FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What--Me Publish? And thanks for the good-times (not a goodbye)

Author Topic: What--Me Publish? And thanks for the good-times (not a goodbye)
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
That's right folks... maybe.

I got my final essay back today from my American Lit proff. "Top Notch" with a recommendation for the University's Prized Writing journal. If published, the essay would be used over the next year in university writing classes, and read by local subscribers and academics.

The essay is on (predictably if you know me) the musical language and harmony/disharmony in American modernist works- specifically James Baldwin's "Sonny's Blues" and Eliot's "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock."

I won't post any of the essay now, I will hold out until it has been considered for publication, for obvious reasons, but I just wanted to gloat now, and also breath a sigh of relief that my summer sessions are over. This may have been the most intense period of study (the last six months) that I have ever experienced in my life. It was exhilerating, and I am better for it. Nights spent up in the 24 hour reading room, the DOV cafe, the music department, playing Viola Da Gamba, Guitar, guitar ensemble, theory and history, up writing all night, the main reading room on campus, the ML section in the library, Common Grounds Cafe, the perfect bookworm.

I would say you could condense my intellectual education over the last three years into a distilate solution and cram it into a month out of the last 6- I have learned alot. Hatrack has been an outlet for some steam, creative energy, a tool for my writing and a good warm up for my inner dialogues when I write for an essay- or whatever. Hopefully this thing will get published, and I'll get a head start on catching up to my sister, who was was published at about the same age, several years ago (she's now in a fellowship for a PHD, or whatever). [Big Grin] I'm comin' for you!

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
That's fabulous, Orincoro! Congratulations!

So was this work done toward your Master's degree-- or are your working toward your PhD? (I heard those disertations can be killers).

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! I hope it is accepted.

Long long ago, I did a paper I enjoyed very much on Prufrock.

I've always been a huge fan of cross-disciplinary study, too. Your topic sounds fascinating.

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! Once its published or whatever, I'd be interested in reading it.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all! I am still an undergrad at the moment. I am extending my studies for an extra year (so two more years) so that I can hopefully study abroad in London. Probably I will apply for a masters program when I graduate but I don't know yet.

I have been greatly encouraged though over the half year, that several of my teachers have read my work and asked me what my plans were for Grad school. This proff. has also invited me to guest host his campus radio show on poetry sometime next quarter, so I am stoked about that too.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.