FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Age appropriate?

Author Topic: Age appropriate?
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
So I was sitting in the bus today on my way home from school, studiously trying to do a crossword.

I say "studiously" because a couple seats behind me was a yound woman and her young son(maybe six or seven). She was reading out loud to him, in a voice that carried well. "Oh," I thought, "it's nice to hear a parent reading to their kid."

I smiled a little internal smile and went back to my crossword. I try to finish them before the bus gets me back to the apartment, though I don't think I've ever succeeded (I have better luck with sudoku). After a few stops, I was stuck for answers, my attention wandered, and I found myself half-listening to the story.

"Huh," I thought "that passage sounds a bit like Fight Club. How odd for a children's book."

Then I heard the name "Marla Singer." It was Fight Club.

Now, personally, I think we shelter kids a bit too much in this country. I'm not sure if, in general, we give kids the credit they deserve. That said, this scene bothered even me.

Reading Palahniuk to a six-year-old. Wow.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
That's just disturbing. I wonder what questions the little tyke will have when mommie spouts off Marla's line "I haven't been ____ed like that since grade school!"

Will he want to change schools? [Dont Know] [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Morbo:
That's just disturbing. I wonder what questions the little tyke will have when mommie spouts off Marla's line "I haven't been ____ed like that since grade school!"

Will he want to change schools? [Dont Know] [Evil Laugh]

That wasn't the original quote. The original was "I want to have your abortion"...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0137523/trivia

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wonder what questions the little tyke will have when mommie spouts off Marla's line "I haven't been ____ed like that since grade school!"
If I remember correctly, the line in the book was "I want to have your abortion." I believe that this was deemed too offensive for the movie (I don't know by who), so they replaced it with the line above.

Edit: beaten to the punch [Grumble] .

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew that but had forgotten that quote was changed. I wouldn't want to explain abortions to a 6- year-old either.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
At least it wasn't, uh, any of Pahlaniuk's other novels.
Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. When I was in kindergarten, my daddy was reading The Secret Garden and The Little Prince to me.

I think I prefer my dad's style.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Wow. When I was in kindergarten, my daddy was reading The Secret Garden and The Little Prince to me.

I think I prefer my dad's style.

The Little Prince may be the most frustratingly complex children's book known to man. I'm glad my mother didn't read it to me when I was young, I would've spent WAY too much time thinking about it.
Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I REALLY did not enjoy The Little Prince, I was just too young to appreciate its brand of symbolism I suppose.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a problem with this young woman. In fact, I think this is a good thing. Just wanted to say so.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, since my dad discussed the symbolism with me as we went while we read The Little Prince, it didn't bother me, and made re-reading later easier. [Smile]

When we were 7 and 4, my dad read my brother and me The Odyssey and The Iliad(a translation/retelling for children.) They were awesome stories for kids, too.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom read outloud to me whatever she was reading herself most of my childhood. That usually wasn't too bad seeing as she was getting a degree in Secondary Education: english, and took lots of kids lit courses. But I do remember being read The Life and times of Beetoven at about three.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.

I mean, I've met children who've seen movies that I hadn't seen at thirteen, but I always chalked that up to a certain amount of laziness- you don't have to do anything to watch a movie. To deliberately read a book that is innaproppriate takes special skill.

I bet this was more of the situation that mother was reading Fight Club and little Billy wanted her to pay attention to him. The compromise (O.o) was her reading her totally inappropriate book to him.

I'm sure she would have censored anything really bad. It was probably just passing the time.

quote:
My mom read outloud to me whatever she was reading herself most of my childhood.
There are thousands of great adult books (and movies) that are perfectly suitable for children (if not totally understandable [Wink] ).
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's what I generally think about children being exposed to adult material. Most of it they won't understand and therefore won't really remember.

To an extent, children really are shielded by innocence. I think a lot of what adults worry about children seeing/hearing/reading is really the adult projecting his/her own biases/insecurities onto the child. In retrospect, I probably did a little of that on the bus yesterday.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
The only problem is when the child's innocence leads them to ask questions.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jh
Member # 7727

- posted      Profile for jh   Email jh         Edit/Delete Post 
Questions lead to knowledge. Children should ask questions; it is the parent who might be uncomfortable answering.
Posts: 155 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Demonstrocity:
At least it wasn't, uh, any of Pahlaniuk's other novels.

I was gonna say the same thing. If you gotta read a CP book to a kid, Fight Club is probably your best bet. Although I think it would be more amusing to read Lullaby to a child. In fact, next time my nephew comes over...
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To an extent, children really are shielded by innocence.
To an extent, yes. But why not read something that isn't in danger of eroding that? Children may not recognise everything in the book, but it piles up- it may pile up as normal.

You don't want Fight Club to be normal.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I read Nathan my college text books and class notes for bedtime stories. He had great fun with my business law text. *smile*

And clearly had a better retentive memory than most of the students in the class. *grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.