FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Worlds best job EVER!!!!

Author Topic: MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Worlds best job EVER!!!!
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I will now be making 8$ an hour to.... TEST PLAY VIDEO GAMESS!!!!!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Hah! [Big Grin] Cool and congrats. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Perfect!
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard that that job actually really sucks. Can give you hand cramps and carpal tunnel and ridiculously long hours near deadlines.

But- oh how I would love to test video games....

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Beta-testing games is grueling, often tedious work. Seriously. It is NOT "playing games all day."

It is "trying to break games all day."

Often, your boss will give you mandates like "we need you to bump up against every tree in the game world to make sure we've eliminated that clipping issue."

$8/hr. is actually the low end of the pay scale for a professional tester, not least because it's rather difficult work and turnover is high.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

but its still 50 awesome cents more then my last job!!!! ^^!!!
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
Professional video game testing is one of two jobs that teenage boys all wanted to have that ultimately ends up sucking the life out of their favorite things.

The other being gynecologist.

Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't that Canadian money though? [Razz]

(Demonstrocity, you slay me. [ROFL] )

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
What company is it for? Hopefully it will be for cool games.

Good luck with it. I've heard that it is a pretty unpleasant job, but that it is also a great way to get into the video game industry.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Indeed.

we "unofficially" test erm

Ya I'm not allowed to dir4ectly mention who Ill be working for.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Guy I knew started testing for Activision, he didnt have anything good to say about it.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

Often, your boss will give you mandates like "we need you to bump up against every tree in the game world to make sure we've eliminated that clipping issue."

$8/hr. is actually the low end of the pay scale for a professional tester, not least because it's rather difficult work and turnover is high.

Hmm, what would you say an average starting salary would be? For enough money, I could very easily bump into every tree in the game world.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never, ever known a guy who wanted to be a gynecologist as a boy.

Playboy photographer maybe...

I'd need more than 8 dollars an hour to do that. Especially if it was Canadian money.

I thought from the thread title and the poster that he'd been made Canadian ambassador to China or something.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I won't rain on your parade, the job I want isn't much better. [Smile]

Congratulations, you're gonna have a great time there for a while, and you'll meet a lot of people who are at least as into games as you. My bet is that you'll be very happy. [Smile]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Just remember, the grass is always greener after you adjust your monitor.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've heard that it is a pretty unpleasant job, but that it is also a great way to get into the video game industry.
This is also sadly becoming less and less true; testing is turning into a dead-end job.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

meh, for now I can laugh at my parents for saying I wont get anywhere by playing obscene amounts of video games.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on the new job, Blayne. Sounds better that the deli, I'd say. Let us know how it goes.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
So this means your job won't interfere with Crusader Kings anymore, am I right? Cool! See you Friday; I've decided it's time to restore Saxon dominance of England.

[Big Grin]

Incidentally, my friend the Pope is offering a very good deal on 'not getting excommunicated'. You should make him an offer; he's surprisingly reasonable at times when a repentant sinner shows his repentance. You are repentant, aren't you?

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

WHO WHAT! Ok make sure ot contact me on ICQ before hand so I dont forget considering Im ot used ot this as of yet.
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
I know it could get unpleasant and tedious but I think it would still be pretty fun.

So what games are you going to test?

Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I thought from the thread title and the poster that he'd been made Canadian ambassador to China or something.

When I saw the thread title and originator, I immediately thought that Blayne had figured a way to get paid to play games.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I've never, ever known a guy who wanted to be a gynecologist as a boy.

Seriously? I think every guy I knew in middle/high school wanted to at some point.

Except me, but only because my mom worked for an optometrist. She told me about a gynecologist who came in because he had gotten gonnorhea IN AN EYE. And that reminded me that while I'm sure it's thrilling to be invited to look at naughty bits for about 20 seconds, the realization then hits you that you get to look at the bits of unattractive people, and diseased bits, and even the bits of the beautiful likely get boring through sheer repetition after the first, oh, I dunno, day.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, there was a Friends episode about that.

Where Rachel meets a male gynecologist, and he's like, "What do you do?
She says, "I'm a waitress..."
Doctor: "Well, do you ever get to the end of the day, and you're just like, if I see ONE MORE cup of coffee...."

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tænte Shvæster
Member # 9711

- posted      Profile for Tænte Shvæster   Email Tænte Shvæster         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
-pH Posts: 6666 | Registered: Nov 2000 | IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nice post count, pH. So palidromic. So sixy!
Posts: 17 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.