FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I got a car!

Author Topic: I got a car!
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, I'm so excited right now. I bought a silver 2000 Pontiac Grand Am with 53k miles on it. Looks like this I worked two jobs this summer to save up enough money. I'm getting my license next week, I have an appointment on Friday at 4pm and I'll be taking my car. I didn't think I'd have my own car by the time the test came and I was worried I'd have to drive my mom's Dodge Caravan.

My dad and I went to a dealer today and we spent about 6 hours there. The car started off as $8000, my dad argued for awhile and eventually they settled on $5600. My dad still said no and we were walking out the door on $5000 when they called us back in and eventually we got $4100 for it! I was so impressed with my dad I didn't think he was such a good negotiator. But he's Israeli and he knows what he's doing [Big Grin] . I'm so psyched right now, I keep going in the garage every 5 minutes to look at it. I've been looking forward to this for so long, all my friends had cars already and I was still being driven around by my mom [Wink] .

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
First cars are cool. Good luck, buckle up and congrats. [Wink]
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
you got them down to 50% of the asking price???

Can I hire your dad out when I need to buy my next vehicle?

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! My first car was a hand-me-down from my parents... I bought my first new (to me aka gently used) car a few years ago. It's a great thing to have freedom like that - freedom to go where you want, when you want, with the people you want to be there with.

Be Safe! Enjoy! Does the car have a name?

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Yeah, my dad was incredible, but the original $8000 price was obviously meant to be bargained lower, and they wouldn't have gone a dime lower than $4100. After my dad offered the final price the manager thought for 10 minutes and ansswered in an annoyed voice "Fine!" and walked away and I could tell he wasn't acting and that really was the lowest he would go.

My dad kept finding "problems" with the car like he said the tires were in horrible condition and that they should either replace them or drop the price $400 so we can buy our own. They didn't double-check themselves to see if the tires were as bad as he said and as soon as we drove away in the car my dad told me the tires were fine and we didn't really need to change them [Big Grin] .

I'm thinking hard about a name, I'll have to talk it over with my friends, but it's definitely going to be a female name. Any suggestions? The pic in my first post looks exactly the same as mine.

And a mechanical question: I'm going to be keeping my car in our garage since we have no other place to put it. I live in South Florida where it will get pretty hot in my garage. Is it bad for the car if it's stored in a place where it's very, very hot? I have a floor fan which I don't use, should I stick it in the garage and point it at the car after I'm done driving it? Or are cars fine if they are stored in a hot place?

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Your Dad's definitely a good negotiator... It's all (well, maybe not all but...) about calling possible shots and seeing if anyone verifies them. Nice work, Dad!!

My car's Falcor (from the Neverending story...). Not because of how he looks, but 'cause he's there for me whenever I need! Not sure if you're into 'mutants' but - I see some Iceman traits in your car... The sleek, silver look... glides along safely, if not 'perfectly' to where she needs to go... White Queen aka Emma Frost?

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Hmm I'm liking Emma Frost, with just Emma for short. Definitely a possibility. Thanks for that.
cmc
Member # 9549

No sweat... Let me know what you go with, just because I'm curious. : )

Congrats again. And - Drive well on Friday!!!

ps - are you in the garage looking at your car again??? ; )

Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
*echoes Strider's question* That sounds like a really good deal - your dad rocks!

Congrats on the car!! Drive safe!! [Smile]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm going to be keeping my car in our garage since we have no other place to put it. I live in South Florida where it will get pretty hot in my garage. Is it bad for the car if it's stored in a place where it's very, very hot? I have a floor fan which I don't use, should I stick it in the garage and point it at the car after I'm done driving it? Or are cars fine if they are stored in a hot place?
No problem here. The garage was made to keep the car in. The sun is the problem not the heat. The important parts of the car will be at a much higher tempature as you drive than they ever would be in the garage. But, you need to store it out of the sun. The sun will fade your paint, damage your overcoat, (that makes it shiny) and rot your upholstery.
The most important thing you can do now to keep it (and you) looking good, is to practice, practice, practice then practice some more before you try to drive with your friends in the car. Get a good handle on driving in all kinds of conditions before you take on the added distractions of a group of good friends. I know that isn't what you want to hear. But, your bumper, grill and front body panels will thank you. So will your pretty face.

Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Thanks everyone and thanks for the mechanical help Artemisia. One last question, after I start driving by myself for awhile, do you think putting a cold air intake is worth it? [Big Grin] Like this one. I hear intake systems help on gas and also add a little extra muscle on the car. I have a decent amount of money left from my jobs and I'm looking to spend about $150 to spice up the car a little so it's not completely stock. Any advice on what to buy for it?
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard that devices that like usually make a pretty negligible difference on both power and performance. Do the research first to see if it's worth it.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:
Thanks everyone and thanks for the mechanical help Artemisia. One last question, after I start driving by myself for awhile, do you think putting a cold air intake is worth it? [Big Grin] Like this one. I hear intake systems help on gas and also add a little extra muscle on the car. I have a decent amount of money left from my jobs and I'm looking to spend about $150 to spice up the car a little so it's not completely stock. Any advice on what to buy for it?

Depending on the car and the quality of the intake, you're looking at boosting performance by 1-4 horsepower and fuel economy similarly. Honestly, your money would be better spent doing basic maintenance on the car; changing fuel/air filters, oil, fluids, etc. You'll likely see much more of a difference by doing the above than any aftermarket mod you can afford.
Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

If you're into music - I say use some of your leftover cash to make the sound quality better? That's one thing I didn't do with my car, but my kid bro did a couple years later. I was a little jealous... : )

Or - if you live where it's warm a lot - maybe tint the windows. It really does help...

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Wooh! I passed the test!

I was nervous that I wasnt going to by the time the test was over, but I lost 15 points and you are allowed to lose 30 so I made it kind of comfortably.

The mistakes I made where forgetting to signal during my 3 point turn (which turned out to be a 5 point turn for me [Wall Bash] but I heard beforehand that it doesn't matter), and I remembered I forgot to signal as soon as I turned all the way to the left.

Also, after all of the millions of advice that every single person gave me, no one told me how to park on a hill! Not that we have hills in Florida, but for some strange reason the examiner asked me to tell him how to park on a hill. I rememembered someone once saying thing about turning your wheel a certain way. I used a little common sense and said first you tell your wheel right, which was right. And then you put your hand brake on. And then...he said "anything else?" in a way that clearly suggested that I was forgetting something else, but I told him I wasn't sure and wanted to [Wall Bash] against the steering wheel. But I nailed my parking perfectly, stopped at stop signs and waited an hour, and backed up perfectly straight in my lane. All I know is I passed and I'm happy! [Big Grin]

And tonight I celebrated by going out to the movies and other stuff with a bunch of friends. My parents were pretty pissed because I'm not supposed to drive past 11 pm (I got home at 12) and they especially didn't want me driving late on my first time by myself. But I got home safely and didn't do anything wrong driving so they're not as mad as I thought they'd be.

[Big Grin]

Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! Independence feels pretty good, eh?
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Good Job! I can't wait until I can drive.
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought my first new car earlier this year, and I still love it! [Smile] Congrats on the car, and on passing the test. Enjoy the freedom!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And tonight I celebrated by going out to the movies and other stuff with a bunch of friends. My parents were pretty pissed because I'm not supposed to drive past 11 pm (I got home at 12) and they especially didn't want me driving late on my first time by myself. But I got home safely and didn't do anything wrong driving so they're not as mad as I thought they'd be.
Oh well. So much for listening to some old guy's advice! Most accidents with new drivers occur when they have friends in the car. Now, just for me, please spend some time practicing your driving without your frends present. Drive until you are confident in the car and can act and react naturally, without having to think about the process. Friends are a distraction. (Thats what friends are for.) You don't need distractions right yet.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

No, I only had two close friends with me on the way and I took one person home and I told them all not to say a word to me while I was driving. It wasn't distracting at all. I've been driving alot with my dad still and a little by myself, I've been going on the highway to my cousin's house alot who lives about 20 minutes away because my little brothers are sleeping there, so I got alot of practice in there.
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

OK. Its just that the older I get, the scarier some of these things get. You should see me when my Boy Scouts start scaling cliffs or such things that I used to do without a thought. But, now, it stops my heart. And I insist on things like helmets and belay ropes that I used to think were sissy stuff. Cars are so much fun, and so dangerous if you make just one little misjudgement.
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, your first car is that car you're gonna judge every other car you ever drive by. You made an interesting choice, but I think a good one. I hope you and your new car have a long, fruitful relationship.

If I'm not overly prying... why a four-door?

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

(answering for GaalD.) Because they look as sharp as a Grand Prix and cost one third as much.

Also, they are much more comfortable when you take a (shudder) group of friends along.
My son's high school friends all had small pickups. He had a K-car. He drove for all group outings.

Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm not one to criticize or cast aspersions. My own first car was a used soft-top Suzuki Samurai.
Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you name the car yet? I think she looks like a Daphne.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, every Israeli I've talked to makes negotiating sound like an art form. But no one in America is ever really taught to haggle, or much about bargaining in general. We either accept the sticker price, or don't buy it. Great job on that.

Congrats on the car. My first car was an 89 Cutless Sierra called "The Chick Mobile" which was a hand me down from my grandmother. Now I drive a 2002 Focus, which I bought brand new, and has yet to be named actually.

Good luck on the naming.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on the license and the car! I just got my license a little less than a year ago, and have had a lot of fun being independent and being able to go where I want to.

I drive an '89 Buick Riviera that is a hand-down from my mom. It doesn't have a name...though all my friends describe it as my "pimpin' ride" since the Riviera was one of the first cars to have a touch-screen computer as the radio/clock/diagnostic center/etc. controls. It's pretty cool.

Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Thanks everyone.

I went for a sedan instead of a coupe for a few reasons. First, my dad said the insurance is more if you have a coupe, because I guess it makes it more sportier. I like coupes as much as anyone else, but I think that four doors looks pretty good on this car and I didn't really like how the coupe looks. I'd say they were equal overall so I'd be happy with either. And, like Artemisia said, I'll probably be driving a few people around every now and then and sedans are way more comfortable, most of my friends have coupes and I hate squeezing in the back of them.

I've been loving the independance, I drove around alot this weekend and it feels so good to not have to wait for a ride and I can leave places whenever I want.

genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And, like Artemisia said, I'll probably be driving a few people around every now and then
Beware of any state laws you may have restricting the number of teenage passengers you may carry at one time.

I know that Missouri just passed a new law saying people with their intermediate license for under 6 months could only have one other person under 19 in the vehicle. People with their intermediate license for 6 months or more could have up to 3 people under 19. That restriction didn't apply to immediate family, though. (BTW, an intermediate license is what people 16-18 carry. MO is on a graded license scale.)

Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought a 2007 Toyota Camry LE V6. After test driving a Nissan Altima, Chevy Impala, Pontiac Grand Prix, Honda Accord and Hyundai Sonata, I decided on the Camry. Some of my friends are making fun of me for buying what they call an "old person's car." I think the redesigned 2007 looks pretty snazzy though, and with 260 horsepower, they'll be eating their words. Linkage.

I managed to get $2000 off the MSRP sticker price. I was pretty happy with that result, as I was not confident in my haggling skills.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
...since when is the Camry and "old person's car"?!

That's like saying the Honda Accord, Chevy Malibu or the freakin' Lexus IS is an old person's car. Take your friends for a drive, they'll eat their words!

Also, congrats on the car!

Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
One of my exes told me that I drive a 40-year-old tennis playing metrosexual businessman's car.

Apparently, any four-door car is too grown-up. [Razz]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
No, this is an old person's car. Median buyer age: 70.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Heh, my dad drives that car as a limousine. A few years ago I asked him that after he's finished using it, since you can only use an old limo for a certain amount of years, if I can have it. I think I'd rather have my car now, though it's kind of pissing me off that every time I see another person driving a Grand Am it's a middle-aged woman. [Embarrassed]
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on passing the test and getting your car! I like it. [Smile] I've always driven sedans, myself. I hate the large, heavy doors of coupes. They're hard for me to close.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an excellent full bolt on CAI from my 2002 (four door as well [Razz] ) Grand Am lying around somewhere that I'd sell you for half price. I took it off because my wife drives the car all the time now and the combination of the CAI and the Borla exhaust sounded a bit too aggressive for her. It was used for about 25,000 miles or so.

It's a K&N inverted cone, and the rubber that connects the pipe pieces is red. Let me know if you're interested.

Edit: Opps, I forgot to ask, is yours the GT or SE. Judging from your pic it's an SE...is it a 4 cylinder, or the 3.4L V6 (judging from your dad's other advice I assume he recommended the V6). If you're interested, I can see if the intake I have is compatible with the SE...if so bonus for you cause you wouldn't have to tear out all the Ram Air plastic.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

I drive the SE, 4 cylinder. I'm not really sure how my dad's other advice suggested I drive a V6, since he didn't even want me getting a coupe because it's too sporty? Unless you live within driving distance from me, I don't think that'll work. What state do you live in? And how much is it?
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the one I have won't work for you, sorry-it's designed for the intake manifold for the V6. Also, I think you perhaps have a misconception about a CAI: the parts can easily be shipped, it's nothing big or fancy, just a couple pieces of ~4" hollow bent steel pipe with an air filter on one end and opening on the other end.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

So - GaalDornick - didja name 'er??

And a belated CONGRATS!!! YEAH!! Be safe...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.