FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » When is this NOT true?---from the Dao De Jing, chapter 17

Author Topic: When is this NOT true?---from the Dao De Jing, chapter 17
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"The best rulers are scarcely known by their subjects;
The next best are loved and praised;
The next are feared;
The next despised:
They have no faith in their people,
And their people become unfaithful to them.

When the best rulers achieve their purpose
Their subjects claim the achievement as their own."

when isn't this true? How does this apply to, say, your life experiences? politics? Discuss.

I've been wanting to make this thread for months.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess that makes me a pretty damn good ruler, since none of you know that you're being rule... I mean... nevermind.

[Monkeys]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's referring to SMOFs, for the most part.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes you *have* to use the bully pulpit -- and you have to reassure the public you're on top of things. That is, you have to be Winston Churchill.

Other times, you can be Eisenhower. We didn't end up with a slew of babies named Dwight or Eisenhower (unlike all the Roosevelts we got some 20 years earlier), but the country did well under him. Coolidge, too.

I think it might be the circumstances. When there's a major disaster being perceived, let them love you and back you. At other times, you can work quietly to prevent the major disaster.

First pass, anyway.

At work, I like best those managers who protect us from paperwork, mollify administrators, and let us do our jobs.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
What I've found true is...

The best Evangelists are scarcely known by their converts;
The next best are loved and praised;
The next are feared;
The next despised:
They have no faith in the people,
And the people do not come to their faith.

By Evangelist, I mean a spreader of any religion, and the protector of the faith of any faith.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
I see this as applying better to small groups or at least smaller kingdoms. Back when this was originally written I think it was perfectly true, and for a long time after.

It's still partly true, but when your government involves millions of people working in the bureaucracy it's a little different from a kingdom with a handful of nobles etc.

I would say it may or may not be true of things such as the presidency, but isn't that useful, while it could be quite useful for say a colonel in the army...

basically, replace "ruler" with "leader" and you're good to go

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.