FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The end is near... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The end is near...
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Stargate SG1 has been cancelled.

[Frown]

The remainder of the 10th season will play out and Atlantis has been renewed for next year. Also, Robert Cooper says he's going to try to keep SG1 alive in some form.

Still, it's the end of an era.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
NO! No!!!!!! Not fair! Not fair!!! ::Throws temper tantrum::

How the hell can they wrap up a story arc they just started last season, and that just got going in the first episode of THIS season?

Even if they just gave us one more season, a chance to finish the show right, I'd be satisfied. This just can't be!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, don't mourn. If you want to see aborted story arcs, try watching SeaQuest:DSV some time. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Been years since I watched DSV, and I have the first season on DVD.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you know 10 seasons is better than most shows!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Oh, don't mourn. If you want to see aborted story arcs, try watching Firefly some time. [Wink]

Ditto, and an addendum. [Wink]
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well Firefly was a little different I think. There really wasn't any specific story arc other than "avoid the Alliance."
Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my... I think I might vomit.. This is terrible!
Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, don't mourn. If you want to see aborted story arcs, try watching SeaQuest:DSV some time. [Wink]

No kidding Tom. They stopped showing that in the MIDDLE of its third season, there was literally NO ENDING.

I was a big Seaquest fan. Now, I'll admit that the first season was the best season, but COME ON. At least finish the season.

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Does anyone have any idea what the sales numbers are for the DVDs? Actually, I'm wondering, if Season Nine sells like a mofo when it comes out in October, if they'd consider renewing it just for the DVD sales, to say nothing of the still decent but comparable mediocre ratings. I also wonder if the cast would be willing to take a paycut for a season, so they can finish out the last season.
andi330
Member # 8572

They are intending to air the final episodes in March of 07 according to the article. It's something of a longer wait than usual between mid-season finale and the final episodes but they are finishing the season.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, don't mourn. If you want to see aborted story arcs, try watching <fill-in-blank>
Oh, hush. It's not like they left off with a baby that showed up out of nowhere, did they? With mysterious origins that were to be explained the next season?

And unfinished story arcs will be solved the same way as always: fanfic! [Big Grin]

I am rather sad about the end of SG-1, though. Although maybe we'll get a movie out of this? They talked about that the last time it was supposed to be cancelled.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
guys.. 10 seasons.. come on...
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by andi330:
They are intending to air the final episodes in March of 07 according to the article. It's something of a longer wait than usual between mid-season finale and the final episodes but they are finishing the season.

I meant finishing out the last season as in finishing Season 11. They already have the story arcs and everything set to go through next season, which means finishing them now will be silly and rushed. I thought it was a mistake to start a huge new story arc like this last season, but I also figured it'd go to Season 11 or 12.

I have little doubt there will be SOMETHING having to do with SG1 even if it really does die this season. Whether a movie, to cap it all off, or a mini-series of some sort, it's not totally over yet.

CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
On the SciFi.com bulletin boards, there's a thread about this - with a link for an online petition. Someone suggested that letters are better than e-mails for getting attention, so I just might write one. [Cry]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

What about Star Trek DS9?
(Spoilers ahead)

You get seasons

1: TNG clone
2: TNG Hybrid with Babylon 5
3. Babylon 5 Clone
4. A really good season, Dominion story arc really kicks into gear
5. Spiritualism gook brings down the interesting developments
6. Best season of all, Dominion war in swing, really interesting stories, good vs. evil, etc.
7. At the last second in season 6, Dax dies and the show completely jumps the shark. Its not a TNG mutant with season 5 mixed back in for some aweful diversions into the Ezri Dax story line- BIG MISTAKE! - Dukat turns into a cartoon of his former self, and Sisqo is left to act his way out of a steel box, and he fails. Worf is completely abandoned. Then the abortive end of the series effectively taking everything that happened in season 6 and concluding it in 3 episodes at the end, and tossing in a cheesy clips finale. Pathetic ending.

[ August 23, 2006, 04:33 AM: Message edited by: Orincoro ]

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Orincoro -

First and foremost, you need a spoiler warning before your post. People who haven't seen DS9 that might want to will be a little pissed at reading your description of Season Seven.

Secondly, other than you being right about Worf being left out in the last season, I think you are way, way, way off about DS9. I wonder if Primal Curve will wander into this thread and see that. But here, look at that. It's Sake's thread on DS9, with some rather long explanations of how wrong you are.

If you don't like Season 1 because it's like TNG in format, then you must not like Star Trek at all. Almost all of TNG is that, a great deal of Voyager is like that, and the first (arguably) three seasons of DS9 are like that.

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Orincoro, I'm pretty sure DS9 was planned to only last 7 seasons.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, there were only 8 episodes of "Otherworld". <grin>
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought they kind of alluded to a cancellation during episode 200...

I've never been a fan, so I'm not upset. Now, if they cancel 'Eureka,' I'll be torked.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
I really think it was time for SG1 to end. Dont shoot me people, but the show was getting old. They cleaned up the entire galaxy so the writers had to pull enemies from a whole other galaxy. Enough already. Story done.

Now, BSG should have another 7-9 more seasons or so cause THAT show is fresh and interesting at thsi point.

Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Well Firefly was a little different I think. There really wasn't any specific story arc other than "avoid the Alliance."

I guess that depends on what you mean by "story arc." The story wasn't broad in scope in the way that most of the other shows mentioned in this thread are, but a narrow focus doesn't mean an absence of overall story.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Of the Star Treks, Enterprise had the most abrupt ending. And the characters were just starting to be... characterized! Sheesh.

I'm sad by the news. I got into Stargate only a few years ago and am rather fond of it. And seriously - after the spoilers I heard at Comic-Con, there's NO WAY they can end this season where they've planned. NO WAY. I mean... Daniel! Sam! What?! And this is where I stop, just to leave everyone slightly intrigued... [Wink]

Also, I'd like to agree with qualifications on BSG. I think about 6 more seasons will be enough. Actually, that'd be too much. I just want the show to maintain its quality.

I'm not asking for a miracle or anything.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone see episode 200?

Minor Spolier:

10 years later, movie is back on.

Back in season 7 they were talking about finishing everything up in a movie. Maybe they will do the same here. They also have Atlantis to finish up any loose threads should they choose.

10 seasons is enough. I don't think any final episodes could match the last 3 of season 8.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I think SG1 should have ended after season 9 (or was it 8?), after they got rid of the replicators and the Gou'ld. Everything after that was shark-jumping.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh]

Hahaha!

Sorry. I can't help but taunt a bit.

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Orincoro -

First and foremost, you need a spoiler warning before your post. People who haven't seen DS9 that might want to will be a little pissed at reading your description of Season Seven.

Secondly, other than you being right about Worf being left out in the last season, I think you are way, way, way off about DS9. I wonder if Primal Curve will wander into this thread and see that. But here, look at that. It's Sake's thread on DS9, with some rather long explanations of how wrong you are.

If you don't like Season 1 because it's like TNG in format, then you must not like Star Trek at all. Almost all of TNG is that, a great deal of Voyager is like that, and the first (arguably) three seasons of DS9 are like that.

You get me all wrong, I criticize because it was my favorite show in middle school. And seriously, spoilers? The show ended like 7 years ago didn't it? I think the spoiler statute of limitations is up at this point, but I could be mistaken.

I am not saying that being TNG clone is a BAD thing, but being an inferior clone to an already running show is a little worse. DS9 became a great show after TNG ended, there is no getting around that connection.

And again, don't get me wrong, the positive elements in ALL the seasons made it my favorite show, but in terms of story arcs blowing out or getting sabotaged in the end, DS9 had a tragically screwed up ending. Didn't it?

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I would have been okay with SG1 ending at Season 8, but now that they have gone on with it, I think it deserves another season to finish it off. I'll be okay with it ending next season, but not here, not abruptly, not before they've had a chance to finish telling the awesome story they wanted to tell. Hell, I'll settle for a HALF season, just cut out all the goofy episodes that usually get tossed in to fill out a season and keep things interesting.

Also I don't really think SG1 has jumped the shark yet. I think it was getting very close in Season 9, but I don't think it ever really got there. If it DOES jump, it won't be because of the quirky plot, shows have been bringing in new enemies to deal with since the dawn of time. Vala, who was hysterical and who I loved the first four or five times I saw her, is starting to get on my nerves. Especially with Daniel missing from a few eps this season, she's grating on my nerves.

Orincoro -

I stick to the spoiler warning, some people still havent seen the show, and you should still include warnings, regardless. It isn't THAT old, and I know some people recently who saw the show who missed it when it was first on. It doesn't take much to toss a quick (SPOILER) alert on the screen to stop someone before they read ahead.

And I pull back my aggressive defense of DS9, I thought you were attacking it more directly. But really, I didn't mind the ending to DS9. It was either end it all there, or do a post-Dominion season, which wasn't going to happen. It was abrupt, but I think the last four episodes or so pulled it all together rather nicely. Besides, I don't know how anyone can criticize the season that introduced James Darren as Vic Fontaine [Smile]

Orincoro
Member # 8854

::criticizes the season that introduced James Darren and Vic Fontaine::

How cheesy was that? And it totally screwed up the tone of the show- all of the sudden in Season 7 they're all hanging out at a bar listening to a crooner? Gimme a break please. Laaaame. Nothing so blatantly cheesy would ever have happened on TNG... I mean really, I'm comparing it to a show where a 14 year old gets a command position and wears a rainbow jump suit.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

You're on my list now buddy.

No one disses Vic.

andi330
Member # 8572

*agrees with Orincoro about the whole spoiler warning thing*

After all, I've never seen the original X-Men movie, but at this point, I wouldn't expect anyone to put a spoiler warning for it. Maybe for the most recent, but not the original.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
With tv shows being out on DVD, a lot of people are getting into shows now that they never watched when they were airing.

Actually, most of the tv shows I really like are ones that I never saw on air and am only now watching as new releases on DVD and netflix make it possible. I'm planning on starting DS9 very soon, so far I've never seen a completed episode of it, but I was a huge fan of Babylon 5, so I think I'll like it.

I'm not quite sure why typing eight extra letters is really that big of a deal.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
From a linguistic perspective, I'm just basking in the loveliness of a term like "jumped the shark." [Smile]

I doubt many people have seen the original jumping the shark episode, (I have, but I'm old) but everyone knows what it means and even if they don't, it's obvious in context.

That's just cool.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GeronL
Member # 9674

- posted      Profile for GeronL   Email GeronL         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[QB] NO! No!!!!!! Not fair! Not fair!!! ::Throws temper tantrum

wwwwaaahhh [Wink]

quote:
How the hell can they wrap up a story arc they just started last season, and that just got going in the first episode of THIS season?
They run out of time to tell their story they just let Earth blow up. The people at Atlantis are on their own. [Big Grin]
Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GeronL
Member # 9674

I am the only one I know who predicted Nicole deBoer would be the new Dax. Of course I had just helped to start her first fan club LOL, I thought she really needed one.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

Lol. That certainly would be an interesting way to end. Actually, I think I like that idea.

Earth blows up as the result of an Ori attack. The only remaining vestiges of Earth culture are at Atlantis and the Alpha site. The next series is about the crew of the Alpha site, dealing in the aftermath. One of the ships should survive as well. Kind of a BSG thing, but not on the run.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GeronL
Member # 9674

Hey... take out the fanfiction elements by using different names and we might have a story worth writing.

BTW- How come it took me all these years online to hear about duotrope???

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
From a linguistic perspective, I'm just basking in the loveliness of a term like "jumped the shark." [Smile]

I doubt many people have seen the original jumping the shark episode, (I have, but I'm old) but everyone knows what it means and even if they don't, it's obvious in context.

That's just cool.

Heh, I actually saw that, not the whole episode, but the clip of it, awhile back. "200" on SG1 actually made a fairly pointed reference/explanation of it during the episode. T'was funny.
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
guys.. 10 seasons.. come on...

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

quote:
Originally posted by Miro:
Lol. That certainly would be an interesting way to end. Actually, I think I like that idea.

Earth blows up as the result of an Ori attack. The only remaining vestiges of Earth culture are at Atlantis and the Alpha site. The next series is about the crew of the Alpha site, dealing in the aftermath. One of the ships should survive as well. Kind of a BSG thing, but not on the run.

They can't do that, because we have already seen the future in a few episodes (like 1969), so we know that the earth survives, and prospers.
Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Angiomorphism:
quote:
Originally posted by Miro:

They can't do that, because we have already seen the future in a few episodes (like 1969), so we know that the earth survives, and prospers.
Hello? Alternate timelines, anyone?!? How much science fiction do you watch? [Wink]
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Never mind SF. How much SG do you watch? They've had a dozen episodes with alternate timelines. (My favorite was the how-many-SG1s-can-you-fit-in-one-timestream one.)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

I just don't see them doing that. I think they will end it having made progress against the Ori, but ultimately still fighting them. I would like this kind of ending, as it would leave the possibility open for later revisitation.
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Never mind SF. How much SG do you watch? They've had a dozen episodes with alternate timelines. (My favorite was the how-many-SG1s-can-you-fit-in-one-timestream one.)

I was more fond of the one with the alternate Carter coming through from the world about to be taken over.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Currently, we're watching Stargate over again. My husband watches it while I'm at work or sleeping, too, so I haven't seen all of the episodes over again, but that's okay with me. We own the DVDs, after all.

This is in preparation of finally buying seasons 7 and on. We've watched many of those episodes, but haven't gotten the DVDs yet.

I can't say I'm really broken up over the show ending. It is a great show, and it's rewatchable and they can never take it away. It's out there... and we can watch it whenever we want. It is sad that it is ending, though. I was hoping they'd try to run it as long as they could.

I LOVE STARGATE! [Smile] Woo!!

Just had to make that plain, in case there was any doubt. 10 seasons is a GREAT run.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Let it die with some dignity. It's led a full life, and has reproduced. No one should ask for more.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

[ROFL]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Heh.

I really don't want it to end with them still fighting the Ori. Let it end with either a victory or a loss, and then let the galaxy be what it will be, and let's refocus on Pegasus. But either way, I want a clear ending.

And I want Furlings. Furlings dammit!

Stephan
Member # 7549

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/0e/Furling.png/140px-Furling.png
There you go.

I know. I know. Not exactly canon.

Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

You know I was hoping SG-1 was going to be the Ken Jennings of scifi, ending eventually, but only after like 20 seasons. And if you think about it, the universe created around stargate could allow for it to go on that long, so long as they continually got new writers to freshen things up. I'm still so sad...
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.