FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dear Ernesto,

Author Topic: Dear Ernesto,
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't be a hater. I would be sad.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Florida needs a tropical storm or two to cross, actually.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I think it should just turn all the way back out into the Atlantic. I know it won't happen. [Frown]

But I think by the time it would hit Florida, were it to do so, it would be a category 2 and no longer a tropical storm.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
NWS TPC / National Hurricane Center
5:04 AM EDT [Hatrack time] Sun Aug 27 2006

...Air Force reconnaissance aircraft indicates that Tropical Storm Earnesto has now reached hurricane strength...

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

A new picture.

I'm keeping an eye on this one. I figure I'll do laundry and pretty much prepare as though I might have to evacuate because if it happens, this time I think people will start getting out of here on Tuesday.

-pH

ChevMalFet
Member # 9676

- posted      Profile for ChevMalFet           Edit/Delete Post 
The projections on this one are really uncharacteristically unsure, and that storm track isn't very informative. noaa.gov and tropicalstormrisk.com give much better data.
Posts: 74 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Well, they might be keeping them unsure because last year, they said Katrina was hitting Florida until the last minute.

Hooray for the cone of uncertainty.

-pH

ChevMalFet
Member # 9676

Could be, but it feels more like the development situation is outside their domain of experience. And to clarify, I'm referring specifically to NOAA's official forecast.
Posts: 74 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I just heard that all visitors have been told to leave the Florida Keys. It's still a category one storm. Maybe it'll stay that way, or lose strength.

*crosses fingers*

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
From my buddy Elliot who is a meteorologist:

quote:
Hey guys, looking at the new model guidance, this thing looks like it may hang a right and rip a Charley and go right into FL, possibly as a major hurricane sometime middle/late next week.
'Course these aren't really all that predictable.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeb Bush has declared a state of emergency in Florida.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChevMalFet
Member # 9676

I'll say. Katherine Harris is running for Senate.

But meteorologically, it looks like Cuba is going to take one from the team and Ernesto won't exceed Cat 1.

Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck to you, pH (and the rest of the southeasterners), whatever happens. I'll be thinking happy thoughts for you!
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, every single computer model has Ernesto going straight through Florida. Two of them have it hitting my house ... the rest look like it'll go farther south, but it looks like SOME of us are definitely going to be in its path this time!

Excuse me ... gotta go buy some batteries. [Wink]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChevMalFet
Member # 9676

Looks like the entirety of the country dodged the hurricane. Ernesto has been relinquished to Tropical Storm status.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Ernesto has now been downgraded to a Tropical Depression.

Do you think that Prozac could help with that?

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
Ernesto has now been downgraded to a Tropical Depression.

Do you think that Prozac could help with that?

Perhaps but doesnt "Tropical Depression" sound like an oxymoron?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wasting away again in margaritaville...

Nah, I don't think so. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.goes.noaa.gov/HURRLOOPS/gulfvs.html

The current loop has it almost over us now, and all we have is some drizzle.

What was it like in South Florida?

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
It's pouring in NC, got some hail earlier.
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
http://www.goes.noaa.gov/HURRLOOPS/gulfvs.html

The current loop has it almost over us now, and all we have is some drizzle.

What was it like in South Florida?

Apparently NASA doesn't think it's bad enough to put the shuttle away.

-pH

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.