FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Female Authors (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Female Authors
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
quote:
I thought the same thing. Or, more accurately, I think the story should have ended with A Civil Campaign, and Diplomatic Immunity is proof of that.

Are you saying here that "Diplomatic Immunity" is no good? I got it out the library because of this thread, but if it's not a good one of Bujold's to read first I suppose I should probably not.

Diplomatic Immunity is a good book compared to most books out there. Compared to Bujold's other books it's subpar (in my opinion). Regardless, it's the last in the series chronologically, so I wouldn't recommend reading it first.

I would start with either "Cordelia's Honor" or "The Warrior's Apprentice." Personally, I think "Cordelia's Honor" is the better book, but obviously other people posting disagree with me.

I disagree that Bujold's books are merely "fun." I think they can be read just for enjoyment. However, if you look at all closely you'll find there's a lot more there then just an adventure story.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Do not read Diplomatic Immunity first if you are at all concerned about spoilers for the other books. It takes place later and would give many, many things away. It's a wonderful book, but you will enjoy it and its predecessors much more if you read them in order.

Theaca: Denver? That is easy driving distance from here. Hmmmm . . .

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.denver2008.com/
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
[Smile] That is a good opening line. I've been lugging that book from apartment to apartment for years; maybe it's time I dug it out of its box and read it.

Silent Tower first. I need to find mine (or replace 'em if I don't have 'em anymore, which is quite possible), and reread. Then get my hands on book 3, which I don't believe I read.

And Denver is a place I would like to visit. I have lots of friends there. And I didn't make it to WorldCon when it was just a few miles away!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, have you read the third in the Hambly series? The Silicon Mage is followed by Dog Wizard. I really enjoyed that one too.

Edit: Ha. That'll teach me to read the entire thread.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*giggle*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
::makes note to look for Silent Tower at the library::

You know, I might be able to make the Denver thing too. My brother and sister in law live in Colorado Springs, so I could incorporate a visit to them into the trip.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.