academic/intellectual. But I also don't consider being good at bashing someone's face in any kind of gift.

And I have huge issues with how that movie dealt with the notion of assisted suicide and related issues.

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's Game?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I think she wants movies she can watch now, Pop. [Wink]
Diana Bailey
Member # 8313

- posted      Profile for Diana Bailey   Email Diana Bailey         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved October Sky too, particularly after working with clients who are miners in WV.

I share Rivka's concerns about the way "Million Dollar Baby" dealt with assisted suicide...Clint Eastwood movies tend to be disturbing, although I thought the acting in "Mystic River was superb.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chanie
Member # 9544

There are a lot of things wrong with Million Dollar Baby. And I'm not going to argue whether boxing is a gift (I don't think I really have an opinion). But it was at least designed to be a movie about a woman who develops her gift by perservering.
rivka
Member # 4859

Fair enough. [Smile]
Chanie
Member # 9544

I should add that I haven't actually seen the movie, although I did follow the press hype. I had a cousin my age with a painful, terminal disease, so I have had several discussions about assisted suicide on a personal level.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Oh, I don't think it's just academic/intellectual. But I also don't consider being good at bashing someone's face in any kind of gift.

And I have huge issues with how that movie dealt with the notion of assisted suicide and related issues.

I have those same issues.
Plus the dippiness factors as well.
I can't even think of a movie that isn't a superhero movie...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Superman.

[Wink]

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
They're making Ender's Game into a movie!? WHEN!??!
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
As soon as Jake Lloyd signs the contract.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, I thought they were getting Haley Joel Osment?
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

They can't. He's 18 now. Alas!
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I was kidding . . .
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Were you?

Oh.

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Silly Rivka.

Can we still get the youngest Culkin kid?

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
Silly Rivka.

Where?
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
There!
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't Serenity qualify?

Also:

Musically gifted

The Shine, with Geoffrey Rush
Ray, with Jamie Foxx
On a certain level, one might even argue Phantom of the Opera

Militarily/Politically Gifted-

MacAurther
Rome, the Series (definately highlights Ceaser as one of the most brilliant leaders ever)
Alexander

Intellect-

Proof, with Gwyneth Paltro (boring but stirring)
The Royal Tenenbaums

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Gattacca's sort of the opposite and the same -- he lacks the "gifts" of others, but rises above them all anyway. Perhaps Quills might count, with the Marquis de Sade outwitting every censorship the warden throws at him, but... not really.

Huh. The responses in this thread, including my own, kinda disappoint me. Lisa's right on with Good Will Hunting, but aren't there any other films out there featuring a brilliant, Loki-esque trickster outwitting his way to the top? One tires of Tom Cruise Everyman in every stinking film...

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
aren't there any other films out there featuring a brilliant, Loki-esque trickster outwitting his way to the top?
Hmmm. As my mom always said, "It's not how smart you are, it's what you do with it, and how you treat others, that matters."

I prefer movies about people, brilliant or not, who care for others and do good things.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Royal Tenenbaums
That's a really good one. It deals w/ three people and their struggle to handle their special talents/gifts and their parents perception/use of those gifts. Good call T, and good movie.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
TV movie, but does anybody else remember The Kid with the 200 IQ, starring Gary Coleman?
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kenif
Member # 9629

- posted      Profile for Kenif   Email Kenif         Edit/Delete Post 
There are too many movies to list to be honest.

Whilst there are loads of great movies with geniuses (like Good Will Hunting as mentioned), there are also loads of cheap pap films where they make their main characters "geniuses".

How many trailers begin with "She was the top <insert miscelleneous job> in her field but..
For example Gothika, complete and utter pap but we're told that Halle Berry is the top pychologist around..

Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Real Genius.

And, in the same vein, Space Camp.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved October Sky!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Kenif:
There are too many movies to list to be honest.

Whilst there are loads of great movies with geniuses (like Good Will Hunting as mentioned), there are also loads of cheap pap films where they make their main characters "geniuses".

I do remember The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes from back when I was a kid. Omigod. I just looked it up on IMdb. Not only was the kid played by Kurt Russell (how old do I feel?), but they did a made for TV remake in 1995. Eww.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Heres one that I remembered.

The Wizard. The one about the Super Mario 3 kid. Good movie.

I've been wanting to avoid going into the genre, but a really good example would be things like Star Wars I-III following Anakin's gifts in matters of the force.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
Make fun of my choice if you want, but I would like to nominate 'Tuck Everlasting' for the list.
Though the movie itself questions whether eternal life/immortality is really a gift (or more of a curse).

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Tuck Everlasting doesn't count by my definition of "gifted". When I hear "gifted" I'm thinking talented. In Tuck's case, it's more of a state of being, rather than a talent. Drinking water out of a spring for immortality, does not make one gifted, since in all technicality, anyone who could travel can accomplish it.
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Donnie Darko, The Boy Who Could Fly, Stand by Me.

Isn't there a story about a kid who ran a marathon? I remember seeing a preview a few years ago, but I don't remember much about the movie.

As to "The Mighty," there is something about Kieran Culkin that's likable. It may be as minor as his pronounciation, but I like watching him on screen talking.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Niki watched Whale Rider last night for the first time, and she thought of this thread.

I'm not sure if I would consider Pai "gifted" in the way Lisa may mean it, but she is certainly a remarkable girl with many gifts.

At the very least, she was played by a gifted young actress [Smile] .

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

What about Pay it Forward?
Lisa
Member # 8384

The ending of that movie was so deeply offensive and gratuitous that it cancelled out any goodness the rest of it may have had.

And btw, Spider Robinson wrote about paying it forward long before this movie ever existed.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Irami Osei-Frimpong:
Donnie Darko,

I love Donnie Darko, but I'm not sure how it fits. Or even comes close.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.