FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anyone here reading Naomi Novik's 'Temeraire' series?

Author Topic: Anyone here reading Naomi Novik's 'Temeraire' series?
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm halfway through reading His Majesty's Dragon. For the most part I'm enjoying it. The characters are likable, the world-building moves smoothly, and the plot picks just the right points for action.

That said, there are some niggling things bothering me.

1. Putting aside the idea that large, flying, long-lived, sentient dragons exist in this setting, that seems to be the only fantastical element. So...how can dragons speak human languages flawlessly when their mouths and (presumably) vocal cords are decidedly inhuman?

2. Why don't dragons rule this setting, as (with a few exceptions) most of them seem to be powerful as smart enough to do pretty much anything they want? The love for their human partners only goes so far, as a point is made that humans are extremely short-lived compared to dragons.

Are either of these points addressed in this or the subsequent books?

Should I just chalk it up to suspension of disbelief? [Smile]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
What you haven't seen Dragonheart? I totally believed that dragon spoke like Sean Connery.

And I can't believe you didn't start this thread with the movie news related to Temeraire. YOU of all people [Wink] .

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Hee! Well, in my defense, I have not yet finished the first book, thus I'm uncommited to the series.

And, buying the option for a film is still many steps removed from seeing a film greenlit.

Mainly, it means Peter Jackson doesn't have to worry about anyone else buying the rights while the potential film is in development hell. [Wink]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Fine with me, he still has Hobbit action to get into.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't usually read fantasy. Does anyone who's read the books think that this is a good book for someone who doesn't usually read fantasy? I love the Lord of the Rings and years ago I read the original Pern series and liked it. That's about it for me and dragons, but this book has attracted my attention because of all the rave reviews and I've been tempted. Should I give in tot he temptation?
Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

It depends...do you like novels set during a semi-alternate history version of the Regency Period/Napoleonic Wars?

Do you like novels with sentient dragons as major characters?

If so, you may enjoy this. [Smile]

Anshi
Member # 9643

- posted      Profile for Anshi   Email Anshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
1. [cut] So...how can dragons speak human languages flawlessly when their mouths and (presumably) vocal cords are decidedly inhuman?

2. Why don't dragons rule this setting, as (with a few exceptions) most of them seem to be powerful as smart enough to do pretty much anything they want? The love for their human partners only goes so far, as a point is made that humans are extremely short-lived compared to dragons.

Are either of these points addressed in this or the subsequent books?

The physiology of dragon vocal cords is never touched upon, though the idea of dragons learning human speech is. And #2 is, and at the same time, not addressed in the later books. The explanations given did not feel entirely complete to me.

I personally enjoyed the first book because of the setting (an interesting idea of a re-imagined Napoleonic era full of dragons) and the engaging interaction between Will and Temeraire. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the second and third novels.

Posts: 32 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy
Member # 9384

- posted      Profile for Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy           Edit/Delete Post 
I used to know a woman called Naomi Novik...I wonder if she's the same person who wrote these books...
Posts: 87 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
I like this series as well. I recently finished reading all four novels in the series and am waiting for Victory of Eagles.
Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I've read all the ones currently out in paperback. I've enjoyed them, although I consider them along the lines of beach reading - fun, but not especially complex. Good reads though, especially to break up some heavier stuff.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.