FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » CNN Anchor Takes Potty Break ...Leaves Mike on During Prez Speech

Author Topic: CNN Anchor Takes Potty Break ...Leaves Mike on During Prez Speech
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
CNN’s Kyra Phillips takes potty break during the president's speach, but leaves her mike on. For those of us guy's who always wondered what women talk about in the the restroom, here's a peek. (Apparently they talk policy, at least at CNN.)

http://hotair.com/archives/2006/08/29/potty-break-mic-snafu-cnns-phillips-chats-in-the-loo-during-bush-speech/

Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
She didn't leave her mic on. The sound guy did. And now, undoubtedly, he is looking for employment elsewhere.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by narrativium:
She didn't leave her mic on. The sound guy did. And now, undoubtedly, he is looking for employment elsewhere.

From the transcript:

quote:
[unidentified woman #2]: "Kyra."

Phillips: "Yeah, baby?"

[unidentified woman #2]: "Your mic is on. Turn it off. It's been on the air."

Which indicates she was supposed to have turned it off. A sound tech undoubtedly should have noticed, and I find it hard to believe they can't control that from somewhere else, but the transcript makes it sound like she was supposed to be doing the switching.

At least she got "caught" talking about how wonderful her husband is, and not about some affair she's having with the sound guy.

Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor girl =(

This is a thing of nightmare!

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Does someone have a link to the transcript?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean
Member # 689

- posted      Profile for Sean   Email Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
transcript
Posts: 148 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I am alone in thinking it's pretty classless to try to make news out of this?
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
How is that a discussion of "policy"? Was there more to the conversation? It seems like a discussion of her husband and brother and sister-in-law.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
** giggles **
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Hee. Reminds me of Friday nights at bingo with my mom. One of the callers (an older gentleman) would bring his microphone into the bathroom, and forget to turn it off. The sounds of flushing echoing throughout the hall would cause us to giggle.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
xnera, that is awesome.

That bathroom conversation makes me feel like I have to step mine up. Usually it's more "Man, I gotta pee, get outta the way" and the like.

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
I like how CNN apologized to the viewers and the president. I don't think the president watches CNN, and I think the viewers enjoyed the audio difficulties more than they would have the speech.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
The assistant pastor at my church did that during the sunrise Easter service one year. The parishioners were amused.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Demonstrocity, my experience has very little bearing on something like CNN, I'm sure, but for what it's worth, in my community theater, we are miked, and we have the technical capability of turning off or muting our mics, but it is not our responsibility to do so. In fact, we are pretty much forbidden from doing it, though some actors do it anyway out of paranoia. The reason the techs and directors don't like for us to mute our own mics is that if we should forget to unmute them before entering again, there is really nothing that can be done about it. It is (in our theater) the techs' responsibility to turn our mics down/off when we exit and on when we enter, and if they forget, they can always do it later when they hear the voices and realize it. So they have more control. My bet is that it's not her fault, but some sound guy's.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Silly news, but it's America, if what Karr drank on a plane is news, this is news. Shouldn't be, but Jon Stewart will have some fun with it tonight.

On the bright side, I bet her husband is on a little cloud right now.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Both of the articles linked have been right wing blogs. Anyone care to share with me how this is political news?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Makes CNN looks silly. Right Wing bloggers think the media is controlled by the liberals, thus:

Liberals are silly potty break takers who leave their mics on.

[Wink]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

On the bright side, I bet her husband is on a little cloud right now.

[Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
I've worked in television.

Most mikes aren't really accessable to turn on or off--the on/off switch on wireless lavaliers is in the little battery pack/transmitter part that's tucked someplace inconvenient.

The guy at the audio boards decides which of all the feeds he wants running. He's got a "Pot" (short for potentiometer) for each of them--bascially a volume control and a "mute" button.

Of course, there's a chance it wasn't the audio guy--it could also have been somebody in master control, but I find it less likely.

I'm guessing someone heard it and gave her a heads up to kill it, and somebody else probably went to find the audio guy.

What I'm thinking is very likely is that this audio guy had a habit of listening in on conversations of people who weren't around but still miked. You can do that--listen without brodcasting--so that you can set the sound levels for people who are getting ready to go on the air. That's the only reason I can think of that he would have his headphones on and not realize she was going out over the air.

Pure speculation on my part, though.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I bet she wants to destroy the sound guy if it was his fault. And what she said about her sister in law...*shudders* That will make their next meeting pretty awkward.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've worked in television.
So you're really getting a kick out of these replies, eh?

[Wink]

(anyone? anyone?)

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe so. But if it's my job and my reputation I'm not going to depend on someone else. I'm going to physically turn off the mic myself.

Every radio personality I heard discussing it today while driving in my car (and I was in my car for hours, so I heard a lot of it) relayed stories of how it's all happened to them and that in their training they are always to consider that any mic is live, no matter what. These were all professionals in the business, and they considered it her fault, or at least that she should have made sure. That said, they did all say they had done it too, it happens, it's not intentional but they didn't shift the blame to some sound guy.

And as for what she said about her sister-in-law, heck we've all said things about relatives we probably wish we could take back. usually our faux pas' aren't as widely distributed, though. Poor girl. Wonder if her brother's mad at her?

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

If I were her brother, and if his wife is really the way she describes, I'd be more worried about fending her off, than dealing with my sister.

He has an earful coming his way.

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
That said, they did all say they had done it too, it happens, it's not intentional but they didn't shift the blame to some sound guy.

Again, I know it's not the same, but our directors and techs have specifically said words to the effect of "If I forget to turn you off when you leave, or on when you enter, that's my fault, and the director will come yell at me. But if you mute your mic and forget to unmute it before entering, that's your fault, and we will both rip you a new one."

And yes, we are still asked to wait several seconds after leaving the stage before we have any conversation at all (More than one "SH-T! I blew that line!" or such moment has been overheard because it does take a second or two to get all the mics off. I think I myself once said, as act one ended "This audience is dead tonight!") And yes, I generally wait to get within earshot of a backstage monitor before I engage in any conversation at all, just in case. So she definitely should have been conscious, in her conversation, of the fact that she could be overheard. But I still suspect the bulk of the fault for the mishap itself lies with some sound guy.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.