FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mmmm, peaches.

Author Topic: Mmmm, peaches.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
We were at my mom's house today, and her peach tree was overburdened with peaches sooo ripe, you touch them and they fall off. Emma and I picked a ton, and she stood looking at the mound wondering what she was going to do with all of them after giving some away and making peach pie and peach ice cream. I mentioned that I have a new canning pot and rack (picked up at an estate sale for a few dollars-- my dad's dollars [Wink] ) and I'd can some for her if I could keep some. She said she had a new box of jars, lids, labels and all, in the garage, so she dropped it and some peaches home with me and I've got the first batch of raw-pack sliced peaches in extra-light syrup in the water bath right now. They look so delicious, they look like little glass jars full of precious jewels. I'm excited that this winter we'll be able to eat home-grown peaches out of season. Mmmm. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
:puts on his white flannel trousers:

[Cool]

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone see Colbert defending the honor of South Carolina against Georgia when it comes to peaches?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Peaches come from a can. They were put there by a man, in a factory downtown.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds *delicous* ketchupqueen!

Do you follow any specific canning recipe, or just make your own up?

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I miss really really fresh peaches. We get lots of fresh fruit out here but nothing like the peaches back home... So soft and sweet without a trace of the bitterness you get with peaches out here...
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought fresh u-pick peaches to can and make freezer jam out of---yum! Mine aren't ripe all the way yet...rats. Lucky us though!
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
imogen, I follow the instructions in the Ball canning guide for raw-pack peaches in extra-light syrup. [Smile]

Ben, my mom and I were totally singing that song. [ROFL]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm I love canning peaches. Its hard and hot work but the reward at the end is so fufilling!
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I only did one dozen jars and it was late at night and the air conditioner was on, so it wasn't even that hot. I sliced and peeled them while I watched Who Wants to be a Superhero? and Without a Trace, so I didn't have to think about what I was doing, either. [Smile]
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
kq, did you use an anti-browning agent?
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
I love to grill peaches.
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by sweetbaboo:
kq, did you use an anti-browning agent?

I soaked in water and lemon juice. Usually I soak in plain citric acid and water, but I forgot that I was out of citric acid. My dad just crushes a Vitamin C tablet (unflavored, uncolored), but I don't keep those around. I used enough lemon juice to prevent browning.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm, canned peaches. Mmmm, fresh peaches. Mmmm, peach jam. Mmmmm, peaches....

I love peaches.

Love love love love love 'em.

I lived in the Okanagan, the Canadian fruit belt, where the best peaches are grown.

I miss peaches.

[Frown] Peaches don't grow here, and they aren't imported either. [Frown]

I miss peaches. [Frown]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I never bothered with anti-browning anything and never had a problem with the peaches browning, personally. Oh, but I usually scalded them briefly to make the skins slip off easier, so it's also possible that prevented browning.

I used to do up about 40 pounds of peaches a year. Everyone loved eating my canning. [Smile] And getting it for Christmas presents... [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is inspiring me to go peel one of the peaches I bought...

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Going to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches.

Oh, I'm goin' to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches.

Goin' to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Ball canning jars are awesome, so are the ball dollhouses, and umm Ball State (where I'm transferring next fall).
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
Did anyone see Colbert defending the honor of South Carolina against Georgia when it comes to peaches?

Indeed. Even as a temporary Georgian, I took no small amount of umbrage at that Sherman remark. South Carolina may be a superior peach producer, but getting razed isn't what GA's all about. I don't think.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Peaches don't grow here, and they aren't imported either.
As much as I love Mangos, nothing can compare with a tree-ripened Clingstone peach, just picked, still warm from the desert sun, with the juice dripping off your wrist. You don't get that out of a Safeway store or the Market in Sri Lanka
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Now you're just being mean. [Frown]

[Wink]

Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife is planning to can peaches some time next weekend. I'm sure our daughter will be thrilled.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

quote:
I soaked in water and lemon juice. Usually I soak in plain citric acid and water, but I forgot that I was out of citric acid. My dad just crushes a Vitamin C tablet (unflavored, uncolored), but I don't keep those around. I used enough lemon juice to prevent browning.
quote:
I never bothered with anti-browning anything and never had a problem with the peaches browning, personally. Oh, but I usually scalded them briefly to make the skins slip off easier, so it's also possible that prevented browning.
Thank you kq and quid. I did my freezer jam yesterday and it went a titch brown (yes that's a technical term). I'm thinking about canning my peaches on monday though, so I appreciate your advice.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate peaches. I hate bananas. I hate peanut butter. I hate, detest, loathe, abhor papayas.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Mmmm, papayas. Here, they can grow larger than footballs, and man, they are the best papayas evuh!

sweetbaboo, you're welcome. [Kiss] Good luck. [Smile]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't had a REALLY good peach all summer. I've had lots of substandard peaches, though.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I hate papayas. With a passion.

Didn't we already have that thread?

Tante, you should come visit me. I'll give you some from my mom's tree.

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm allergic to peaches raw (yes we had that thread already too) but I love, love, love 'em fresh canned. Home-canned white peaches in light syrup--yummm!!

My mom did two batches this summer. One were the best, yummiest peaches, and the other really were substandard, but somehow in that jar over time a transformation occurs and they end up being scrumptious.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Uprooted, you can't have them raw, but you can have them canned? So even raw-pack is okay, because they get cooked in the process? Or do they have to be hot-pack?
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I just had to go clarify what the difference is. My mother does hot pack because she says you can fit more in the jar that way, but when she described what raw pack is I'm sure I could eat those because that would be enough cooking for me. It really doesn't take much.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IndigoKnight1
Member # 9526

- posted      Profile for IndigoKnight1           Edit/Delete Post 
and there I was thinking that peaches came from the Fareway down the roade
Posts: 19 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.