FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » thou art god!

Author Topic: thou art god!
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished Stranger in a Strange land (Robert Heinlen) and i must say, great book. An all around great sci-fi novel, and a fantastic story and meaning. For those who have a week or so to spare should pick it up at a library and give it a try, and those who have read it, what did you think?
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Grok
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Lobster!
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it a lot, despite some authorial excess and a goodly chunk of outright preaching. But my goal in life is to attain Jubal Harshaw's status, although I'll prolly rough it out with just the one woman around.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Storm: [ROFL] [Laugh]
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have always enjoyed it-- as a story. I don't agree with a lot of the stuff in it, but that's fine, it's a good story anyway.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen at least two "God Groks" bumper stickers around town.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
I do love Heinlein - but dear God, that man writes women like he's never met one.

I grok. Do you grok?

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheDisgruntledPostman:
I just finished Stranger in a Strange land (Robert Heinlen) and i must say, great book. An all around great sci-fi novel, and a fantastic story and meaning. For those who have a week or so to spare should pick it up at a library and give it a try, and those who have read it, what did you think?

AWESOME! I love this book. It really is great sci-fi. Heinlen was the man.
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
ha, yeah, he does undermind the woman status in this book, leaving them to be secrataries and sexual commatities, but other than that, i found the story to be really good, and the whole grokking thing, awsome.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abyss
Member # 3086

- posted      Profile for Abyss   Email Abyss         Edit/Delete Post 
Heinlein was certainly no feminist, but Stranger in a Strange Land definently isn't the book to call him out on. It's filled with strong female characters who generally challenge society rather than conform to it -- and while Jubal has three lovely lady secretaries, they aren't subservient to him and they don't service him sexually. One of them is even a Fair Witness, which is clearly a position requiring an impressive education. Stranger is pretty fair to women.

- Abyss

Posts: 280 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
The book was written in 1961. It's about as feminist as you could get for that time period.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Both the men and women in his novels are kind of two-dimensional, thriller-esque type creatures whoe sole existence often seemed to be living platitudes. That is to say, I wouldn't call his men very well drawn characters, either. [Smile]

I enjoy reading Heinlein, don't get me wrong, but realism was not his strong point.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.