FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hey MightyCow, about Tin Soldier...

Author Topic: Hey MightyCow, about Tin Soldier...
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
I interpret the song differently... I saw it as the people of the valley being a little hasty and greedy. When they got the reply from the mountain people that the mountain people would share their treasure with the valley people, it's like it wasn't enough.

Just wanted to throw that out there without keeping this going on B34N's thread.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I ask who sang this song? It's in one of my girl scout songbooks, but I've never had an artist to attribute it to.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know who sang it 'first'... I learned it at Girl Scout camp, too...
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Tin_Soldier

I'm partly playing devil's advocate in blaming the mountain people. The song is simply too sappy to have much deep meaning, so I like to imagine a whole range of social and political pressures going on within the two kingdoms, power plays by various officials on both sides, spying, etc.

It's more interesting to me if it's not as cut and dry as the song makes it out to be. I imagine the song as propaganda, possibly spread by a neighboring kingdom with their own hidden treasure. A hidden treasure they have no intention of sharing with the rest of us... TO BATTLE!

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Ever hear of Original Caste?

Me either.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe, instead of sharing, the Mountain People should have given the Valley People all of the treasure; it would have ended happier.
I guess I'll move this over here in the effort to not start flame wars.

quote:
Basically, the mountain people should have stopped being so dern peaceful and started picking fights with each other. Then they can give all of the the peace to the valley people. Then the mountain people that like the peace can move to the valley and the valley people that like the fighting can go up to the mountain.

Basically, it's just relocation, but I think it would have saved a lot of bloodshed.

-------------------------------------

I'm with you MC, those dern Canadians don't want us to have their treasure?! They want share?! Mount your Hondas! Draw your police grade tazers! (your not Canadian are you?)

I think there is a whole underlying story to this song that they don't want us to know about. If we analyze it thoroughly enough, and delve all of it's possible meanings, we will have the advantage when it comes to war!

That's the point of the song, right?

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
All those golden beavers, building their platinum dams to hide their diamond-studded toques!

Well not let those northerners hide their valuable snow and trees from us!

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Global Warming's root cause--Canadian's hoarding of all that #$#@$#@ snow.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.