FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » First goose liver, now Horse (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: First goose liver, now Horse
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
How long before they get to a meat you actually WANT to eat?

How long after that before they ban ALL meat?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060907/pl_nm/food_horsemeat_dc

quote:

Moved by appeals to protect the noble horse, the U.S. House (of Representatives) voted on Thursday to ban the slaughter of horses for food, potentially saving 90,000 animals a year from being served as a delicacy to diners overseas.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, I've been on a petition list for this for several years.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually want to eat horse.

I wonder where I can get some.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
mph: europe
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I have had horse--raw. It was very bloody and very sweet. I had to eat it. My wife and I got married in Japan 6 months after we married here. It was also during New Years.

There were lots of celebrations, lots of family, and 2 large plates of raw horse. I was expected to eat it.

I had to choke it down, but I have to admit it was very sweet.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:

Why?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Why not? Why is it OK to eat a cow or a pig but not a horse? Or a dog for that matter?

But the real answer is because I haven't had it yet.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

I don't want to eat horse, dog or cat... BUT I don't want laws against it either.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't mean "Why?" as in "Why in the world would you want to do such a morally despicable thing, Porter? I'm so ashamed to have any association with you at all after hearing such a loathsome confession from you. Now either justify yourself or excuse yourself from polite society until further notice."

I meant "Why?" as in "Oh, you want to eat horse. Hmm. I wonder why."

Me, I have no desire to eat a horse. Or a pig. Neither is kosher.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there goes my fast food franchise idea,

"Pony on up to Mr. Ed's Last Stand.

We put the Neigh in your Neighborhood.

We have the only fast food that delivers itself, and talk about fast. You may be the lucky person who gets to devour a burger made from last years Triple Crown loser.

He may of come in second at the Kentucky Derby, but he won't be second rate food.

Or ask about our pony meal for the kids.

Want it to go? We supply the lassoo.

Each herd culled daily for your dining pleasure.

So hoof it on down to the most authentic cowboy restaurant on the praire.

Mr. Ed's Last Stand"

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Dan: You'll just have to serve Boca-Horse then =D
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Rat, dog, squirrel, and horse are all critters that I want to eat at some time.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

My cousin, Linda-Ruth, used to eat Squirrel brains.

She loved to boil her some squirrel heads and then crack 'em open with the heal of her spoon.

She'd prolly be put in jail if she did it these days....

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

You can still hunt squirrels for food in most areas.
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
It these congresspersons ever really looked at the abandoned and feral horses that infest the Great Basin Desert, they might not be so quick to criticize the reasonable efforts that the BLM is forced to take to control their numbers and prevent starvation. Somebody read My Friend Flica a few too many times in their youth or childhood.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
Want it to go? We supply the lassoo.

I believe that would be "Pony Express."
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Rat, dog, squirrel, and horse are all critters that I want to eat at some time.

Rat? You want to eat rat? I'm not sure if that is normal.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the major problems and reasons why these laws were created was people neglecting and even stealing horses to be sent to "kill auctions" Also there were wild mustangs being rounded up for this purpose at one point. Horse people and animal activists got the most upset when Ferdinand winner of the 86 derby was likely slaughtered for dog food in Japan.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Aren't there already laws against Horse Russeling?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
And why not?

Are horses entitled to better treatment than chickens?

I do think its sad to breed and raise horses to race and if a leg is injured, to simply shoot the horse and feed it to the dogs. But I think the sin is shooting the horse so as to avoid having to keep feeding it and paying for it, not that it was fed to another animal or to another countries people.

If people in Japan have a taste for horse meat let them eat horse meat. Don't let several viewings of movies like "Sea Biscuit, and "Dreamer" make you think horses ought not to be eaten.

People in India think its wrong to eat beef, but they don't try to stop us from eating it. If somebody ran a cattle ranch in India and exported cows to be eaten in the US, they wouldnt try to stop them.

Why should this case be any different?

If you think eating animals is wrong, well fine. But arguing some animals are for eating and others are not is just silly IMO.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
People in India think its wrong to eat beef, but they don't try to stop us from eating it. If somebody ran a cattle ranch in India and exported cows to be eaten in the US, they wouldnt try to stop them.
I think they might, actually. They would be in the wrong, but Hindu nationalists are a force in the Indian Parliament.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I'm pretty sure King of Men is right.

Pixiest there are, but at one time they didn't apply to BLM horses (mustangs), also people do break laws and continue to break laws.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Many Indians, including Hindi, will eat beef. A key thing to remember is that cows are sacred but steers aren't for many Indian Hindi. Plus, there are lots of Muslims and Christians and Sikhs in India, in some regions huge numbers, and they can all eat beef (and do).
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also there were wild mustangs being rounded up for this purpose at one point.
Feral horses (there's no such thing as a wild mustang any more, if there ever was.)are still being rounded up to keep them from starving or dying of thirst. Now the government usually keeps them in holding pens for ever. Because the paperwork to "prove" that you aren't going to sell them to a processing plant, is so onerous and the condition of the horses so poor that adoption programs don't work.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
But arguing some animals are for eating and others are not is just silly IMO.

I still think it is not normal to eat rats.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
Many Indians, including Hindi, will eat beef. A key thing to remember is that cows are sacred but steers aren't for many Indian Hindi. Plus, there are lots of Muslims and Christians and Sikhs in India, in some regions huge numbers, and they can all eat beef (and do).

I was not asserting that stopping beef exports or ranches would in any way be a rational thing for the Indians to do; I was merely pointing out that it might possibly happen, because of the way religious fanatics tend to ignore 'minorities' in their country even when they are in fact majorities.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:

In the Vedas there's a section saying that a king should slaughter cows and serve them to his foreign guests if it is their custom to eat beef. Cows being sacred is more of a cultural thing than a religious thing - cows were extremely critical to agriculture, so killing them for food was seen was seen as a Very Bad Thing. Making it morally bad as well as economically bad made the rule stick better.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm finding it difficult understanding how it is immoral to eat horse meat. After all, if you can ranch 'em, race 'em, and use their hoofs for glue and hide for leather, why can't we use their meat for food? Makes use of all the material. I've watched Mr. Ed, and seen horse racing, and all that jazz, but I don't have any stigma to idolize these animals.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Well, it was Congress. Any chance this will die in the Senate?
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

A wise man once said, "If wishes were horses, we'd all be eating steak."
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
breyerchic04 directed me to this thread (I've been absent here for a while due to a death in the family and also being horribly behind on my work!!). I agree that it potentially walks a fine line between this and banning more meat consumption. My personal feelings on it are that it's not inappropriate to eat horses, as much as I adore them, and I don't think I could ever eat them myself unless I had no other choice. I don't find it immoral to eat them - I don't find it immoral to eat dogs, either.

What I do find immoral is the brutal and inconsiderate way animals are treated while being raised for slaughter and while being slaughtered. I'd so much rather see a bill preventing inhumane slaughter and setting humane laws for raising meat animals (at least enough space for them that they can walk around freely; appropriate foods rather than feeding herbivores processed carcasses; etc.). That way, horses and all other animals would be safe from extreme mistreatment and violent, fearful deaths.

It is possible to find humane-raised meat, but it's expensive. My grocery bills will never be the same again.

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
I still think it is not normal to eat rats.

You know, on a completely visceral level, I agree. But rationally, I kind of wonder why it's okay to eat one rodent (say, rabbit) and not another. Disease associations? Perveived intelligence? Those long, leathery, creepy looking tails?

(Oh, an I've had rabbit. And alligator. Rabbit's not bad, though kind of fatty. Alligator is tough and greasy. Don't recommend it.)

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tænte Shvæster
Member # 9711

- posted      Profile for Tænte Shvæster   Email Tænte Shvæster         Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbits aren't rodents. They are lagomorphs.

Are there any people who eat rats? Is there anyone (besides Porter) who even wants to?

Posts: 17 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
(Rabbits aren't rodents, they're lagomorphs).

That's odd that you found rabbit to be fatty. Every rabbit I've eaten was very lean, so much so that the meat would dry out if care wasn't taken with cooking.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, Tante beat me to it. Great minds think alike, or something.

--Mel

Edit: Wait, that's not Tante. Who are you, and what have you done with our Schvester?

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tænte Shvæster
Member # 9711

- posted      Profile for Tænte Shvæster   Email Tænte Shvæster         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, I'm not being Tante today. I'm Tænte!
Posts: 17 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Are squirrels rodents? Because I know people who have eaten them, mostly out of desperation during the great depression and world war II, partially because my grandmother's rule about hunting was you had to eat what you shot.
Tænte Shvæster
Member # 9711

quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
Are squirrels rodents?

Yup. But that doesn't make it OK to eat rats.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Wererabbits aren't rodents, they're lagothropes.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tænte Shvæster
Member # 9711

Golly, I miss anthrope.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I didn't think that it was, but it proves rodents are at least a bit ok.
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree about alligator, Sterling, I found it very good. I've had it fried and in gumbo.

Also, I'm not sure if this is the same, or even true, but I have been told that I was eating nutria rat before. I was at a family friends house in Houma, Louisiana (about an hour south of NO). She was about a bajillionth generation native to the Acadiana bayous and we were eating gumbo at her house and she said that there was nutria in it. I didn't believe her, so she showed me a nice fresh nutria carcass hanging to dry out back. Now, it is very possible that she was just messing with me, and had the dead rat for other reasons. It is also entirely possible that I ate nutria rat.

Also, even though this will make this post far too long, this thread reminded me of a passage I just finished in Tom Robbin's Another Roadside Attraction. So I will quote it for you:

quote:
John Paul was untroubled by any undue reverence for meat.

"Look," he said, "the world is overrun with animals, great and small, fanged and feathered, all eating one another in happy harmony. Man is the party pooper. He'll eat pig flesh and pretend it's pork. He'll devour a chicken but not a kitten, a turkey but not a Turk. It isn't that he is principled, particularly. In fact, we all gut somebody every day. But it's sneaky, symbolic, unappetizing, ego-supportive, duty to God and country--never with a good pot roast in mind. No cheerful, honest cannibalism. Alas, alas."

And, because this isn't long enough, yet, I will quote another passage that comes in the next paragraph. This one more because I'm curious if it's true, and you might be the people to tell me:

quote:
"The cow became a sacred symbol to the Hindu because it gave milk and chops and hides. It nourished the babies and kept the old folks warm. Because it provided so many good life-supporting things, it was regarded as an embodiment of the Universal Mother, hence holy. Then it occurred to some monk or other, some abstract scholarly kook, as you would say, that gee, folks, since the cow is holy, we maybe shouldn't be eating it and robbing its utter. So now the Hindu has got sacred cows up to here but no more milk and steaks. They starve in plain view of holy herds so big only Hopalong Cassidy could stop them if they took a notion to stampede. The spiritual man's beef against beef is the result of a classic distortion. It's another case of lost origins and inverted values."

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I also don't have a problem with people eating horse or dog or cat. I prefer that they not eat my Oberon, but in theory, I don't see what the difference is either.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"I'm finding it difficult understanding how it is immoral to eat horse meat.."
quote:
horses, which hold an exalted place in American lore as intelligent companions and long-lived workmates, should not risk gruesome death in a slaughterhouse.
Lore also holds that Representatives are neither intelligent nor working...
...so Congressmeat should soon become available as a substitute.

[ September 08, 2006, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
Lore also holds that Representatives are neither intelligent nor working...
...so Congressmeat should soon become available as a substitute.

Now there's a meat that's tough and greasy.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

corrupt and slimey.. I can't imagine congressmeat would taste good at all.
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
I think nutria is quite good, as is alligator, though it is a bit tough. I don't know enough about this case to discuss it in depth, but my opinion is that if someone wants to eat a horse, let them eat a horse. Horses are one of my favorite animals and I would never consider eating one unless I had no other options (same applies to dogs or cats), but if it's ok to eat other animals, including fairly intelligent ones like pigs, why not horses?
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
because i said so, that's why!
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:

A wise man once said, "If wishes were horses, we'd all be eating steak."
Jayne? Is that you?

They occasionally eat rat in some rural parts of China. You can still get it from vendors in Beijing. It has simply become practical because famine is still a very real thing in China and their quisine has adapted to include just about ANYTHING that is edible.

I once ate pig skin, that still had the hairs sticking out of it (I was trying to be open minded). I had goat gaul bladder once as well.

Unless they are endanger of extinction (like Whales) I don't see any reason why horses should get any special status.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

You had Gaul bladder? That's gross, man.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.