FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » hey fiber/yarn fanatics.... Fiber delivered? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: hey fiber/yarn fanatics.... Fiber delivered?
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Fiber has arrived! And it is gorgeous - I can't wait to work with it! [Big Grin]

Thanks, AJ!

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*grin* Glad you like it!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

oh... you might want to do another hot water pre-shrink before using it. I'm not sure how much it is going to shrink otherwise.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like a good idea, plus the dye might still bleed a bit, too.

How exactly would I go about preshrinking it? Do I just soak it in really hot water for a few minutes and then let it drip dry? Should I leave it as it is or somehow unwind it and shrink it without getting it tangled in the process? I've never tried to preshrink yarn, so I wouldn't want to accidentally ruin it.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Yup I'd leave it as is, just do really hot water. Don't agitate it too much or it will felt on you. I did rinse it pretty good once already in hot water and got quite a bit of dye out.

I've got it wound into a center pull ball so I'd just leave as is, making sure the hot soaks all the way in to the center.

Was thinking of trying to microwave it in a bowl of water ir something.

Maybe make your pattern a few stitches bigger if possible to allow for shrinkage at the end too.

AJ

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I got mine today, oh man that's gorgeous AJ. I'm not sure what I want to do with it yet. I could make a felted bag which is like my specialty but then you'd lose parts of the texture (it'd still show as gorgeous texture wise). Thank you so so much. Do you know about how many yards that is?
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I'm estimating 150 yards... might be as much as 170 though. The larger roll should be about 100.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

I found a fiber I don't like. I bought more of it, before I got the first shipment and now I'm kicking myself.

So much for the "I love alpacas" commercials.

I hate alpaca fiber. Is it really that bad? Probably not, but after spinning merino grade wool this stuff is considerably coarser.

I can't believe it costs so much more!!!

AJ

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm do you know what grade of alpaca it is? There are several different ones. I've only used superfine and suri, which were both great to knit with, but I didn't spin them.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

http://www.spunkyhats.com/accyarnroving.htm I bought the flutterby which still has a picture up, as well as another color called "leaf litter".

I am probably spinning it wrong... doing research and consulting with my fiber guru on how to fix it.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

breyerchic,

Up the yardage estimate. Your larger ball is 120 yards so you may have as much as 200 yards there.

AJ

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Awesome, thanks.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.