FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Can I just say something?

Author Topic: Can I just say something?
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess Hatrack would call me a lurker, because I read a lot of posts but rarely respond to anything. This is pretty much how I am in real life, say, at a party. Everyone else has many things to say, but I like to sit back and process it all.

I just want to let it be known that I have a hard time forming ideas into words, and without the benefit of actually speaking (tone, immediate clarification of points) my written words don't really come out right.

I am saying this because I feel that I was unfairly attacked in the Classical Music thread. I didn't think this was a hostile community. And I know for a fact that the majority of people here are not hostile. You seem like really awesome people, some that I would love to meet irl someday.

I just want to make it clear that written words are not my strong suit, and I'd like to apologize in advance for any future misunderstandings.

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm the same way, years of typing here has sort of helped, but I'm still awful at articulation. A while back I just thought, darn, if I am ever to get better I just have to type a lot. I just had to get over the idea that people would also be reading what I wrote. It's also helping with my talking too, though I'm still not good at it. But how else are we 'sposed to get our ideas out, eh? [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you were attacked in the Classical Music thread anymore than you were attacking anyone else.

Which is to say, you were attacked a little, and you did attack a little, but no more so than is normal.

Certainly I wouldn't take personal offense to it if I were you, and I wouldn't expect that anyone would take personal offense to you.

Furthermore, it saddens me that you felt the need to post this explanation / apology for yourself. Seems like it kind of takes the backbone out of any further debates you might have here on hatrack.

Which is too bad. Debating on hatrack is fun.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Debating on hatrack is fun.
I completely disagree. Discussing is fun, but debate it tiresome.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

Debate it tiresome? Get some English, dude.

(just kidding)

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm dismayed by the idea that an appology/explanation, or other attempt to smooth over inadvertently ruffled feathers is equal to "taking the backbone out" of the strength of one's arguements.

Dismissal of others feelings might be a body part of debate, but I'd venture it's a few inches south of the backbone.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

I too find myself dismayed at points of view that differ slightly from my own, and would like to hereby hint, carefully, (without actually saying so) that everyone who disagrees with me from this point forward is an ass.

I've said it here in this thread, so I hope you all understand me in advance, and I won't have to say it individually to each of you in the future.

KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

This smiley face will let you know what I think of your post!
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
But it IS personal. It is hard not to take an attack on one's own thoughts and feelings personally, especially in a forum such as this. The whole idea of not typing something you wouldn't say in person doesn't always work either because some people are jerks in person too.

Luet, unfortunately some people here are just trolls. They enjoy the fight and hurting other people's feelings just doesn't matter and even think it's funny. Some of those posters are present in the thread you are referring to. There is no need for you to apologize. But there is also no need for you to go back to a thread that bothered you and continue to post there. I am sorry this has happened to you and I hope you will continue to frequent this board. Most people here are perfectly nice.

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
I think some of you are ignoring the more important part of Luet's post, "... I have a hard time forming ideas into words, and without the benefit of actually speaking (tone, immediate clarification of points) my written words don't really come out right."

Whether true or not, it's a useful and constructive admission. I really don't think the 'apologize in advance' was intended as a perpetual get-out-of-jail-free card. (God forbid -- what if Luet one day wanted to really lambast someone! [Smile] )

To Luet I say: Everyone experiences that, to some extent. It is part of this medium (as you noted). And it can sometimes really be surprising when people don't get your humor or sarcasm or sincerity or whatever.

You also have to recognize that swings both ways -- you were offended by some responses you got, but felt those people misread you. How do you know they are not just as inept as you at expressing nuance, and maybe you are misreading them?

So most of us, most of the time, try to take an inch/give an inch. I sympathize with the fact you find this process difficult.

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I was really hoping to open this thread and find a post from Luet13 that simply said...

Something

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I was really hoping to open this thread to find a post from Luet13 that simply said...

"There was jelly in this cupboard the whole time."

Seriously though, Luet, you're right in your assessment: for the most part, it's not a hostile community (especially for a web forum, jeez!), but everyone has buttons that you can push for negative reactions. I've discovered this any number of times myself (anti-smoker ad thread, anyone? oi.).

With Orincoro, that button is classical music. It's best just to not go there. It's like trying to chew your way through a brick wall in order to get to the peanut butter sandwich on the other side. [Wink]

(No offense, Orincoro. [Wink] )

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, what do you know.

Idiot.

So there.

[Wink]

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Luet They at least responded to your thoughts, meaning that they put a value to them. It could be worse. Sometimes it seems like when I respond, the thread ends. I've even thought of changing my "stage name" to Ender. Your responses are excelent practice in written communication. That particular social grace is endangered in our society. Keep posting.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Artemisia Tridentata:
Luet They at least responded to your thoughts, meaning that they put a value to them. It could be worse. Sometimes it seems like when I respond, the thread ends.

I often feel the same way. Sniff. *tear* Anyone know a good emo band? [Frown]
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"There was jelly in this cupboard the whole time."
*snort*

My fantasy football league is named "What's Jelly?"

And I didn't even start it.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, and on the original subject, don't complain when your post has exactly the objective you intended it to have.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
quote:
Originally posted by Artemisia Tridentata:
Luet They at least responded to your thoughts, meaning that they put a value to them. It could be worse. Sometimes it seems like when I respond, the thread ends.

This happens to me, too. I tell myself it is because I am so concise and answer things so very well that nothing more needs to be said... It's a sign of RESPECT. Yeah, that's it. [Big Grin]
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I wish my lawn was emo
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sometimes it seems like when I respond, the thread ends.
Oh, I'm so bringing back The Last Post thread now. Which one should I pick .... [Evil Laugh]

And Luet .... it's all goooood. I'm constantly in awe of Noemon and Icarus and others, the way they seem to be able to easily say pretty much exactly what they want to say. Me, I think I'm slowly getting better, but it still takes usually at least 3 tries before I'm able to get what I want to say out, and by then the conversation has moved on. I just enjoy being in the company of people who have that skill to express themselves, hoping that somehow someday it will rub off on me.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

quote:
I wish my lawn was emo
Granted! Now your lawn is always depressed, dresses androgynously and may or may not have fallen asleep with jell in it's hair. Oh yeah, and there is no way you will ever get it to turn down that awful whiny music.

... oh wait, wrong thread.

[edit: Gah! The end of the "Fine" thread and the Questionable Content archives are making me do it!]

[edit2: ... make fun of emo that is...]

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I wouldn't have to mow it 'cause it cuts itself. [Razz]

Shoot sorry...time for sensitivity training for me. Perhaps I should move this to the thread you mentioned.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

Bah doom -- ... no no, never mind.

Kidding! Hilarious! :roflmaobijsdfichi:

Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't tell you how many posts I've written that never make it on the page because I know I sound stupid compared to the smarties.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

Awww, just get over it. Look at my posts, obviously I did [Big Grin]
Threadender
Member # 9728

- posted      Profile for Threadender           Edit/Delete Post 
I just thought of a great new screen name.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Launchywiggin:
I can't tell you how many posts I've written that never make it on the page because I know I sound stupid compared to the smarties.

Smarties? Where?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
:roflmaobijsdfichi:

...What now?
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Smarties? Where?
They're not real smarties. They're just M&Ms with thick shells.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
quote:

...What now?
Rolling on the floor laughing my a** off because I just ... uh... just ... hmm... you know, now I'm not sure what it was. [Dont Know]
TL
Member # 8124

Allow me to re-respond to Luet and sort of elaborate. What I'm getting at, first of all, is that I was disappointed that Luet thought he had anything to apologize FOR. I thought his posts in the other thread were great.

The wonderful thing about hatrack is that this is the only community I've found where good people can disagree, even get carried away... But nobody, at least as far as I can tell, actually hates each other, or carries on an agenda against each other. (Except for those threads about Israel... Those can get pretty ugly.)

Flame wars are usually pretty tame, and are about good people disagreeing, rather than personal attacks.

I don't take anything personally on hatrack because I assume that if I cross a line with somebody (which I have done once or twice, sadly) they will forgive me when I apologize and then we can steer back to the discussion and get on with our lives.

Likewise, if someone crosses a line with me, I don't take it personally (for very long), I forgive them quickly, and we all try to move forward.

I hold no grudges at hatrack, and I don't think there are any grudges *against* me here (though I could be wrong) -- because hatrack is one of the only places on the internet that actually feels like a real community. We hatrackers, even though we might disagree sometimes and call each other a snob or a bully or a troll -- At the end of the day we're all still hatrackers. And that kind of means something. I can't do anything other than love my fellow hatrackers, when you get right down to it.

So, no, I don't think Luet should take it personally; and I don't think he should have to apologize to hatrack at large for what he said or did. Which was, basically, making some really excellent points but getting a little too carried away with the sarcasm. Now, maybe apologizing to the individuals in question might be appropriate, I don't know. That's not for me to say.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
(Sorry, I've been resisting doing this all day, it's late, and my willpower is gone.)
quote:
Can I just say something?
NO!!!

BACK IN YER BOX!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Luet13:

I am saying this because I feel that I was unfairly attacked in the Classical Music thread. I didn't think this was a hostile community. And I know for a fact that the majority of people here are not hostile. You seem like really awesome people, some that I would love to meet irl someday.

I just want to make it clear that written words are not my strong suit, and I'd like to apologize in advance for any future misunderstandings.

Luet, I am glad you took my admonishment seriously, because your own post in that thread was simply ridiculous. My response to it felt completely right, it was a very trollish thing for you to post and I am glad you reconsidered it. On that note, I can see that your not a troll since you care enough to be bothered by it, and I want to say that I wasn't attacking YOU, but simply kicking the legs out from under a pretty indefensibly silly post. You post what you want, and if its ridiculous, then people are going to go after the part of it that makes no sense- that post happened to be completely batty. Meh, no hard feelings though. [Wink]
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

quote:
Luet, I am glad you took my admonishment seriously, because your own post in that thread was simply ridiculous. My response to it felt completely right, it was a very trollish thing for you to post and I am glad you reconsidered it. On that note, I can see that your not a troll since you care enough to be bothered by it, and I want to say that I wasn't attacking YOU, but simply kicking the legs out from under a pretty indefensibly silly post.
Oh Jesus.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent post, John Van Pelt. Both tone and content.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by TL:
quote:

Oh Jesus.
You're crossing a line with me. At this point I can't see anything you've posted lately in response to me that wasn't personal and petty, and this is one of them. Much like your last response in the other thread, this one shows that you have absolutely no interest in a good faith discussion, and that you have some sort of agenda now directed at me. Fine. I'm letting you know that I am going to ignore you for a while, and you don't have to apologize for trying to antagonize me, you just won't get anything more out of it from here.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
Luet, I am glad you took my admonishment seriously, because your own post in that thread was simply ridiculous. My response to it felt completely right, it was a very trollish thing for you to post and I am glad you reconsidered it. On that note, I can see that your not a troll since you care enough to be bothered by it, and I want to say that I wasn't attacking YOU, but simply kicking the legs out from under a pretty indefensibly silly post. You post what you want, and if its ridiculous, then people are going to go after the part of it that makes no sense- that post happened to be completely batty. Meh, no hard feelings though. [Wink]

It's like you live in a completely different reality than I do.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
I really appreciate the excellent advice from most of you.

TL: I am she, not a he.

Orincoro: I don't think my post was ridiculous, just worded badly.

I guess making a blanket apology for future comments was pretty silly, but I'm trying to get better at this whole thing. [Wink]

On a completely unrelated note: I'm playing piano for a Gala at US Cellular Field tomorrow night. I am far too excited about this. [Big Grin]

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rappin' Ronnie Reagan:
It's like you live in a completely different reality than I do.

Right there with ya, RRR.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Thirded.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Luet13:

On a completely unrelated note: I'm playing piano for a Gala at US Cellular Field tomorrow night. I am far too excited about this. [Big Grin]

Nice. First time I performed at an SF giants game (only time!) was in highschool with the men's chorus, about 14 members. We got to sing both the American and the Canadian national anthems because the game was against the Expos [Big Grin] It was very cute looking back, because we all got on our letterman jackets and were very school-spirity. Definetly a high-point, good luck!
TL
Member # 8124

quote:
You're crossing a line with me. At this point I can't see anything you've posted lately in response to me that wasn't personal and petty, and this is one of them. Much like your last response in the other thread, this one shows that you have absolutely no interest in a good faith discussion, and that you have some sort of agenda now directed at me. Fine. I'm letting you know that I am going to ignore you for a while, and you don't have to apologize for trying to antagonize me, you just won't get anything more out of it from here.
Okay. This will probably make my hatrack life a good deal less stressful anyway.
TL
Member # 8124

You're wrong, by the way, about the personal/petty stuff.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Fourthed.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
ouch.

I like Ori.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

Me five.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Me Six!

::looks around::

What's this thread all about then guys?

Squish
Member # 9191

- posted      Profile for Squish           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure... at first I thought it was lurkers, but now... (Still don't like that term when refering to me. Makes me feel like a stalker.)

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
quote:

...What now?
Rolling on the floor laughing my a** off because I just ... uh... just ... hmm... you know, now I'm not sure what it was. [Dont Know]
Maybe it was "Rolling on the floor laughing my A off because I just saw dogs flying in costumes holding imps." ^_^
Posts: 168 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.