FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What's the silliest thing a teacher's ever tried to tell you? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: What's the silliest thing a teacher's ever tried to tell you?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my teachers said on the first day of school "There's no such thing as a stupid question."

I promptly proved her wrong. [Smile]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
"You don't have the motivation to succeed, and that's not something you can obtain. You will never be successful."
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Teachers who say things like that make me want to vomit, eros. [Mad] I hope you've made a life's mission to prove him/her wrong.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
"I" before "E" except after "C", unless it says "ay" as in "neighbor" or "weigh".

I mean, that's just weird.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Former Science teacher: "When babies are born, their skulls are made out of cartilage since the bone hasn't developed yet. So you can drop a baby on its' head and it would bounce back up because of the cartilage."
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
Teachers who say things like that make me want to vomit, eros. [Mad] I hope you've made a life's mission to prove him/her wrong.

She's over 40, single, a high school math teacher, and unhappy about all of the above.

I'm young, make more money than she does without a degree and love my life.

^_^

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
"You're in this class because your boyfriend is in it."

Um, no, actually. There are these things called "graduation requirements" and I need this class, so . . .

But yeah, she's kind of a sad, lonely, mean, single, over 40 Statistics teacher, and no one likes her. Like, the other teachers hate her and talk about it around students. So I'm ok with it. Also she's on my list of people I would ok with dying. It's very short.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
"I" before "E" except after "C", unless it says "ay" as in "neighbor" or "weigh".

I mean, that's just weird.

Heh.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
"The dress code will be enforced."

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
It takes light eight seconds to reach Earth from the Sun.

Not silly... just wrong.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OSTY
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for OSTY   Email OSTY         Edit/Delete Post 
The best I ever had was my World History teacher pointing to Cuba and telling us how the Japanese flew in there to attack Pearl Harbor. When someone tried to correct him, a student born in Hawaii, he told the class we needed to learn our Geography!
Posts: 224 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
haha

"You just wait, one day you'll write a book that will cause rioting all over east asia, and then you won't be laughing!"

(after googling his name I realized that this wasn't silly - he's actually done that) [Angst]

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Dragon:
haha

"You just wait, one day you'll write a book that will cause rioting all over east asia, and then you won't be laughing!"

(after googling his name I realized that this wasn't silly - he's actually done that) [Angst]

[ROFL] [ROFL]
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a high school teacher who insisted a student could not listen to music while studying and retain the subject matter. She went around the class and made each student repeat that individually ( except those she ended up sending to the office) [Wink]
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One of my teachers said on the first day of school "There's no such thing as a stupid question."

I promptly proved her wrong. [Smile]

Socrates was a girl?!
[Evil]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
7th Grade Science Teacher-- Cholesterol really isn't that bad for you.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
There really aren't stupid questions, just stupid people. [Big Grin] (or, of course, smart people acting intentionally stupid)
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a wide spectrum of strange teacherness. I presently have one that completely did not believe me when I told the class that there was an oil spill off the coast of Lebanon.

Since, apparently, Lebanon has no coastline.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
It takes light eight seconds to reach Earth from the Sun.

Proof that I'm really tired: I had to stare at that for a whole minute before the problem dawned on me. [Blushing]

I had a teacher (possibly more than one) tell me that electrons moved in circular orbits, like planets.

>_<

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by romanylass:
I had a high school teacher who insisted a student could not listen to music while studying and retain the subject matter. She went around the class and made each student repeat that individually ( except those she ended up sending to the office) [Wink]

If she was saying this because someone was listening to headphones in her class, I sympathize with her situation, even though I don't necessarily agree with that statement. Kids who listen to headphones while I'm teaching make me very, very angry.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
One of my professors told us that the Hive Queen in Ender's Game had the power to see the future.

Then he told us that, in fact, he once saw the future too.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Kids who listen to headphones while I'm teaching end up very, very dead.

*whistle*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Kids who listen to headphones while I'm teaching end up very, very dead.

*whistle*

Do the kids who listen to headphones while you're teaching, but later regret their actions end up very, very undead?

'Cause a zombie classroom might be kinda fun.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
"Right here in front of the class admit that you were wrong and I was right!"

PE teacher who insisted that I had dropped my watch on the field and lost it and not that she had lost it when I put it in the basket she had passed around.

She was Scottish so man it was hard to stand up to that temper, but in my memory I could see myself clearly placing the watch in the basket, and its perfectly plausible it bounced out of the small basket and onto the field floor.

The comment was only stupid because she could have talk to me after class or off to the side, rather then try to make me acknowledge that I was wrong in front of the whole class. She was pretty pissed when I didnt back down (but I think she was secretly pleased I was bull headed, I imagine the Scottish can appreciate that trait).

She really enjoyed me being in her classroom in the class I took from her the very next semester. [Big Grin]

[ September 11, 2006, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

rivka, I am very, very tempted to kill said kids. Usually, however, I just embarass them into the ground. If they die of it afterward, then I suppose that would count.

Public Service Announcement: Do not listen to headphones in class when someone is teaching. It is dreadfully, horribly rude. It makes people want to kill you. It makes you-know-who kill a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:

Public Service Announcement: Do not listen to headphones in class when someone is teaching. It is dreadfully, horribly rude. It makes people want to kill you. It makes you-know-who kill a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.

First you people guilt me out of my onanism; now you guilt me out of my study habits?

I will kill you until you die from it.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Megan:
Usually, however, I just embarrass them into the ground. If they die of it afterward, then I suppose that would count.

That was certainly my preferred method. [Big Grin]

(I don't teach anymore. And frustration with students is a big part of why.)

Belle
Member # 2314

I had the most inappropriate history teacher in jr. high - she was literally crazy. She told us once in class about how she was saved, and since she became a Christian she had never sinned and if we would all only convert to her church we could be sinless too.

Sure, we could have complained, but she was so crazy and her tests so easy, she was pretty entertaining so we all just took our A's and went on our merry way.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Erosomniac, study however you like when you're on your own. But listening to headphones in class, when you've got someone in front of you teaching, is extraordinarily disrespectful.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Megan:
Erosomniac, study however you like when you're on your own. But listening to headphones in class, when you've got someone in front of you teaching, is extraordinarily disrespectful.

I was kidding. [Angst]

It pisses me off when people don't seem to be paying attention to what I'm saying, even in a casual context, even with eye contact and verbal responses. I can't even imagine how angry I'd get at someone who put on headphones.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I had the most inappropriate history teacher in jr. high - she was literally crazy. She told us once in class about how she was saved, and since she became a Christian she had never sinned and if we would all only convert to her church we could be sinless too.
That makes her literally crazy in your book?

*gets fitted for a straight jacket*

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinandThomasHobbes
Member # 9158

- posted      Profile for CalvinandThomasHobbes   Email CalvinandThomasHobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
My 3rd grade teacher told us that Indians and Pilgrims had, "parties, and hung out with each other." I didnt learn about manifest destiny until 5+ years later.
Posts: 41 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
That makes her literally crazy in your book?

*gets fitted for a straight jacket*

*Blinks* Do Mormons believe they're sinless once they convert?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a teacher once (fifth grade, I believe) who argued with me for almost an entire class period that Tel Aviv is the capital of Israel. When I informed him that it's Jerusalem, and that I was in fact born there, he reprimanded me for daring to argue with him when obviously he was the more knowledgeable of the two of us. After school that day I complained to my parents (I KNEW I wasn't stupid!!) and my dad flared up and my teacher had to formally apologize to me the next day. I felt kind of bad, but there was a certain satisfaction as well!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Literally was probably the wrong word choice there. The whole sinless thing wasn't the only reason we thought she was crazy, it's just the first one that comes to mind.
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember any really silly things that any teacher might have said to me. But that's just because I don't remember the silly things anyway. It just gets filtered out somehow.

I have however attended class while wearing headphones. It didn't make the teacher happy, but he knew there was no way he could stop me from doing so. Also, it was the in-ear type of speaker, so you'd hardly notice them anyway. Especially since I only wore one of them; the ear most visible to my teacher was empty and with it I was marginally paying attention to whatever he was going on about...
He was continually explaining things to the rest ofthe class that I'd already understood as I'd made the assignments. also, my grades were always good enough, even though I hardly put in any effort.
For clarity I think I have to add that this was a course in my native language, the class was scheduled for the last two hours every friday (between 14:00 and 16:00 hours, roughly). Because I didn't want to skip the lesson every week and having it appear on my attendance sheet, I hung around, but most of the time I didn't learn much besides how to kill time.

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

quote:
It didn't make the teacher happy, but he knew there was no way he could stop me from doing so.
Are there not rules in these classes? Do the teachers not have the authority to forbid headphones? I know in my kids handbook it reads that any headphones or cell phones used in class will be confiscated. The parents can come to the school and redeem the item but it won't be returned to the student.
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know whether there were any explicit rules that forbade the use of headphones. Cellphones weren't an issue at that time, that's for sure.
The teacher just let me be. Since my grades weren't aversely affected by my lack of classroom participation, he must not have seen any reason to stop me.

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

quote:
Since my grades weren't aversely affected by my lack of classroom participation, he must not have seen any reason to stop me.
difference in teaching styles then - had you been in my class your grade would have been aversely affected. [Razz]

I've noticed some teachers at the college level take attendance and are really big on participation and others don't care. Some classes I see people texting each other all class long (annoying, because even if it's silent, it's still distracting to have someone texting right next to you, you can hear the keys clicking at the very least) and some classes people don't dare even pull out their cell phones because the teacher makes a big deal out of it.

Personally, since I plan to teach middle or high school, I'll be pretty strict about it, to the extent that school rules allow me to be. If I can confiscate electronic items, I certainly will and if the parents won't come redeem them by the end of the year I'll donate them to charity.

Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

Yeah well, you have to take into account that I live in the Netherlands. We tend to have a different outlook on rules...
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
Eighth grade science exam question: Name three extinct birds.

Me: Dodo, Passenger Pigeon, Elephant Bird

Teacher: Minus one point. There's no such thing as an "Elephant Bird".

Me: Well, not anymore. They're extinct.

Teacher: Ha, ha. You know what I mean.

Me: They did exist.

Teacher: No, they didn't.

Me: Yes, they did.

Teacher: Well, I've never heard of them.

Me: Then what did you want us to put as the answer?

Teacher: Parrots.

Me: What?!

Teacher: Well, some kinds of parrots are extinct.

Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
difference in teaching styles then - had you been in my class your grade would have been aversely affected.
Why? If it isn't impacting his learning or the learning of the other students, what benefit is there for lowering a student's grade for wearing an earphone?
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

Yes, but only the type of parrots that you buy at petstores... [Smile]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
*Blinks* Do Mormons believe they're sinless once they convert?
No, but that doesn't matter for my point.

Belle said that her teacher was "literally crazy" because of what she believed about sin and her religion. I'm sure I believe things about religion and sin that Belle doesn't agree with. In Belle's eyes, does that make me "crazy" just like her teacher?

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think it's pretty crazy to be bringing her religion into the classroom, especially since it seems she was trying to convert students O_O

Edit to clarify: As to exactly what she believes, doesn't matter to me. Just thought maybe there's some law against what she was doing!

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

Tresopax: thank you for backing me up. I would only listen to music when the teacher was explaining things I already understood. Besides, I was sitting in the front row of the class and nobody was sitting next to me. In this way, none of the other students were adversely affected by my insolence. - Though it might have annoyed them that I could get away with it... [Big Grin]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Personally, I think it's pretty crazy to be bringing her religion into the classroom, especially since it seems she was trying to convert students O_O
I'll agree that it was inappropriate, and possibly foolish, but do you really agree that it's "literally crazy"?

What sort of treatments do you think should be forced upon her to cure her of this condition?

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh... you're speaking to a twenty-something who still acts like a teenager. I use words like literally to mean totally, absolutely, really, so, etc. So when I read them, I don't at first take into effect that they have, well, literal meanings besides being slangy emphasis words.

That said... No, I don't think that that makes her literally crazy, just zealous or even just enthusiastic. Though it sounds like there are other reasons we haven't been told that might otherwise make her so, I'd be curious to hear the whole picture.

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
(In reference to me serving a mission for the Mormon church)

"Why are you wasting your time doing that?"

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
mph- I totally see what you mean. I just thought I understood basic mormon beliefs pretty well. I was going to be fairly surprised if I'd missed something that important.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.