FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ever had a TOTALLY innapropriate teacher? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Ever had a TOTALLY innapropriate teacher?
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently, my middle school math teacher/baseball coach/football coach is now in prison for child molestation.

And come to remember it, he did use to change in the same room as us... how freaking creepy. I feel bad for whatever kid it was he went after.

Also, my principal from the same school -- and the math teacher's aunt -- is apparently also under charges of embezzlement from the school. All this while I was playing Pokemon...

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheSeeingHand:
My 8th grade english teacher had something against me. She was so against giving me A's that on one essay I got a B++++. :-\

We didn't get letter grades, we got numerical, as in percentages. It was made quite clear to us that our final grade would consists of assignments and exams weighted as a portion of our final mark, and the average would be rounded to the nearest whole number according to standard 4/5 rounding rules. This was a math class, and walking into the final, I had 100% on everything.

Apparently, I misplaced one decimal point in one questions, so ended up with 399 out of 400. My final average was something like 99.9%.

The math teacher refused to round up, despite the 4/5 rounding rules. His grounds? "No one is perfect." I ended up with 99% as my mark on the report card.

I wonder what he would have done had I scored 100% on that final.

Related note. When my parents saw that report card, they cussed me out for not getting better marks. Seriously. Despite three older siblings who were lucky to ever get scores about an 80%.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Good heavens, quid!
I wonder how much each plus of that B++++++ was worth?

One thing I think is rather silly is the philosophy of no A's in the first quarter. My principal told me I had too many last year. I told her that the students who received the A's had met all the criteria for an A, and therefore deserved an A.

But what would they have left to strive for?

I said, Another A?

Then, she was worried that the classroom grades would not match the state test grades. I pointed out that, as far as I knew, state tests did not include things like handing in work on time, working well with others, and other things which I feel are important to being a "good student." She said, if a student fails a test the first time, they should not be able to get a better grade for the test. I asked if the point was not to learn the material?

Ah, testing. How it rules us! And how it points to all the students needing extra help, so we funnel time and money that way to make our school system look better, while letting the brightest students fend for themselves.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The math teacher refused to round up, despite the 4/5 rounding rules. His grounds? "No one is perfect." I ended up with 99% as my mark on the report card.
In middle school I got letter grades, but in high school I got number averages. Our report cards only went up to 99%, exactly for the same reason your teacher didn't round up. It was ridiculous.

Liz, I have had all too many teachers hand out less-than-deserved grades in the beginning semesters to make themselves or the school look good. I wouldn't even have noticed had my mom not gotten mad at the school every time it happened... it definitely says bad things about some schools' priorities [Frown]

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! I just remembered my high school english teacher showing genuine shock that my parents were sending me to college. She instisted all day that they were going to waste their money. It turns out she was right, but still! Harsh.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.