FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pen Again - a new way to write

Author Topic: Pen Again - a new way to write
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in love. This pen is the greatest.

Check it out.

I love to write longhand, when I'm working on my novel, or poetry, or anything creative, I find that I'm freer writing long hand than typing. When I type, my internal editor is unforgiving, when I write long hand I can shut her up.

But, I have terrible technique. When my son was undergoing occupational therapy, the therapist just shook her head when she saw me holding my pen. Told me it should have been corrected when I was young, I have one of the worst thumb-wraps she's ever seen in an adult. Therefore, writing gets difficult for me because my hold causes so much tension.

This completely relieves all tension. It looks awkward, but I can attest there is no, repeat no learning curve. The moment you pick it up you can write normally. I tried printing and cursive with it. My signature looks the same. But it is soooo comfortable. I'm getting my mom one because her arthritis is making writing more difficult.

I got mine at Wal-Mart, but a quick internet search shows they're widely available and can be ordered online. I paid about 4 dollars, but they're refillable and it came with two refills.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I have done so much typing and compuer work in the past few years, except for signing my name, I've realized that I can't write longhand anymore--at least not readably.

The pen looks interesting.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
What's a "pen"?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if this would help someone I know - an elderly man who has had carpal tunnel surgery. His hands shake really bad, and he can barely write at all - hardly legibly. I'll have to look for it.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
What's a "pen"?

It's a bit like a Palm stylus combined with a mini-printer.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I sent this link to a coworker who has a high functioning autistic daughter, one of the girl's biggest issues are holding writing implements, but they need her to do it for brain development rather than just typing.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if this would also be good for my son, who has suffered from dysgraphia for years, and it is difficult for him to even write checks (he loves his debit card for that reason). Getting him to write anything is a chore. They tried OT with him, but it didn't help much.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
See, I'm the opposite Belle. I have a hard time shutting up my internal editor when I write longhand, but the problem is that the only regular time I really have to write is when I'm on the train -- and I don't have a laptop and won't be getting one anytime soon.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
That thing looks pretty cool. I'd be willing to try it out, but I'll probably wait until they have a mechanical pencil version (the site said that it was in the works). I only ever use pens for writing checks or signing documents, and neither of those tasks are long enough to justify a special pen.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my, that is a nifty looking pen.
Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I pulled it out at gymnastics today when I was busy helping my kids with their homework. All the other gymnastics moms are envious of my cool pen. Though my daughter calls it a "geeky" pen.

I tried it with my son Daniel, who has hypotonia and struggles a bit with writing, but his finger is too short. They need to create one specifically for young children.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that probably would really have helped me in early elementary school if they had had one small enough. I met with an occupational therapist, but she gave up and just taught me to type.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks very cool. Too bad I don't write anymore. My signature has degenerated into a few waves on the paper too...
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I want one of those.

Thanks for the link, Belle. [Smile]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks freaky. I might try one out, but like many people, I only use pens for signing things and writing out envelopes and post-its.

I currently have a pint glass filled to overflowing with pens. I worry that such a wide one wouldn't fit [Frown]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What's a "pen"?

It's short for penitentiary; meaning enclosure.
possible synonyms: cage, can, clink, close, cooler, coop, corral, fence, fold, hedge, hutch, jail, penitentiary, pokey, prison, sty, wall [Wink]

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What's a "pen"?

Which reminds me of the time my dad was complaining because he couldn't print an address that was on the computer screen (printer was busted). He kept saying, "How the heck am I supposed to remember this if I can't print it out?" To which my mother replied, "Use a pen and paper, dear."
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Daily cool pen report:

Last night I went to bed, taking with me a notebook and my cool pen. Usually I consider it a good night if I write one page of poetry or work on my novel in an evening. This time I was still writing furiously when my husband came up to bed and told me it was time to turn off the light and sleep.

I had written four pages in the same time frame I usually write one and unlike all the other nights, there was no pain in my hand.

If this novel ever gets published, the makers of Pen Again may be on my dedication page, along with Mrs. M who gave me the wonderful lap desk I use to write in bed.

theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
I got mine at Wal-Mart, but a quick internet search shows they're widely available and can be ordered online. I paid about 4 dollars, but they're refillable and it came with two refills.

[Cry] None of the Walmarts or Office Depots near me have this pen. I think I'll just hold out for the soon-to-be-released mechanical pencil version and order it online.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
My issue with writing is the fact English is designed to be written left to right. Any other leftys get ink or pencil lead on their hands as they write across a page? [Frown]

Chinese hates me too, stroke order was designed assuming the writer is right handed as well. Some of the strokes just CANT be made by a left handed person, and we get penalized for it.

Perhaps I should just sit down and learn to write right handed. People have done it before.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

Learning to write with the opposite hand is hard because not only are the muscles weaker, but you have to learn completely new motions as well. It's trivially easy for me to write backwards and right to left with my left hand, but writing correctly with it is very difficult.

Of course, if Chinese is something you really want to be proficient in, it might be worth it to learn Chinese with your right hand. I find that when I am first learning a new task is the ideal time to choose which hand to use.

--Mel

cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle - When you say thumb wrap do you mean that your thumb goes all crazy out of place and curls around the rest of your hand (mostly your pointer finger)?

BlackBlade - I am so with you it's ridiculous. When I was younger, I used to get asked if I'd hurt myself... but it was really just residuals of a day of writing and doodling left on my hand. I took Japanese for a semester in college and found the same thing you did with Chinese - I went back to Spanish. Sell-out move, I know.

I dig the computer - but I'm even more into the written word... Almost every day I find myself with a pinky that looks like it's broken...

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I could use that pen. I rest the pen on my ring finger and wrap the first and second fingers over it.

Very cool looking though.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.