FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Desperate Housewives Thoughts? Good? Bad?

Author Topic: Desperate Housewives Thoughts? Good? Bad?
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I just finished season 2 of DHs. We love it. I think it is interesting, funny, dramatic, and I am invested in the characters.

I like that kids play a major factor in the plot development. The women are older and not slutty--generally. The dads are trying their best.

I just like it.

However, I recently was telling my friend he should watch it...and I felt silly. I have never seen it referenced on Hatrack. Are there any fans out there?

I would like to see Hatracks general opinion. When you give your opinion, would you also say if you have seen non of it, a little, or a lot of DH?

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never seen any of it.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that show.
It's supposed to be sleezy in a way, but underneathe it all, it's really intelligent and well written. All of the characters are fascinating too and well put together I think. It would seem like a show I'd hate, but it's just too good.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I found the second half of season two to be disturbing. Increased nastiness, perhaps. I don't know. I felt guilty about watching and some shows left a bad feeling in my heart. I'll probably watch the third season at least for awhile. They promised changes of some sort, I know.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I started watching because it had Teri Hatcher. I really, really tried to like it. And when I have it on, it fascinates me, in much the way an accident does as you drive by. So I've stopped turning it on.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I *love* Teri Hatcher.

And I love Desperate Housewives. Please warn about spoilers - I am only about halfway through Season 2 on DVD. So far I think Season 1 is better because it seemed to have a more coherent story arc, but I'm fascinated by this one, too.

I think you really just have to look at it as dark humor. These people don't act like people in real life, and it's not intended to be an accurate portrayal of suburbia or human nature or any of that. I think if you take it for what it is - melodramatic, darly funny (hilariously darkly funny) and completely entertaining - it's great.

I can see why people who take it to seriously are turned off.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
What Rivka said.

The Teri Hatcher character is great, she's so funny - but she's only such a small fraction of the show. The rest is trash, to me. Nastiness, adultery, etc. ... I enjoyed the first few shows but stopped watching it about halfway through the first season. I know it isn't meant to be taken seriously, but I just didn't need that stuff in my house.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoy Desperate Housewives. I've seen all of Season 1, and a few episodes of Season 2. Soon I'll get the second on DVD and watch it all. I find it captivating and moving. The characters are dynamic and well written. And best of all, they learn and grow. I love it. Funny thing is, when it initially came on I saw the first episode and hated it (I still hate Susan burning down the house- painful to watch). Later on, I dated a guy who loved the show and he got me hooked. It's interesting, dark, funny, and has a decent dash of truth mixed in.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I love that show! It's rather addicting.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
The commercials for that show have kept me from watching it at all, no matter how highly it has been recommended.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I never watched it because it's on Sunday. I do watch TV on Sunday, but that is way out of the kind of my Sunday TV-viewing. So, in a way, I'm relieved. I think I probably shouldn't be watching it, so the fact that it's on Sunday makes the decision easier.

And I don't want to know that it's on DVD, so I could watch it any day of the week. *sticks fingers in ears* la-la-la-la-la

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with mph on this one; what I see in the commercials makes me resolute in my decision NOT to watch it, even if it's "good."
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I find Teri Hatcher tiresome, the same with Eva Longoria's character, but the first season was held together by a nice, overarching plot.

The best parts of the second season concerned Bree's instability, and how circumstances aligned to bring about her virtues and vices.

Felicity Huffman's character is instantly likable if for no other reason than she gets street cred for being one of Aaron Sorkin's actresses. On top of that, she is the only woman on that show, besides Mrs. Mcclosky, I think I could stand for more than ten minutes.

But forget desperate housewives, "Weeds" is a suburban women's show written by interesting people.

[ September 09, 2006, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I love it, but halfway through last season, the Sopranos took over Sunday nights.
They do have a way of pushing their way in!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and my new desperate housewives are on Big Love.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.