FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Exremely Short Stories?

Author Topic: Exremely Short Stories?
Drek, E.O.
Member # 9705

- posted      Profile for Drek, E.O.   Email Drek, E.O.         Edit/Delete Post 
So our local writing club has been having an Extremely Short Story Contest (max 800 words) from time to time, and it's been a lot of fun. Given a opening sentence and three random words, you have to write a story incorporating them.

It's cool because it forces you to think outside the box, creating some really original stories; my ESSs are some of my favorite stories to go back and read when I'm bored. It's also great for a change if you're suffering from writer's block (and who doesn't from time to time? [Smile] ).

So I guess my question is this: is there some people who might want to try this?

Like I said, it's only 800 words, so it's not a huge committment, and it's a lot of fun. No prizes for the winner except "Fame and glory, kid. Fame and glory." And a great little story you can even submit somewhere else if you want.

If you're interested, post a note, and if I can get a dozen people from various forums, I'll set it up. Do it! You know you want to!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
There once was a man named Billy Barty...
Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of us are doing Flash Fiction Friday.

It's slightly different - we've got a picture to go from, and quidscribis is running it.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, not so much running as leading the charge. [Wink]

I'm enjoying it.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Some kids got lost and were found. The End. [Wink]
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dasa
Member # 8968

- posted      Profile for Dasa   Email Dasa         Edit/Delete Post 
Hemingway wrote an awesome short:

"For Sale. Baby shoes. Never worn"

I have never seen it topped [Smile]

Posts: 107 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Drek, E.O.:
And a great little story you can even submit somewhere else if you want.

Only if you don't post it to a public webpage first.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
We sometimes get a picture to run from. Sometimes, we may not. [Smile] It's all subject to change, baby. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
"The last man on earth sat in his house. There was a knock at the door"
Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Kristen, can I steal that?
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dasa
Member # 8968

- posted      Profile for Dasa   Email Dasa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kristen:
"The last man on earth sat in his house. There was a knock at the door"

That was nice [Smile] Perhaps it was the last woman [Big Grin]
Posts: 107 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.