FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Stinking Netflix

Author Topic: Stinking Netflix
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
The last two movies I've gotten from Netflix have been number 2 on my queue instead of my first pick. My first picks have been available. I don't know why this is happening, but it's making me very angry! Especially because I want to watch certain episodes in order, you know. [Mad] [Grumble]

Edit: Has anyone else been having this problem? Is there a way to complain to Netflix about it?

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're a person who returns movies right after receiving it, Netflix flags you as an overconsumer and deliberately doesn't give you really popular discs and takes longer sending you new ones.

There's a class-action suit against them because of this.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

No, I know about that and there has been no delay in getting discs... they're just not the ones I want.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
The service is not perfect, but it still better than standing in line.
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, class action suit?

I'm so totally pleased with Netflix, I couldn't imagine being upset with them. I go to mailbox and movies are there waiting. It's so cool.

Sorry m.b. that's happening to you. I have no idea why it would be that way. Do they have a customer service e-mail you use to ask them about it?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

I've always been very pleased with Netflix. I've been a member since the early summer of '04 and they've since opened an office in Honolulu, so my turn around time went from about 4 days to 2.

I'm not sure why I'm so upset by this. I've had a pretty stressful week and was looking forward to spending the weekend vegging out, knitting and watching the second season of Angel. Now, instead of getting discs 2 and 3, I'm getting #3 and the first disc of another series that I really wasn't wanting to start next. So do I watch Angel out of order or what? I've been jonesing for more David Boreanaz all week...

I guess it shows how pathetic my life is lately that the biggest thing I have to look forward to is a weekend of Angel and knitting, but I don't think I want to go there today. [Frown]

docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Netflix bites the wax tadpole.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you e-mail them about this?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! Email them! That will be great! Here's how it will go, taken from this actual transcript of an email exchange I had with them, only I have changed the names to protect my identity.

You: I am having problem A.

Them: I am so sorry you are having problem B. That is for various reasons that are simple to understand.

You: No, you don't understand. I am not having problem B. I am having problem A.

Them: I am sorry we thought you were having problem A. Problem B happens for various reasons that are easy to understand.

You: Please read this email carefully, as people have been hurrying through answers to me and cut-and-pasting replies that don't fit my problem. I am having problem A.

Them: I assure you that all emails are answered by real live people you want to help you solve your problem.

You: Glad to hear it. My problem is I am experiencing problem A.

Them: I am so sorry you are having problem B. That is for various reasons that are simple to understand.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
The suit is real, but newer consumers can't participate. Netflix has since added information in their agreement stating that if you rent X number of dvds per month you may not get your first pick and dvds may come more slowly. Blockbuster's service has the same problem and a similar suit pending.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Blockbuster's service has the same problem and a similar suit pending.
Really? Because their website specifically denies using the same practices as Netflix to delay movies to high-volume users.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Never used them, I'll just wait for the internet version of NetFlix to come out.
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't use em' never will. I'll just wait for the internet version of this stuff to be available through iTunes or the like, which is supposedly in the works right now.
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing I'm about to say probably means I've gone overboard with hatracking today, but is it possible that people who can't watch episodes out of order might have OCD? You get no such considerations from the networks. If it's that important, buy the series.

Now if it's an overall issue about Netflix tagging you someone who doesn't deserve the same customer services as others, then yes, they should be sued for that because the whole point of their service is as many movies as you can view for $x per month.

But people who have a high turnover of out of sequence series in particular should be disallowed from the suit.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what movie you're waiting for that shows as available, but maybe they just don't have it in stock in the Hawaii center. I don't know if they would then ship it direct from another location or if they have to transfer it to Hawaii from say, San Fran. But maybe that's the sitch?

Personally, I love my Netflix service, even with the choking allegations. And I'm definitely one of those high-volume customers. I think the only times I've gotten #2 on the list is because #1 is marked as "long wait".

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
The thing I'm about to say probably means I've gone overboard with hatracking today, but is it possible that people who can't watch episodes out of order might have OCD? You get no such considerations from the networks. If it's that important, buy the series.

I don't think that wanting to watch episodes in order means that at all, pooka. In a series like the original Star Trek, where there is no larger story arc, there's no need to bother with seeing them in order (unless you're interested in seeing how this or that element of the show evolved, I suppose), but if there is any kind of a larger story arc wanting to watch the episodes in order is as natural as wanting to read books in a series in order.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:

I don't think that wanting to watch episodes in order means that at all, pooka. In a series like the original Star Trek, where there is no larger story arc, there's no need to bother with seeing them in order (unless you're interested in seeing how this or that element of the show evolved, I suppose), but if there is any kind of a larger story arc wanting to watch the episodes in order is as natural as wanting to read books in a series in order.
Seconded. Almost every show I can think of requires continuity -- Oz, Battlestar Galactica, even Arrested Development -- and skipping entire discs makes as much sense as reading book chapters out of order.

I have no idea why wanting to watch a story in the same sequence that it's told might imply OCD.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too. Oz has to be watched in order. Sopranos too...

I do love Netflix though... I missed it so much.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Blockbuster may have changed their policy in the wake of the Netflix suit but at one point they did exactly the same thing. Original Netflix users are the ones who are suing the company for the policy (I was offered the chance to join the suit and declined) because it was not outlined in the user agreement at the time that this would occur. Essentially, if you are someone who regularly receives more than a specific number of movies per month, you are tagged as a high-use customer and you may not get preferrential treatment on popular films. Basically, the company is saying, "We know that you are using our service and will probably stay with us even if you don't get this new release immediately because we send you upwards of X movies per month. But this other customer only gets 3 movies per month even though he is paying for the unlimited use service, so we will give him priority on new releases and popular items so that he doesn't decide to cancel his service." Newer customers (I don't know the date that the user agreement changed) aren't allowed in the suit because the current revised Netflix user agreement states that this policy is in effect at the time you sign up and you are therefore agreeing to this policy and this treatment.

Edit: Despite the fact that I was a high-use customer of Netflix at one time (I was practically broke, didn't have cable and couldn't get a signal on ANY channel using a regular antenna so I sent movies back as soon as I watched them) I never noticed this practice or had a problem with slow service. That's why I didn't join the suit.

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

So this Saturday, I pick up the mail, resigned to watching Angel out of order (along with Nero Wolfe, which I wasn't going to start just yet). There in my mailbox is a plastic bag from the USPS with half of a Netflix envelope inside... the wrong half of course, and no disc. And of course, it was Angel. [Cry]

I went to the website to complain, and of course, there's no button for "only half the envelope arrived in the mail and no disc", so I followed a bunch of vague references to "contact us" and was finally allowed to email them with my problem.

When I logged in this morning, I had an email from them stating that they'd received the Angel disc and would be sending the next disc in my daughter's queue... which is School of Rock <gag me>. I get Jack Black when I want David Boreanis. How cruel is that?

I am actually relieved though. I was worried I'd have to wait the full 6 days before I could claim that the disc hadn't arrived. I guess this problem is self-correcting at least.

We enjoyed Nero Wolfe, although I watched most of the series when it was on A&E 4-5 years ago. And of course, this problem was not Netflix's fault and is all settled now.

I guess I just wasn't meant to watch Angel this weekend. This coming Friday is a State Holiday, so here's hoping I can get the discs by then.

Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are getting tv shows out of order, don't add one until the one before it has shipped. I usually keep all but the one I want at the bottom of my list, and just bump them up as needed.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

Yeah, I usually do that, but this weekend, I had disc 2 as my #1 and my daughter had disc 3 as her #1. I've never had a problem before, except when I accidentally ordered season 5 instead of season 1, but that was my fault.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The Netflix lawsuit is over. They settled for giving everyone two months of a free upgrade which, if you do not deliberately cancel it, they will then charge you at the higher price.

It's awful. [Frown] Hate Netflix, nasty, stinking company [Frown]

My DVD player broke last week, though, and I haven't bought a new one. I went to and I bought shoes instead and two shirts instead.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
The suit is settled??? I never got notice, and yes I opted into the class.

I'm searching online and seeing lots of stories dated November 2005 claiming that the case was settled, but I'm absolutely certain that it went back to the judge early this year (February maybe?). There were hundreds of objectors to the settlement as originally submitted, specifically to the clauses allowing for automatic renewal of the higher service level and the short amount of time available to use the settlement benefit. So the judge told them to go back and redo it. In fact, www.netflixsettlementsucks.com has a message on the home page saying that the objection they (we? I was a signer on that one) filed worked and that settlement had to be renegotiated, but there's no date on it anymore and all the other pages that were on the site are delinked.

The registration page on Netflix' site (which has been delinked but I tracked down via Google) said that registration had been re-opened for the revised settlement but the cut-off date there was June 26 (as opposed to last September or October for the original settlement agreement).

I'm still trying to find a way into the court docket in between doing other work...

[ August 14, 2006, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Goody Scrivener ]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by maui babe:
So this Saturday, I pick up the mail, resigned to watching Angel out of order (along with Nero Wolfe, which I wasn't going to start just yet).

Aha! So you're one of the culprits making me frequently have short waits on my Angel discs!
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah, I usually do that, but this weekend, I had disc 2 as my #1 and my daughter had disc 3 as her #1. I've never had a problem before, except when I accidentally ordered season 5 instead of season 1, but that was my fault.

Have you tried setting up a seperate queue for your daughter? When Netflix started letting you set up seperate lists for people in the household, my relationship with my wife got a lot better.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

She has a separate queue... that's what I was trying to say up there. I got #2 from my queue instead of #1 and she got #1 which was disc 3.

My girls like it a lot, but it means we get movies like Orange County and School of Rock, which I would NEVER choose...

maui babe
Member # 1894

quote:
Originally posted by BaoQingTian:
quote:
So this Saturday, I pick up the mail, resigned to watching Angel out of order (along with Nero Wolfe, which I wasn't going to start just yet).

Aha! So you're one of the culprits making me frequently have short waits on my Angel discs!
I've never had a wait for any Angel discs. The only time I've ever seen a wait was for extremely new releases...

I seem to remember you live back east somewhere, like Georgia or something? Maybe the Netflix centers here in the west have more of the good stuff. [Wink]

BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in Nevada actually. I think I get most of my movies from the San Jose center or something like that.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

Well, I'm not taking the blame for your waits. We started watching Angel last spring, but my girls made me promise not to watch any while they were on the mainland with their dad for the summer. I watched Buffy instead. I enjoyed it, but not as much as Angel. There was too much teen angst for my taste. Since my girls came home, we've only seen one Angel disc, so I'm not being greedy. Really I'm not.
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Probably Netflix is trying to help you. School of Rock is really a good movie. You should give it a chance.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

My boyfriend took me to see it in the theater. I didn't like it much... I just can't take much of Jack Black.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.