FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The silliest thing a student's ever said to you (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The silliest thing a student's ever said to you
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
How would you describe it rivka?

Sheol is either:
  • the grave (i.e., death)
  • synonymous with Gehennom, which is approximately the same as the Christian concept of Purgatory (although it's usually inaccurately translated as Hell)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
see, but Rivka, I see it as a reasonably accurate description of Purgatory (coming from a Catholic)

I mean, obviously you have to add in comments about death etc to actually explain what it is, but in terms of the 'feel' of the place...

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
How would you describe it rivka?

Sheol is either:
  • the grave (i.e., death)
  • synonymous with Gehennom, which is approximately the same as the Christian concept of Purgatory (although it's usually inaccurately translated as Hell)

Only Catholics believe in Purgatory as far as I know, most Protestants, Mormons, etc do not believe in a purgatory. I am not sure if Eastern Orthodox or Greek Orthodox believe in it though, its a possibility.

Just FYI

thanks for the clarification.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
quote:
Originally posted by Soara:
talking about special relativity:

student A: so technically, i'm a little bit older than you see me, since it takes time for light to travel from me back to you.
student B: yeah but, you're not THAT much older, right?

That makes perfect sense to me.
The silly thing was what student B said. OF COURSE it's not that much older. [Razz]
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
<explanation of price discrimination in Microeconomics, using senior citizen and student movie discounts as an example>

Student: Isn't that unconstitutional?

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
<explanation of price discrimination in Microeconomics, using senior citizen and student movie discounts as an example>

Student: Isn't that unconstitutional?

[ROFL]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
That reminds me -- during a discussion of the Tiananmen Square protests in 1989 one of my (college!) classmates kept saying that the protestors were having their Constitutional Rights violated.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by TheGrimace:
see, but Rivka, I see it as a reasonably accurate description of Purgatory (coming from a Catholic)

Um, then maybe Purgatory is NOT a good comparison. Gehennom is indeed a Hellish place -- but it's temporary, a way to "burn sins away."
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure there's not a Catholic consensus as to whether there is pain/suffering in Purgatory or not. Most of the reading I've done on the subject suggests that there is some combination of three types of punishment: uncertainty of ultimate salvation, fire (or other physical pain), and separation from the light of God.

In my personal experience, the lay predominant opinion seems to be that it's "eh - not really bad, but not really good."

There are Protestant teachings of a "middle state," but I know little about them except they are explicitly stated not to be a form of purgatory.

So Purgatory might be a good comparison, depending on who you ask. [Smile]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
After watching an old movie:

Teacher: He was still depressed because his daighter had died.
Student: How did his daughter die?
Teacher: I think it was cancer.
Student: They had cancer back then?

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
So Purgatory might be a good comparison, depending on who you ask. [Smile]

*giggle* I know that routine. [Wink]
Mathematician
Member # 9586

- posted      Profile for Mathematician           Edit/Delete Post 
I was in a philosophy of science class, and we were discussing such pseudo-science. Specifically, Jon Edwards (the "crossing over" guy). A student asked how such scenarios work. The teacher explained they do it by vaguaries or audience plants, or whatever.

After his explanation, a girl in the front row raised her hand and asked the teacher, "Do you watch South Park on TV? Because in South Park, the way they explained it was..."

Seriously, who brings up South Park as a valid source of information for explaining things?

Posts: 168 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean? Everything I know about Scientology I learned from South Park!

/kidding

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I feel a Helen... or Ellen...Anyone for Helen or Ellen?
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Um, then maybe Purgatory is NOT a good comparison. Gehennom is indeed a Hellish place -- but it's temporary, a way to "burn sins away."

Sounds more like a Mormon view of Hell, then.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband once got a general chemistry laboratory report on the "morality of solutions".
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
On this morning's quiz: y = x^2 - 1 is a function, because [when graphed] it forms a palabra.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiantReturns
Member # 9349

- posted      Profile for GiantReturns   Email GiantReturns         Edit/Delete Post 
10th grade history class
Teacher: ok in your groups discuss the Industrial revolution and its effects in America and Europe

Girl 1: What's the capitol of Europe?
Girl 2: (laughs) oh my god its France da
Girl 3 to Teacher: can i get a different group?

Posts: 29 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Is the student a Spanish speaker, Ic?
Icarus
Member # 3162

I've already forgotten who it was, but I don't think so.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

In that case, it's even funnier!
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
The capital of Europe is E, duh.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
My brother taught 7th and 8th grade language and reading for two years. In one class he called a girl to the board to do a problem. She started to struggle, so he asked for volunteers. One girl raised her hand, but asked to go to the bathroom. Then, very loudly, a boy jumped up, shouting "I can help her!"

This happened to me: Two or three years ago, we were doing an art project, and a friend of mine couldn't find his scissors. Keep in mind this is grade school. He shouts to the whole class "I'm having a midlife crisis!"

Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:
If he keeps turning his life around, he'll eventually be facing the other direction! [Smile]

Ok, this one happened to me about an hour ago, I kid you not. I was teaching my middle school choir (which I do with a generous dose of flair) and one of the students raised his hand and asked "How much sugar have you had today?" He was completely serious. I just responded "I don't eat sugar. This is how I am all the time!"

I'm still giggling about it. [Smile]

Yay! Another music teacher!!! [Party]

I can't think of any funny or silly things my students have said to me at this point in time. I'll have to come back later.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
How about funny things that your teacher has said to you?
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
"You have homework" I mean, how silly is that? [Wink]
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Student:
What's that bug, you know, with big eyes? And it's black? And it flies around sh** ?

Me: A fly?

Student: Yeah, that's it!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Same student:
I feel really weird.

Me: What's wrong?

Student: I can;t breath through my nose! And I keep coughing. And my head hurts.

Me: You have a cold.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

The same student joined two gangs.

And Xavier? You can search your Snopes articles all you want. We live these stories, and they are true, and they are just the tip of the Stupid Questions from Students Iceberg.

dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
Student:
What's that bug, you know, with big eyes? And it's black? And it flies around sh** ?

Me: A fly?

Student: Yeah, that's it!

That reminds me of a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED above 50, and if its SPEED dropped it would explode, I think it was called, "The Bus that couldn't Slow Down"
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Seriously, who brings up South Park as a valid source of information for explaining things?
My IB World Lit teacher used to. He also once quoted Queen while discussing Madame Bovary.

"Ah, what is it again? Yes, fat-bottomed girls, you make the rockin' world go round."

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hamson:

There is already a thread for that Hamson.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth, you make it sound like I've doubted the accounts in this thread entirely, when in fact I was pointing out that the stories told by one individual, BlackBlade, sound like urban legends.

Especially this one:

quote:
Another time he gave out a test, graded it but didn’t make any marks on the exam. He gave the test back to the students and had them grade their own tests. He took the exams back, and then informed the students that he had already in fact graded the test and he was going to cross examin the scores they had given themselves, any differences would yield a failed grade.

Only one test had no incorrect changes and it was a girl who had an F on the exam. She got an A on the exam and she was the only one.

This sounds like something directly out of a snopes article. You can find very similar stories here:

http://www.snopes.com/college/exam/stolen.asp
http://www.snopes.com/college/exam/flattire.asp
http://www.snopes.com/college/exam/compassion.asp (verified)

It has all the hallmarks of an urban myth.

It supposedly happened to the person's grandfather. These reports are never first hand. How often has a grandparent told you some clever bit about his life which makes for a great story, but likely didn't happen like it is told? My grandparents told me exaggerated or wholly fabricated accounts of different events in their lives. It's what grandparents do [Smile] .

The fact that there was a "lone honest student" and that this student was then given an A, when she originally received an F, is perhaps the thing which triggers my BS detector the most. It's the "perfect justice" myth for being honest, and includes the "perfect justice" myth hallmark that NO OTHER STUDENT did not cheat.

I've been in many classes where students grade their own tests, and I seriously doubt this account because:

1) There are always at least one or two people with perfect grades on these sorts of tests. They would not have changed their answers.

2) Of those who get near perfect grades, very few would change them. I've gotten 95% or higher on many exams, and would never change the grade to a perfect one, as that is beyond stupid.

3) I doubt any teacher is going to completely throw out any sort of knowledge tested in the exam in order to make the entire grade based on morality. A teacher isn't going to give a student an 'A' when they clearly did not know the material.

4) In an opportunity where the honor system is used, there are almost always many people who do not abuse the system.

5) In a teaching environment, there are always students sitting in the front row near the teacher. If these students were tempted to change their answers, they still would not, because the teacher could very easily see them making the change right in front of him!

But hey, I'm not saying it didn't happen. I'm saying I doubt it happened, because it sounds like a hundred other myths I've heard in my life, and it strains my credulity.

Not that whether I believe the account matters any. It isn't like I was issuing some sort of a challenge, I was just expressing an opinion.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a similar urban legend at my University. (Second only to, "Ours is the campus that inspired Animal House" for being found at almost all schools).

The first day of class the philosophy professor passed out an essay test. He said, "There is only one question. Get it right and you get an automatic A and don't have to show up for class again. Get it wrong and you must attend every class, take good notes, and think. Begin.."

You opened the test book and there was just one word:

"Why?"

Over the next hour people turned in their books once they were out of answers. Some left it blank. Others wrote furiously. However, the first student to turn in his test was the only person to get it right.

His answer....

"Why not."

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
Elizabeth, you make it sound like I've doubted the accounts in this thread entirely, when in fact I was pointing out that the stories told by one individual, BlackBlade, sound like urban legends.

Especially this one:

quote:
Another time he gave out a test, graded it but didn’t make any marks on the exam. He gave the test back to the students and had them grade their own tests. He took the exams back, and then informed the students that he had already in fact graded the test and he was going to cross examin the scores they had given themselves, any differences would yield a failed grade.

Only one test had no incorrect changes and it was a girl who had an F on the exam. She got an A on the exam and she was the only one.

This sounds like something directly out of a snopes article. You can find very similar stories here:

http://www.snopes.com/college/exam/stolen.asp
http://www.snopes.com/college/exam/flattire.asp
http://www.snopes.com/college/exam/compassion.asp (verified)

It has all the hallmarks of an urban myth.

It supposedly happened to the person's grandfather. These reports are never first hand. How often has a grandparent told you some clever bit about his life which makes for a great story, but likely didn't happen like it is told? My grandparents told me exaggerated or wholly fabricated accounts of different events in their lives. It's what grandparents do [Smile] .

The fact that there was a "lone honest student" and that this student was then given an A, when she originally received an F, is perhaps the thing which triggers my BS detector the most. It's the "perfect justice" myth for being honest, and includes the "perfect justice" myth hallmark that NO OTHER STUDENT did not cheat.

I've been in many classes where students grade their own tests, and I seriously doubt this account because:

1) There are always at least one or two people with perfect grades on these sorts of tests. They would not have changed their answers.

2) Of those who get near perfect grades, very few would change them. I've gotten 95% or higher on many exams, and would never change the grade to a perfect one, as that is beyond stupid.

3) I doubt any teacher is going to completely throw out any sort of knowledge tested in the exam in order to make the entire grade based on morality. A teacher isn't going to give a student an 'A' when they clearly did not know the material.

4) In an opportunity where the honor system is used, there are almost always many people who do not abuse the system.

5) In a teaching environment, there are always students sitting in the front row near the teacher. If these students were tempted to change their answers, they still would not, because the teacher could very easily see them making the change right in front of him!

But hey, I'm not saying it didn't happen. I'm saying I doubt it happened, because it sounds like a hundred other myths I've heard in my life, and it strains my credulity.

Not that whether I believe the account matters any. It isn't like I was issuing some sort of a challenge, I was just expressing an opinion.

You've only got my word to go off. It was my own father who told me these stories about my grandfather, so that makes it a 2nd hand source, but I am inclined to believe my father when it comes to my grandfather (he is greatly respected by my father).

My grandfather taught SOCIOLOGY which is why he was known to do things like this. He frequently applied sociological principles of rational choice in his classroom exercises. It made him unpopular with the faculty but very popular with the students. Ill ask my parents if either of those things really happened, or if there is a way I can offer more confirmation.

I frequent snopes alot, so I would be loathe to perpetuate yet another urban myth.

Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:
After watching an old movie:

Teacher: He was still depressed because his daighter had died.
Student: How did his daughter die?
Teacher: I think it was cancer.
Student: They had cancer back then?

That might've been me, I remember asking a similar question when I was like 8 [Wink] .
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan:
http://www.snopes.com/college/exam/oneword.asp

[Smile]

Edit...
BlackBlade:
It is a great story, and I'm sure it is a fun one to tell. I still think it is at the very least largely exaggerated. It has probably simply grown through subsequent tellings throughout the years.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Soara:
talking about special relativity:

student A: so technically, i'm a little bit older than you see me, since it takes time for light to travel from me back to you.
student B: yeah but, you're not THAT much older, right?

Lol. I hope to god that wasn't the AP class...
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to doubt your word, there, BlackBlade, but I'm going to have to agree with Xavier on this one - I've heard that story before myself. Probably in Sunday School. [Smile]
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by JennaDean:
Sorry to doubt your word, there, BlackBlade, but I'm going to have to agree with Xavier on this one - I've heard that story before myself. Probably in Sunday School. [Smile]

Its not as if its so miraculous it could not have happened more than once in even the last 50 years. Perhaps my grandfather heard accounts of a teacher who did the grading thing on his exams and let his students dig their own graves and decided to repeat the experiment.

Also stories that are catchy often are perpetuated and find their way to far away destinations. That does not mean ALL stories are false, just most of them have become embellished; possibly beyond all recognition.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Xavier, I was not challenging you, really, just pointing out that, for those of us who have taught for many years, all of these stories are possible.

I also agree with Black Blade that there are many teacher stories that go around, and that teachers sometimes say, hey, I'm going to try that one.

I completely disagree with you on one point. I know many teachers who would have thrown out a grade, or did, if it made an ethical point.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

In the second of the stories, that of the flat tire, why would it be so legendary for a teacher to check the stories of his or her students separately? Our principal does it all the time to try and get stories straight.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

PS I am not trying to start an argument, I swear it!
I have just seen so many crazy things over the years that none of those stories sound too far off.
I have students in class this year who can barely figure out they need to pick up the pencil to start an assignment without being given that specific direction.
And, like Rivka's story about the test on Monday, it happens every day.

"I am going to pass the homework out now, so open your agenda books. Here is the assignment(show paper) This is what you should write in your agenda(point to homework board.)

As I pass the paper around the class, I get

at least two "What is this for?"'s.

Sigh.

These are not challenged kids, they just cannot listen to a direction, or follow it, to save their souls.

TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
one day in 6th grade some of my synapses just wouldn't fire and for about a minute I couldn't remember how to spell "of" I kept thinking ov and uv and knowing those weren't right. when I finally asked my friend I felt rediculously dumb =p
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
Originally posted by Hamson:

There is already a thread for that Hamson.
That thread is more like the most bizzare ideals a teacher has ever tried to impose on you.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

This morning: "Newton also suggested the existence of apples."

[Big Grin]

MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't the student, but his father. He wanted me to change his kid's grade of 48 to a 70 so he could play football and would not understand why I would not take credit for an assignment that he was trying to turn in 4 weeks late and after the grading period was over.
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
In spanish class in 8th grade the teacher said we were going to write a report on a spanish speaking country. One girl raised her hand and asked if she could do Boston.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy
Member # 9384

- posted      Profile for Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy           Edit/Delete Post 
This happened in a history seminar I took in college. Unfortunately, I can't remember the exact context, because I wasn't much of a Simpsons fan at the time:

Teacher: <explains some interpretation of the event we were discussing>
Student: It's like that episode of the Simpsons, right?
Teacher (clearly knowing the episode): Yes, it's exactly like that.
Student: Can I cite that on my paper?
Teacher: Well, The Simpsons is more intellegent than a lot of modern scholarship on this period...

Posts: 87 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

*SNERK*

No.

m^3 ÷ m is NOT just a little numeral three, hanging out by itself above the line!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.