FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I am the luckiest person ever.

Author Topic: I am the luckiest person ever.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, this has nothing to do with my wife or Sasha.

It has nothing to do with the fact that this weekend emergency work on my backyard fence required me to use a lever, and the week before someone broke my axe off its handle. They are replacing the broken handle, but the broken one is the perfect size lever for my fence work.

It has nothing to do with a mistake I made years ago when building my fence, resulted in me not having to take down the whole freak'n thing to allow the septic tank to be replaced.

No.

My luck demonstrated itself while clearing the field behind the fence, where the septic tank drainage field lay. I had been unable to clear this are all summer, but my riding mower had just been repaired. So I blindly cut a trail through the grass, unable to see what was below me.

It didn't matter, since I knew where every rock, stump, and odd bit of fencing lay. What dangerous thing could there be now that wasn't there three months ago.

Can you say Wasp Nest.

I ran directly over a wasps nest. The inhabitants, unhappy with my landscaping, swarmed out and buzzed angrilly around their ruined home.

Not one of them attacked me.

By the time I realized what I had done, the lawn mower had carried me 10 feet away. By the time I kicked it up into high gear and raced away, they were not even looking for me.

Am I lucky, or what.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
You ARE lucky.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
That by all rights should be the standard definition of lucky, I'm not even kidding.

edit: I would have jumped off the mower and starting sprinting to be honest.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was going to end with you collapsing your septic tank and narrowly avoiding a fate worse than death or something, but wasps are good and entertaining, too.

Glad you made it out o.k., Dan. [Smile]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Cow - Dan_raven - glad you high-tailed it out of there! Wasps are about the only insects that are really scary to me... their stings seem the worst. Got one last year and my calf was swollen with a black circle in it near the top for literally a month.

Hooray for Luck (and riding lawnmowers)!!!

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy doodle! If it'd been me, I'd be dead... I'm allergic to wasps.

<derail>

A few weeks before I left Canada, while I was packing up, a friend of mine came up to visit me, a two hour+ drive for her. She felt it was absolutely necessary to come for a visit Right Then. For no reason other than because she felt she had to. So she did.

She arrived and noticed a wasp nest between the two panes of glass in my kitchen window. It was still small - about four inches in diameter - but still, big enough to harbour wasps. Well, I'm allergic, so it could have been extremely nasty for me.

She cleaned it out while I locked myself in another room. And then she found another, much larger wasp nest in the dryer outtake thingie. And she took care of it, too.

I was very, very lucky that day.

</derail>

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.