FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What do you get for someone who just had a baby? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What do you get for someone who just had a baby?
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hatrack. About two weeks ago one of the women who works for me had a baby. She's currently on maternity leave. I want to send some kind of congratulatory something.

Flowers? Chocolates? Strippers? I just have no idea what to do when it comes to stuff like this, because I am a cold emotionless robot.

Help me.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
A length of chain and a stake, along with a collar?

You know, for the yard? [Wink]

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Chocolates are always good, assuming the person likes chocolates.

If it were me, I'd love to receive a gift basket with, say, pretty smelling bath salts, peppermint foot lotion, that sort of thing (Body Shop) with chocolates, hot chocolate, herbal teas... Things to promote relaxation. Cuz she's going to need it with a screaming baby. [Smile]

However, the more traditional thing would be to get a gift for the baby, like a cute outfit or something.

I think.

Or you could do both. [Big Grin] But really, what you give depends on the woman - what does she like? What kinds of gifts have been well-received before?

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever someone in my office has a baby I try to get something that is totally not about the baby. Most new mothers are showered with tons of gifts of baby paraphernalia that I think it's a nice gesture to remember the mom is also a person distinct from the new person she has brought into the world.

Things I've given:

Spa, manicure, or massage gift certificates
Chocolates (mentioned)
Bath Gift Basket (mentioned) - and most bath/lotion/etc stores in the mall have them pre-assembled or will custom make one for you quickly.
Gift certificate to a nice restaurant (with a note that if she can't find a babysitter let "hubby" watch the kid and take a friend. [Wink] )

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, KarlEd. I guess I'm not comletely odd after all.

Don't answer that. :|

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

It's like the theory of relativity. I don't think you're odd at all. [Wink]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I told ya...

[Razz]

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Worcestershire sauce.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasonepowell
Member # 1600

- posted      Profile for jasonepowell   Email jasonepowell         Edit/Delete Post 
Diapers! Give the gifts that count!
Posts: 1281 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Yes, so every time they screw up their face in disgust, hold their nose, and argue about whose turn it is, they can think of you. [Big Grin]
jasonepowell
Member # 1600

- posted      Profile for jasonepowell   Email jasonepowell         Edit/Delete Post 
well, they probably do that anyway :-)

In all seriousness, my wife makes baby blankets, and then makes a basket of typical baby needs stuff, like diapers, wet wipes, baby powder, onesies, and that sort of thing. That way, you get a hand made thoughtful gift (and the blankets are awesome) as well as stuff you can actually use.

Posts: 1281 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

But no chocolate. *tsk* *tsk* *tsk* *tsk* *tsk*
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on how good you are with babies and how well you know her, maybe a certificate good for one evening of babysitting?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be hesitant to give diapers without knowing what the parents' plan was for diapering. They might be using cloth, or a diaper service.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes a homemade casserole or soup can be the biggest blessing.

I second (and third, etc) the ideas of either giving a "mom" gift or a practical "baby" gift.

If she's a scrapbooker/collector type, you might find some cute things for her to use as she works on the baby book. Or a special box/basket and cute notebook/pen for her to collect momentos or moments along the way. The first year goes so fast!

Camera and film? Coupon for developing the film?

A nanny?

Ooooh -- I wish someone had given me a nanny. Then I could have just done the cute, adorable part of loving and raising baby. *grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by blacwolve:
Depending on how good you are with babies and how well you know her, maybe a certificate good for one evening of babysitting?

Amen, amen, amen.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've heard from new moms, clothes for LARGER babies than newborns are always welcome. Apparently the little guys grow like weeds, and it gets extremely expensive to keep them from being naked.

Then they get to the phase where they take all their clothes off, anyway.

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
I second the offer for babysitting or taking her a homecooked meal. Even offering to help clean house or do laundry would be greatly appreciated, depending on how well you know her.

As for a present, ask if she has a boppy pillow. That was the best pre-baby purchase I made. Lullaby music and maybe a small cd player to put in the baby's room would also be a good choice.

A third option is a baby first aid kit. Get a cute box and put in two digital thermometers (not ear ones) for rectal and underarm temp taking, mylicon for tummyaches, teething tablets (trust me on this one!), baby tylenol, baby nail clippers, a suction bulb, cotton balls, hydrogen peroxide, neosporin, hydrocortizone cream, Nexcare bandaids (they are the best kind, Dr. Smith's diaper creme or Boudreaux's Butt Paste, Benadryl spray, baby sunscreen and bug spray. These are all things she will need in the first year of life and will greatly appreciate not having to buy it all herself in the middle of the night. A great addition would be a baby health book like this. Since all this stuff is pretty expensive, you could even go in with some other coworkers. I wouldn't recommend buying a pre-made first aid kit. They don't have the best products and they include stuff you really don't need.

Not clothes. Everyone buys the new baby clothes. The ones who don't buy clothes, buy blankets. We still have tons of blankets we never used for our baby and she is 3!

[ August 30, 2006, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: MandyM ]

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What do you get for someone who just had a baby?
A grill.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't give clothes because the sizes never seem to match up with ages and they end up being in the wrong season. I'll give a gift card to a kids' clothing shop (Babies/Kids R Us or Gymboree) and let the parents pick out clothes in sizes and styles that fit their needs. And then I'll usually stitch up a little baby announcement-type picture and put it into the front of a brag book, but that doesn't get given till after the birth because I put the child's birth stats on there too.

Moms get bath bubbles/salts, candles, and a gift certificate to Borders so they can pick out books or music to relax to, and if I'm close to the mom, an offer to babysit so she can get out and be an adult for a while.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasonepowell
Member # 1600

You know, Mandy, I'm pretty sure you may win the award for least likely phrase to be uttered on Hatrack with "Buttpaste".
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought of free baby sitting too. Maybe a night out in a nice restarant or tickets to a concert or something... I reckon folks with babies get stressed out the first few months and need time off to relax together.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Chocolates are always good, assuming the person likes chocolates.
Not necessarily for a new mother who is breast feeding her baby. Many babies react adversely to chocolate.

quote:
'd love to receive a gift basket with, say, pretty smelling bath salts, peppermint foot lotion.
Scented candles and bath salts make me sneeze. I'm not alone. Alot of people are allergic to perfumes and many others just don't enjoy soaking in a bath. When I get bath stuff as gifts, they end up in a box in the bottom of one of my cupboards until I either throw them out or pass them on to someone else.

quote:
A third option is a baby first aid kit.
This is also a high risk option not only because you don't know what she already has but because there is alot of variability on how mothers feel about giving OTC medications to their babies. If she is at all into "natural child care", she might take offense at such a gift.

How well do know this woman? How long has she worked for you? Is your relationship strictly business or do you know her well enough to know her tastes, her lifestyle and her needs. If you know her quite well, then I would suggest a more personal gift for either her or the baby -- something you know she would like or that she needs.

The fact that you asked this question, suggests that you probably don't know her well enough to know her tastes or what she needs. In that case, I'd recommend a card and a gift certificate to someplace that carries a variety of stuff for babies and new mothers. I generally frown on gift certificates because they seem impersonal, but if your relationship with this woman is a business relationship then an impersonal gift is exactly the right thing.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I would do a quick target and babies-r-us gift registry search online. Then you know what they need. At 5 months pregnant, I already have 2 baby thermometer, childproofing stuff, a homemade blanket, a bunch of toys, some diapers, a baby kit (like nail clippers, medical dispenser, etc) and a few outfits. I am supposedly having a baby shower in 2 months and my relatives said there will be a box of baby stuff at Christmas time for us. Point being, you have a really good chance of getting a repeat gift if you aren't going from a registry.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh, if I ever have a baby, and it reacts poorly to chocolate . . . . there will be problems. Num num num, chocolate. Why don't I have any chocolate?

I think searching for a registry is a great idea. I also think that if you give a gift card, it might be nice to try to get one small, inexpenisve personal item as well. Nothing as boring as a candle or lotion, but some nice little something or other. A book you know she'd like (ask her friends), or something small and useful for work, or a cute baby cup, or a little stuffed animal or something. Gift cards are so thoughtful and generous, but a bit impersonal.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to give a gift certificate to the local photo studio and a nice frame. I also like getting new parents books on games they can play with their babies. Gymboree has a very nice one.

I rarely give clothes or blankets, largely because that's what everyone gives. Blankets especially...you wouldn't believe how many baby blankets I got with both of my kids. Fortunately my daughter looks at blankets as the most flexible toy ever. It's a tent. No, it's a theater curtain. No, it's an indoor picnic table. No, it's superhero cape.... [Smile]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Gift certificate to a restaurant was my favorite gift! It doesn't have to be fancy-- Chilis or whatever will do-- just a night of not having to cook whenever they want is WONDERFUL for new parents.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Boiling water and torn sheets.

Hey, that's what they gave at the movies and on TV while I was growing up. Whenever teh wife went into labor, the husband went off to tear up sheets and boil water.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

Thank you, hatrack.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Today the doctor at my office got a gift after having had a baby in June. It was a baby powder scented candle. Kind of an amusing gift.

Actually, I know a few middle aged women who sometimes complain that they miss the smell of a clean baby, and they beg whiffs of newborns they come across, and bemoan the fact that their grandbabies don't live closer by so they can sniff them. This would be a great candle for them. I wonder where the candle came from.

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I think these stuffed animals are adorable: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=3176
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I second/ third whatever/ a gift for mom or a meal. Take a meal even if you do buy a gift.

I also second the cautions on diapers and OTC medicines. Additionally, I know we never would have used free babysitting for at least the first year.
A nice gift for baby is the Burt's Baby Bee set.Gifts that are meant to get used up can be nice when you're swimming in stuff.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
romany, I agree that things that are used up are good and that I wouldn't use babysitting until kids were much older and prefer to buy my own medicines as needed (the only ones I ever give to a baby are acetaminophen and ibuprofen), but another caution-- I never give any lotions, soaps, or any other products like that, because my daughter and I both have such sensitive skin that all we can ever use is Dove soap and Eucerin/Aquaphor. My daughter even reacts to zinc, which is in diaper rash creams. So if there's a history of allergy or sensitive skin, you might avoid that as well. [Frown]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Gift Card.

I would be rather creeped out by something like bath salts from a boss. Professional relationship = not too personal a gift.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarfa
Member # 579

- posted      Profile for sarfa   Email sarfa         Edit/Delete Post 
a nanny.
Posts: 748 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Box of condoms with a note, "Do us all a favor." [Wink]

I'd probably do that, and then bust out the real gift of a gift certificate for a massage and a seaweed bath at a spa.

I am sure most women who have just given birth would greatly appreciate that sort of gift. Physical body still being in turmoil and in need of serious pampering IMO.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
Gift Card.

I would be rather creeped out by something like bath salts from a boss. Professional relationship = not too personal a gift.

That was exactly my thought.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

quote:
I'd probably do that, and then bust out the real gift of a gift certificate for a massage and a seaweed bath at a spa.

I am sure most women who have just given birth would greatly appreciate that sort of gift.

No. Nonononono. Not from a male boss.

Totally creeped out.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Yup.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention the fact that some people don't like massages, either because they're not comfortable being touched by strangers or they have sensitive skin or they find the sensation of deep massage unpleasant. So even if you're talking about a friend and not a co-worker, it's not something you should give unless you have reason to know they like massages or have always wanted to try one.

Plus, as others have mentioned, most women who have just given birth are not going to want to leave their baby for the 4 hours necessary for that sort of treatment.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

That's a combination that is screaming for a sexual harrasment complaint. Unless you have a close personal relationship with the mother and KNOW she appreciates your sense of humor this is a really bad idea.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

That's a combination that is screaming for a sexual harrasment complaint. Unless you have a close personal relationship with the mother and KNOW she appreciates your sense of humor this is a really bad idea.
Everybody: DUH! I wouldn't dream of giving that combination of gifts to ANYBODY other than somebody I knew would appreciate the humor. But I imagine if you are sending a gift to a couple who are having a baby, you probably know them more than just as an aquaintance, so its much more plausible.

I know there are people who are not comfortable being massaged, I am one of those people. But I have found the # of people who like them and would appreciate the chance to have one outnumbers those who are like me. And everybody I know who gets them comes out of it VERY happy.

The massage spa coupon can obviously be swapped for say a simple restaurant coupon for a free meal. I personally find that option more attractive.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

[ROFL] [ROFL]

Some of these ideas are God-awful terrible.

But I still appreciate the efforts, guys!

[Evil Laugh]

The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
But I imagine if you are sending a gift to a couple who are having a baby, you probably know them more than just as an aquaintance.
I guess you missed the part where TL said this woman was one of his employees.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
But I imagine if you are sending a gift to a couple who are having a baby, you probably know them more than just as an aquaintance.
I guess you missed the part where TL said this woman was one of his employees.
Indeed I had forgotten that part when I wrote my post, I read the OP and didnt add to the thread until a day later.

WHOOPS!

The Rabbit
Member # 671

Oversight forgiven.

It is worth noting and perhaps remembering that "What do you get for an employee/coworker who just had a baby?" and "What do you get for a close friend who just had a baby?" are questions with very different answers.

B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TL:
Hi Hatrack. About two weeks ago one of the women who works for me had a baby. She's currently on maternity leave. I want to send some kind of congratulatory something.

Flowers? Chocolates? Strippers? I just have no idea what to do when it comes to stuff like this, because I am a cold emotionless robot.

Help me.

Tylenol
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
I think these stuffed animals are adorable: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=3176

Those are so cute! I want one!
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't buy a kid stuffed animals. As tempting as it may seem to buy them some, kids get waaay too many and the parents hate them. I've been treated to rants by professors about how they steal their kids' stuffed animals without the kid knowing and give them away because they are sick of them.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, yeah. Every time a gift giving holiday approaches, I tell them that if they don't get rid of stuffed animals, I'm buying them clothes. Even though I will never buy them another stuffed animal ever, someone will.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.