FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Star Wars or Star Trek? (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Star Wars or Star Trek?
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Fair enough, Lyr.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Since we are all channeling Lucas hate. I don't understand how he could write a "Hero who rises to greatness" character as well as he did, and then totally fail at drawing it's polar opposite. Anakin's fall into the dark side was just so unconvincing for me. I dont think it was the actors fault either.

Anakin was supposed to have been "Seduced" by the dark side. Almost as if the potential the dark side had to offer him allowed him to forsake all that was good in his life. So what was the deal with him cutting off Mace Windu's hand? I mean the emperor is screaming, "Save me! Save me! I'm going to die! But I have the power you WANT! I HAVE THE POWER!!!"

Would you be very impressed if the man who is going to imbue you with the ultimate power can't even kill Mace Windu? Not only that, he had to use treachery and droids to kill all the other Jedi's because he himself could not handle them?

My last gripe:

WHAT WAS THE DEAL WITH AMIDALA NAMING THE TWINS? It would have been better written if her grunts and groans had been misinterpreted as names. Come on do it in your head, you know it works.

Where did she pull those names from? Would it have been so hard for her and Anakin to have just a short scene where they discuss the birth of the twins and what they would like to name them?

edited for spelling and clarity

[ August 29, 2006, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Well, the initial trilogy relied heavily on the archetypal hero myth used to great effect in stories for a couple thousand years. If you're interested, pick up a copy of Joseph Campbell's The Hero with a Thousand Faces, which has been described as the clothesline on which Lucas hung all the images in his head.

The story works so well in Eps 4-6 because we've already heard it for King Arthur, Perseus, Theseus, etc. etc.

For Eps 1-3, he had to come up with the story on his own... and he decided to go with a trade embargo and an immaculately conceived unstable whiny young Anakin.

Don't even get me started on the end of Ep 3... that was just awful.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Episode 4 was an even more specific story -- it extensively drew plot, including specific scenes, from The Hidden Fortress (a Kurosawa film).
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MyrddinFyre:
Hear, hear!

Thank you. [Razz]
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought episode III was the best out of all of them. But there are flaws in it. The fact that Anakin's fall is a little weak but I just think there wasn't enough time to fit it all in the film. I think there should be a film in between 3 and 4 that describes the fall of Anakin in more detail?
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Hero With a Thousand Faces came out after Star Wars.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

WHAT WAS THE DEAL WITH AMIDALA NAMING THE TWINS? It would have been better written if her grunts and groans had been misinterpreted as names. Come on do it in your head, you know it works.

Where did she pull those names from? Would it have been so hard for her and Anakin to have just a short scene where they discuss the birth of the twins and what they would like to name them?

Maybe because Anakin didn't know she was having twins? And that's how Leia went undiscovered until the fight scene in tESB?
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
narr, you noticed! That was totally all for you [Razz]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kasie H:
quote:

Maybe because Anakin didn't know she was having twins? And that's how Leia went undiscovered until the fight scene in tESB?
And to think I thought Anakin was especially gifted with the force.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

I'm confused...
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's the other thing that really bugged me about that pregnancy (besides her having no symptoms and looking four months along with a singleton when she was, apparently, full-term with twins)-- with all that advanced technology AND the Force, no one knew she was pregnant with twins? Did she have ANY prenatal care? Sheesh.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

quote:
Actually, Hero With a Thousand Faces came out after Star Wars.
No, actually, The Hero with a Thousand Faces came out in 1949, and has been reprinted several times since (with those reprinted after SW using an image of Luke Skywalker on the cover).

There's a lot of commentary about it here which also includes parallels in The Matrix.

B34N
Member # 9597

That's a cool site thanks for the link. Books inspire all movies in one way or another I think, nothing is completely original anymore?
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Here is another link that has quotes from Lucas regarding his use of Campbell's work.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kasie H:
quote:

The fight scene you refer to was in Ep6, no?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

Whoops, yeah, I think you're right.

"Sister. So you have a twin sister. Your feelings have now betrayed her, too."

B34N
Member # 9597

Click Me
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the whole Anakin didn't know she had twins thing doesn't make much sense.

It made a whole lot more sense when I assumed that Anakin left his wife before he even knew she was pregnant, then he never would have had the chance to learn. But someone as force sensitive as he was, should have been able to detect the force sensitive life within his wife, especially whilst hugging her.

It made sense before Episode III, but now I'd call it a plot hole.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.