FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » August 22nd, hype or justified fear?--Just Hype (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: August 22nd, hype or justified fear?--Just Hype
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe as part of our premptive strike policy we could launch missiles at Iran, North Korea, and maybe China and destroy their ability to start said Doomsday?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
My friends birthday is on the 22nd o.O
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
Heck, the DoE put strontium-90 in your milk, just to see what would happen. Turns out, not much.
I got super-powers.
You laugh, but back in the '50s when nu-q-lar technology was new, nobody knew what radiation would do to you. The Department of Energy embarked on quite a few "involuntary" experiments documenting the effects of radiation and heavy metals.

The strontium experiment took place mostly in 1954, and was primarily concerned with the effects of absorbing strontium into your skeleton in place of calcium. In modern times you could guess the result: leukemia and bone cancer. But at the time this was a new field of research.

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe as part of our premptive strike policy we could launch missiles at Iran, North Korea, and maybe China and destroy their ability to start said Doomsday?
I laughed out loud at this.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It is absolutely true. The 22th will be a horrible day. I have appointments staring at 9 am, and have to be here to give placement tests, which last until 8 pm.

ack!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to work two shifts tomorrow on the 22nd, starting at 6am. Along about 8pm, I'll probably be fine with the world ending.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, you win!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Victory is mine! ...The day before Armageddon. Someone up there is laughing at me.
Armegeddon no respect, I tell ya.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
I waited up 'till it was the 22nd, on a Tuesday, and I'm still here. If I'm not later today, at least I got these words out... God is good, I lived as Righteously as I knew how, I love my Family and I detest petty argument.

So that's it. I got it out. If it all ends later, at least I've said it. ; )

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
It's here. [Angst]

And, in about three hours, I'll be in a surgeon's office getting my chest cut open. [Eek!]

Definitely a scary day!

(actually I'm only a little nervous, it will just be a little cut)

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it appears that fears of an Iranian attack were just hype. Iran did give it's response regarding international pressure to stop enriching uranium. They will not abandon enriching uranium for use in nuclear power stations. Who really thought they would?

That’s the response. No big war. Can we get a poll on who thinks they will use/supply nuclear weapons to be used against Israel or USA in the future?

I think it is plausible for them to supply something to be used against Israel; however, the desire to not be obliterated and the money America pays Iran for oil are two incentives to stop religious mad men.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Learned this is poly sci class, take it with a grain of salt. The amount of uranium enrichment you need for nuclear power plants is FAR lower then the amount needed to build a nuclear weapon.

I'd be a bit more convinced if I saw Iran building the nuclear power plants as putting in the Uranium once its done would not take too long, not to mention enriching uranium to the point of usefulness as a power source takes VERY little time. Working up to a bomb takes a significant amount of time. How long has Iran been enriching Uranium and stalling talks?

If all they are interested is nuclear power, why dont they simply take up Europe on its offer to build them fully functional nuclear power plants. They don't even have to pay for these plants, so whats the problem?

If its equality, and they feel like they have every right to develop nuclear weapons as a sovereign state. Fine, make the leaders all swear by Allah (his name be praised) that they will never use them against Israel (which they must recognize) or anybody else EXCEPT as a response to attack.

They won't be willing to make that promise, thats why they can't have them.

http://www.iranian.com/Kazemzadeh/2005/October/Ahmadinejad/index.html

My former Polysci teachers paper he wrote 10 months ago about Iran, the state of things, and its current governmental makeup.

I found it VERY interesting, and useful as my teacher is Iranian.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
So occaisionally I go and watch trailers at Apple.com.

If we wonder what the general feeling of the world/America is at the moment, the trailers of upcoming fall/winter movies is possibly one indication.

Could they be more depressing? There are a whole clump of movies that seem very unhopeful about the future. All seem to depict a period of great darkness, with perhaps a very desperate pinpoint of hope.

Edmond is essentially about an ordinary man who gets pulled into the grimy underside of a city.
Babel, starring Brad Pitt looking old, is a world-wide story that seems to touch on the themes of frayed nerves, terrorism, race and hysteria.
Renaissance is about a dystopian society in Paris, circa 2054.
The Children of Men is about the human race become infertile.
Haven- where the Cayman island paradise becomes Hell on Earth. Complete with roadsign to Hell.
The Fountain is apparantly about the search for eternal life (to save the woman he loves) in 1500, 2000, and 2500. It's not necessarily dark, but it definately has shades of the kind of thinking that characterizes our interest in things like the apocalypse.

Bring on the apocalypse!

(Come on, people, let's put some money into space flight, let's start saving the planet, let's start sending postcards and videos to places on the other side of the world and perhaps we won't be feel so depressed!)

*throws flowers*

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, so far so good.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
well the world's still here
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Breaking News: The entire city of San Francisco has just been abducted by aliens. They left Coit Tower as a reminder, the rest is gone.

At least, I can't see the city looking out my window, so I'm going to assume that the aliens took it.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought pirate ghosts from "The Fog" were supposed to abduct San Francisco. [Laugh]
Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I seem to have survived my 11-hour workday. How're you doing, Morbo?
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The world will end on a Thursday because I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
All my life I've felt like something big has been going on all around me, only no one will tell me what it is--
Oh, that's just perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the Universe has that.

Is this a quote from a movie or book? It sounds so familiar, yet I can't place it...HELP

"What does it do?"
"Do? It doesn't DO anything! That's the beauty of it!"

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
That quote is from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
THANK YOU!

::sigh of relief::

Knowing it's a quote you've read and not being able to place it can be likened to the feeling of constipation in my opinion.

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Well don't get too peaceful yet. If it is indeed in the THGTTG (the movie, I guess since it's not in the books) I don't remember it from seeing the movie, and if it is there, it's an homage to the fact that there has been a search for this quote going around for decades (well prior to the Hitchhiker's movie) and no one has been able to actually find it.

So technically, the quote isn't from the movie since it wouldn't be in that movie if it didn't already exist as a social meme.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Karl, I think "That quote is from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" refers to the Thursday paranoia quote, not the beauty quote.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, life after Armegedon appears to be a lot better than I was expecting.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually a tad disappointed. I still appear to have an interview pending for the Japanese class I need to take.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
Karl, I think "That quote is from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" refers to the Thursday paranoia quote, not the beauty quote.

That makes sense. I've just heard the "beauty" quote attributed to THGTTG several times by others so I jumped the gun. Sorry.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, still have to go to the dentist...

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You laugh, but back in the '50s when nu-q-lar technology was new, nobody knew what radiation would do to you. The Department of Energy embarked on quite a few "involuntary" experiments documenting the effects of radiation and heavy metals.
Well, out of all the various hideous Nürnberg Code violations of our past, the radiation experiments seemed like the safest bet for superpowers.

We saved the way lamer stuff for minorities and the mentally ill -- syphilis for the Macon county blacks, cancer cell injections for the jews, hep-b for retarded children at Willowbrook State Hospital, etc -- but us good healthy white-blooded gentile folk got the rads.

I think we were trying to hog all the superpowers for ourselves.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.