FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Favorite "difficult" novel? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Favorite "difficult" novel?
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I just reread Roger Zelzany's Lord of Light. While I was enthralled by it, I was also reminded why I don't reread it very often...it's the sort of book that takes one's commitment to enjoy. The plot begins with events near the end of the story, skips back to the beginning, only gives hints 95% of the time on what's actually happening, reaches several false climaxes before the actual climax...

It's -good-, but it's demanding.

What novel do you love, but find requires more than its fair share of effort to get through?

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack.

I know it doesn't count as a novel, but . . . . Hatrack.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
It took me a while to get into A Game of Thrones by G.R.R. Martin. You just have to stomach your way past those first few chapters before you can get hooked.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Lord of Light, actually.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Lord of the Rings.

Wonderful, wonderful story, but not the best-flowing writing in the world. It takes effort.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Xenocide does that for me. I'm rereading it again- like Speaker I can get through in you know- 5-7 days time reading it off and on. But Xenocide just keeps going and I'll read a lot and then realize I didn't make very much progress. That's the reason why I've only read Children of the Mind like two or three times.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
The Silmarillion

Great stories.
Very hard to read.

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
A Game of Thrones seemed pretty easy to get into for me.

I'd have to agree with LOTR though, I still haven't finished the second book because it's just too slow.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Les Miserables takes the cake as the novel I am most happy I had to read for class. I doubt I could ever reread it, but reading it once definately left a lasting impression on me.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Earendil18:
The Silmarillion

Great stories.
Very hard to read.

I kind of agree. It definitely was a pain the first time through, and there are still a couple parts I gloss over, but overall I love it.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
The Baroque Cycle
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough, Pastwatch the first time I read it.

Consistently, "Glass Bead Game" is a tough read, but words fail to express how pleased I was after I finished reading it the first time. Probably the... deepest (intense in a complete immersion sort of way) book I've ever read, by a long distance.

Also, Pillars of the Earth was a challenge at times, but in the end made me glad I stuck with it.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Dr. Faustus

It's probably clearer in German. As it stood, I could feel the power and depth, but I think that a translation took away a bit of the clarity.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I, um, like Ulysses.

As in Joyce.

[Blushing]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
The Baroque Cycle

Yeah, tried that once. Didn't get more than a couple hundred pages in before I realized I had no idea what was going on. I think I'll try again someday.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
I finished the first book of the Baroque Cycle, enjoyed it considerably, but never got around to starting the second (or, of course, the third). Not sure I ever will. I probably will reread Cryptonomicon one of these days. Which I suppose is my favorite "difficult" novel.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Two recent books, both difficult (for different reasons), both destined I think to be favorites:

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell

House of Leaves -- I am only halfway through (no spoilers, please!).

Strange and Norrell starts out very slow, and is not for everyone. I ultimately found it deeply satisfying -- clever, funny, sad, inspiring.

House of Leaves is extremely unconventional. The author decomposes "novel" in every way imaginable, and the resulting disorientation about where the "fourth wall" lies (to borrow a term from theater) allows the story's horror to seep into one's everyday experience in ways unlike any conventional thriller.

Anyone else read or reading these?

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to say House of Leaves as well, I see someone beat me to it.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
Try reading Red Fish Blue Fish fast. That's all I have to say.
Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I've actually put down Lord of light on my first try. It's only a couple of years after that that I went back to reading it and found it to be worth the effort.

Oh, and have you tried to read Tolstoi's War and Peace? 300 pages of introduction. The man had time on his hands. It gets really great once you've passed those.

Peter Hamilton's The Reality Dysfunction is probably SF's War and Peace from this point of view. Excellent ideas that come after 300 pages of boring introduction. It may not be the greatest character book, but the ideas and the action more than make up for this and for the somewhat too "heroic" plot.

As for the best book of this kind, I think it must be Frank Herbert's God-Emperor of Dune. I've started reading the series when I was quite young, but each book had enough "action" to keep my mind occupied and away from the more psychological stuff. But with GE I hit a wall. That's why it was my least favorite book of the series until I reread them. Now I'm not even sure I have favorites in this series anymore. They are all so interesting, cohesive but also with enough differences to make each one a great book on its own.

And if anyone wants a tough read, try Stanislaw Lem's Memoirs Found in a Bathtub. So far I haven't found another person to have finished it. [Smile] I've also read that it's very much in Kafka's style, so I guess I'll have to take a look at his books too someday. My first try was unsuccessful, but you never know.

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JennaDean:
Lord of the Rings.

Wonderful, wonderful story, but not the best-flowing writing in the world. It takes effort.

Its funny, I read the first few hundred pages and was completely bored by the thing. Friends tell me it was a life changing experience, but for the life of me I can't see how these people get into the books. They're just so discursive!
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:
[QB]
Oh, and have you tried to read Tolstoi's War and Peace? 300 pages of introduction. The man had time on his hands. It gets really great once you've passed those.
QB]

Available on Audible.com, its something like 60-70 hours of listening. Yeah. I actually want to at least give it a listen to say that I did read it.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by happymann:

Heh. That's easy. Try Fox in Sox.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
I personal never have any trouble with LOTR, but I have probably read them 6-8 times in my life.

I am currently reading "Three Days Till Never" by Tim Powers. I find it very interesting, but he jumps around a lot, has several characters’ points of view and intentionally leaves things confusing to resolve later. It’s not Tolstoy, but it’s harder to follow than the standard thriller.

I’ll second Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell for the same reasons. Has anyone hear when she is going to release something else?

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by happymann:

I love doing speed readings of Hop On Pop for my kids. [Smile]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mistaben
Member # 8721

- posted      Profile for mistaben           Edit/Delete Post 
The first time I read LOTR, it was wonderful and very difficult. I started in 5th grade and took about a year.

More recently, Baroque Cycle (2 out of 3 so far) has been delightful and challenging.

Posts: 105 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, LOTR was difficult. That's all I have to say. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been reading "Don Quijote" in Spanish for the last 30 years. I'm only half way through. Its not even the vocabulary even though my Spanish chops are all Mexican. It's just a slow book and once I put it down, its hard to pick it up again.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested in some comments on what we mean by 'difficult.' Certainly difficulty must be a value-neutral term? Books are better judged, IMO, on so many more levels than mere 'ease,' including whether the author achieved her aim.

I personally do not put LOTR in the same category as House of Leaves. The former may be more or less difficult for different readers, depending on their age, experience, maturity, taste, educational background, cultural upbringing, etc., but I don't think anyone can argue that Tolkein intended to write a difficult book -- that he set out to do anything other than spin an epic yarn. Can one?

(Nor did I consider Cryptonomicon a difficult read; but then, I have a taste for a lot of the math/code stuff that might have dismayed a less technical person.)

OTOH, House of Leaves is deliberately difficult -- it is part of the writer's creative approach to use nested narration, nested footnotes, and unconventional typography (including fragmentary phrases, hidden codes, and blocks of text upside-down and sideways).

What's not difficult? Stephen King? Rosamund Pilcher? Agatha Christie? Dan Brown (god help us)?

(Okay, so oops! I betray my bias -- I think I generally prefer difficult to non-difficult.)

Comments?

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to get through Gravity's Rainbow someday. I've read two of Pynchon's easier ones -- The Crying of Lot 49 and Vineland -- and admired Pynchon's where-the-hell-did-he-get-that creativity.

Gravity's Rainbow is way more sprawling and dense than those two. It's like trying to eat an entire fruitcake at once. I've only gotten 50 pages through it; someday I'll read it VERY slowly and get through the whole thing...

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't find Cryptonomicon a difficult book. It was a darn quick read.

The Baroque Cycle on the other hand, I acutally wrote a thread partially about how difficult I found it.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by John Van Pelt:
I'd be interested in some comments on what we mean by 'difficult.' Certainly difficulty must be a value-neutral term? Books are better judged, IMO, on so many more levels than mere 'ease,' including whether the author achieved her aim.

I took it as a given that everyone has their own standard of "difficult, so I felt no need to point that out.

Reread my initial post. I asked about books that one found difficult to read, but still considered good and rewarding.

At no point did I advocate judging a book only on ease. Quite the opposite, as I was talking about a book I really liked! [Smile]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

LotR is difficult. It's boring. I've tried a total of 3 times in my life, and I've never gotten past the first 50 or so pages of Fellowship.

I've read The Hobbit, and that's fine. But the turgidity of Fellowship of the Ring is just beyond my abilities.

Reading is fun for me. If it's difficult in that way, why on earth would I waste my time on it?

In the case of LotR, I tried it when I was given copies as a kid. I tried again in my 20s, and again after the first LotR movie came out. I'd happily read a novelization of the movies; something meant to entertain, as opposed to an Oxford don playing with words.

Some books I read are cotton candy. Some are solid and full, and extremely gratifying. None of those are difficult for me. Bug Jack Barron, for example. Halperin's Winter's Tale. OSC's Hart's Hope.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with blacwolve, Les Mis, but I didn't read it for a class because I didn't take HD that year, I read it on my own.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

PuffyTreat, I hope you didn't misconstrue. I was just rambling a bit, not questioning the premise of the thread, or accusing you (or anyone) of considering 'difficult' books 'bad.'

I had just been struck by some of the different flavors to the answers here. Take Lisa's -- does turgidity make something difficult? Is LOTR really turgid?

I call it literary, with an epic-poetic bent strongly influenced by Middle English, Norse, and Gaelic sagas. REAL turgidity is actually bad writing (IMO), implying pompous verbosity.

Of course these are subjective; of course everyone has their own standard of difficulty. I was just interested in digging a bit into what those differences are, across the spectrum of the thread so far.

I agree, BTW, on Les Mis and Cervantes... I find those hard. This might indicate that cultural backgrounds are key. I grew up in England and was weaned on Dickens, Bronte, and Shakespeare. Perhaps it's natural that LOTR reads easily to me.

Loren
Member # 9539

- posted      Profile for Loren   Email Loren         Edit/Delete Post 
huh huh...John said "turgid." And then he said "weaned."

kq, I quite enjoyed Ulysses, too. I would probably also add The Name of the Rose and Foucault's Pendulum to my list of favorite "difficult" novels.

Posts: 100 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Little_Doctor:
It took me a while to get into A Game of Thrones by G.R.R. Martin. You just have to stomach your way past those first few chapters before you can get hooked.

Is that book any good? I can never get past the first...30 pages or so. I mean, it was ok. But it was so boring. Does it pick the pace up a bit?

Maybe I should try to read it again and just be more committed.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChevMalFet
Member # 9676

- posted      Profile for ChevMalFet           Edit/Delete Post 
Going to have to add my vote for The Baroque Cycle. More specifically, maybe, the first of the three (Quicksilver? I think); I realize there was a lot going on and a lot to set up, but never has a book required so much perceived effort to slag through until I got into the story. After the first book was through there were some slower bits but overall very enjoyable.

I'm reading difficult as tedious, in this case, not necessarily difficult to understand, but difficult to get immersed in.

Posts: 74 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I had trouble with both LOTR and Pastwatch. The first time I read FOTR I couldn't get through it and it was only with great dedication that I finished Pastwatch. Now I love them both, however.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa, I gotta agree with you on LOTR. "Turgid" is an inadequate adjective.

Of late, I would have to say that my toughest read that was worth it was "Perdido Street Station". The guy that wrote that has some interesting ideas, some I wish I'd thought of myself, but it takes him a WHOLE LOTTA PAGES to spit them out on paper. Ultimately, I thought it was well worth the time and energy, but don't think it wasn't an effort. I'm usually at more of a "Warlord of Mars" level of reading.

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I found LotR beyond easy to read - it never seemed like effort. It seemed like it pulled me through it, rather than me moving through it.

The first time I read it, I read it all in a single day - about 18 hours, basically straight through. I was in seventh grade.

I have no idea why this is when so many found it difficult. It's clearly not an uncommon opinion, and I know lots of otherwise fast, good readers who found it difficult. But I can't even begin to wrap my head around that.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a difficult time with LOTR the first time through, probably about 7th grade also. After I saw the first movie I read through all three books and found them pretty easy.

My favorite difficult book is Moby Dick. I've read it 5 times. Now I peruse my notes and go back to specific chapters when something comes to mind that is worth reconsidering. It just never ceases to amaze me how many levels that book operates on.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gecko
Member # 8160

- posted      Profile for Gecko           Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE Dhalgren, which a lot of people have trouble with. It's my favorite Sci-Fi novel of all time and if people finish it, I'm sure they'd see just how great it is.

Also, Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
quote:
Originally posted by John Van Pelt:

I took it as a given that everyone has their own standard of "difficult, so I felt no need to point that out.

Reread my initial post. I asked about books that one found difficult to read, but still considered good and rewarding.

At no point did I advocate judging a book only on ease. Quite the opposite, as I was talking about a book I really liked! [Smile]

But difficult is not necessarily value neutral either. I think I have described some books as difficult in the negative- the author's voice makes it difficult to read and it becomes less rewarding than a similar book might have been by another author. Difficult is not always challenging- for instance, a book which is simply too long and too boring is difficult to read but is not a challenge in a certain sense, because it can be done in time. It may be an endurance challenge rather than an intellectual one, and then there are challenges to your esthetic values, your beliefs, or your perceptions and assumptions about things.

Difficult in these various contexts can be good or bad or neither, but in reading LOTR, I called it difficult in the negative, because I found myself teary eyed at the thought of another discussion of someplace I had never heard of and would care nothing about in an hour. This aspect would not make the book difficult for everyone, so it is a value judgement pertaining to my own experience with the book, rather than a general observation.

Lisa
Member # 8384

Atlas Shrugged. When I first tried to read it, in college, I got about 4 pages in, and it just didn't hold my interest. When I discovered Rand (through her non-fiction) and went to read it when I was 32, my cousin told me about the 60 page speech by John Galt near the end of the book. He told me to just skip the 60 pages, and I wouldn't have missed a thing.

Beats me what he was talking about. I've read the book a few times, and every time, I read through every bit of that speech and just savor it.

Different strokes, I guess.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

quote:
Originally posted by Palliard:

Of late, I would have to say that my toughest read that was worth it was "Perdido Street Station". The guy that wrote that has some interesting ideas, some I wish I'd thought of myself, but it takes him a WHOLE LOTTA PAGES to spit them out on paper. Ultimately, I thought it was well worth the time and energy, but don't think it wasn't an effort. I'm usually at more of a "Warlord of Mars" level of reading.

I tried to read Perdido Street Station several years ago and stopped about halfway through. The writing was good and the ideas were interesting, but they were so completely different my mind didn't have anything to get a hold of. Just fitting it all in my brain was a challenge that I wasn't prepared for at the time. I should go back and try again.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
I just reread Roger Zelzany's Lord of Light. While I was enthralled by it, I was also reminded why I don't reread it very often

I'm curious, how often do you reread books? Not just Puffy, but all of you. I can count the books I've read more than once on one hand. I have little interest in rereading something when there are so many books yet to read.

Perhaps that is a reflection of the kind of reader I am. I read realatively slowly, but very thoroughly. As a result, I have excellent retention and can remember details from books I read years ago. In contrast, my husband reads very fast but has forgotten the details after only a couple of weeks.

For those of you who enjoy rereading books, how would you describe your reading style.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I gave up on Perdido Street Station a year ago... I still think I might pick it up again... but I just can't do it. The dialogue kills me.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

I reread books constantly. I have absolutely horrible retention. But even books I've read so many times I have them memorized I reread just because I love them so much. The summer after I discovered Tamora Pierce's Alanna series I spent a two week period sitting on the living room coach reading them again and again. I had them in a pile in order on the floor and when I finished one I'd put it on the bottom and take the one off the top. I averaged a book to a book and a half a day. I must have read the whole series 6 or 7 times in that two week period.

Now, I'm not normally that ridiculous, but I do need to reread things about once a year in order to retain them. So most of the time when I'm rereading I feel like I'm reading an entirely new book.

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by blacwolve:
Les Miserables takes the cake as the novel I am most happy I had to read for class. I doubt I could ever reread it, but reading it once definately left a lasting impression on me.

I dunno, for me it was Anna Karenina, I think... I loved Les Miserables too, but Anna Karenina was even better.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.