FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fun for bored college kids still at home with nothing to do

Author Topic: Fun for bored college kids still at home with nothing to do
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember Savings bonds? I used to get a $50 bond from my grandma every birthday and Christmas when I was little. While a lovely investment, it's a really lousy gift when you are 8.
I was curious about the value of my bonds since I was changing some stuff at my bank and buying a CD (almost 5% for nine months :-P).

You know you REALLY need to go back to school when you start researching savings bonds on the internet. And then you dig them all out and put them into the online value calculator.

I found this little download quite nifty:
http://www.savingsbonds.gov/indiv/tools/tools_savingsbondwizard.htm

You can save your bond handiwork to show your mom when she comes home from work to yell at you for taking all those papers out of her filing cabinet. But seeing as my high school diploma (in the same amazeeaz important papers file) basically got trashed, she can't yell at you that much, because that's HER fault.

Being 20, about half of my bonds actually are worth at least what they say they are and only one of them has a cashing penalty. I thought bonds were a 10 year thing, but it turns out that only the ones that are over 13 year old have reached their advertised value. The bonds will grow for 30 years in general. So my bonds will mature from 2016 to 2032. The only downfall to the feds' little program is that it won't let you calculate the value beyond this November (maybe because they're changing rates for new bonds?). I wanted to see how much money I'll have in 2032, but I guess not.

Okay, I'm done being a dork.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
.... I'm a bored college kid, but I'm not that bored. Although I never got any savings bonds that I know of, so it's a moot point.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an already-completely-stressed-out college kid, but I'll consider doing that for procrastination. [Smile]
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.