FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » CIA officers buying private insurance against prosecution

Author Topic: CIA officers buying private insurance against prosecution
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Washington Post

Apparently the fears are:
1) prosecution for actions they took in secret prisons.
2) what might come out if 100-or-so detainees get a trial in regular courts (where the methods of interrogation might be questioned thoroughly).
3) a huge pendulum shift in this country away from support for the less obviously legal aspects of our anti-terrorism efforts
4) a lack of will or ability on the part of Justice Dept. to defend them as individuals if they get sued.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me of a story I heard one afternoon on NPR a few months or so ago, about some high-level firefighters purchasing private insurance against prosecution for flawed procedures because they didn't trust the government to stand by them.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
But what happens when a firefighter in the heat of the moment (excuse the pun) has to improvise, disregarding the procedures in favour of instinct? Would he or she then be in danger of getting sued just because the rules weren't followed? There has to be a certain amount of slack, IMO.
"Soldiers on the battlefield cannot always follow commands." (source of the quote evades my memory at this time)

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to derail this thread, so I'll answer quickly: this story was concerning the head-honcho firefighters, the ones who administrate entire efforts against large-scale fires, who might later be sued for negligence or incompetence or something.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.