FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Plan B from Outerspace

Author Topic: Plan B from Outerspace
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, not from outerspace.

As I'm sure many of you know the Birth Control Drug 'Plan B', which I guess could be considered a 'morning after pill', is probably going to be released as a non-presciption over-the-counter drug.

First, I'm all for 'Plan B' in general, but I'm confused how Plan B can be non-prescription when the normal Birth Control Pill which contains pretty much the same drugs in a lower dosage remains Presciption?

If normal Birth Control Pill were available over-the-counter, that in itself would probably decrease the need for Plan B.

Pure speculation on my part but it could be because there are long term consequences to taking Birth Control Pill over an extended period of time. Whereas, despite the higher dose, Plan B will only be taken on rare occassions, meaning that there is not time for long-term side effect to occur.

Yet, if Plan B becomes readily and easily available, it will probably become the birth control choice for most women, which for many women means frequent and repeated use, which opens the door the possible side effects.

Again, don't get me wrong, I am in favor of Plan B in general, and I have always thought that schools, doctors, and hospitals should do a better job of making women and girls aware of the availability of 'the morning after pill'. Many teen and other unwanted pregnancies could be avoided if people were better educated.

Still, there seems to be an inconsistency here. Birth Control Pills still require a prescription and doctors supervision, but essentially the same drug in Plan B does not require anything but a pocket full of money. As a side note: I'm curious how much Plan B will cost.

So far I have never seen any discussion of Plan B that resolves that inconsistency.

Just curious.

Steve/BlueWizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Normal birth control requires a lot more monitoring than Plan B, since Plan B is a one-time thing, and normal birth control has to be taken every day at the same time. Plus, long-term hormone stuff needs to be overseen by a doctor, whereas again...Plan B is a one-time thing. You're not supposed to take it all the time.

And I hadn't heard that it was going to be over the counter, but if it is, I'm glad.

Also, Planned Parenthood here lets you order Plan B in advance (in case you need it on a weekend, when they're closed). I think it costs like $35.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
What is the shelf life of Plan B? Can you stock up at home or bring it on vacation? Not that I plan to, just curious. Also, are the long term effects of frequent Plan B use simimlar to that of standard birth control pills? less? or more?
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you're supposed to take Plan B all that often...it throws off your hormone cycle, I think. It can have side effects like nausea and stuff when you take it. But I'm pretty sure the shelf life is similar to that of regular birth control pills. I don't know what that is though, since I use Nuvaring. But I think Nuvaring's shelf life is 3 months.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was a law that every pharmacy had to have Plan B available behind the counter for anyone of age who asked for it. Did I imagine that?
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
In reference to the possible long term effects of taking plan B continuously, I was reading a paper the other day that concluded the effects were no worse than taking the regular pill for a long period of time. I forget exactly what it said, I will edit this later when I get home from work and can get the info from my "Student Health Education Center" booklet (the place I volunteer at school).
Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think what has happened is the FDA has finally stopped dragging it's heals and avoiding the issue. I believe that are about to give approval to the drug, but I'm not sure what the distribution details are going to be yet.

There are several allegedly independant drug reviewers and consumer advocate groups who want is straight-forward on-the-shelf available-to-anyone distribution.

Others are lobbying for it only being available to people above a certain age with no questions asked, and only prescription free but behind-the-counter.

Still other want parental notification or parental consent for minors.

The government is lobbying for it being available only to age 18 and older. The company that makes it wants it available to age 16 and older, though they orginal sought to sell it without age restrictions.

Most of this is pure political manuvering. "In 2003, the FDA's scientific advisers overwhelmingly recommended Plan B as safe and effective enough to be sold over the counter without any age restriction. It was described as "safer than aspirin." Of course, that got the right wing up in arms in short order. Bowing to political pressure, the FDA has been stalling it's ruling and ignoring it own scientific advisory panel.

For the record, "Nine states already allow women to get Plan B without a doctor's prescription."

Searching 'Plan B' on Google News will bring up several articles on the subject.

Again, I am in favor of Plan B, but I do see this inconsistency. Yes, Plan B is only meant to be used once, but what happens when the next weekend arrives and you need to use it again. Or what if you have sex two days in a row, are you covered by one dose, or do you need to take it again? Are you safe if you take it before you go out on Saturday night as a preliminary precaution?

My point is that what starts out as an intended 'once' very quickly become 'once in a while', and then escallates into 'once' very often.

I suspect that the price is one thing that will stop frequent use. A box of 12 condoms is what about $10? If a single dose of Plan B is $30 to $40, that restricts use. It also prevents poor women who I suspect are more likely to need it, from having access to it.

Then again, I question who should really pay for this. I can imagine a girl saying 'if you want to do the deed, then you have to cough up $40' which opens a whole new kettle of worms.

One additional point, if a doctor prescibes Plan B, Medicare or other health coverage will pay for it. If it is over-the-counter, you are on your own.

As it stands now the maker of Plan B has to revise its FDA request to include an age restriction. Once that is done, the FDA will probably be forced to approve it.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

Just a few thoughts.

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.