FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » General relativity tested again: looks good

Author Topic: General relativity tested again: looks good
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a summary link. Basically, some 130,000 measurements of a relatively close twin pulsar system were taken and compared to predictions made using general relativity theory. The results more or less speak for themselves:

quote:
Researchers have now compiled nearly three years worth of observations to make the finest scale test of general relativity yet, and find that its predictions are accurate to at least 99.95 percent.
As an engineer-in-training, that's the kind of error margin I'd round to zero. [Wink]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Although I found interesting an uncited comment that Quantum Electro (Mechanics? Dynamics?) is accurate out to 10-11 decimal places, instead of 3-4 for general relativity.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Although I found interesting an uncited comment that Quantum Electro (Mechanics? Dynamics?) is accurate out to 10-11 decimal places, instead of 3-4 for general relativity.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, presumably they're each accurate when doing calculations about different things. [Wink]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
So, e=mc**2 +/- .05%

Cool.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:

-Bok

I can't imagine how one would determine that since I know of no measurement techniques that are accurate to that many decimal places.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
So, e=mc**2 +/- .05%

Cool.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathematician
Member # 9586

- posted      Profile for Mathematician           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:

-Bok

I can't imagine how one would determine that since I know of no measurement techniques that are accurate to that many decimal places.
Perhaps other people know of measurement techniques which are that accurate? I'm not one of them, though I've heard the same figures for a few particular constants of QED, particularly, spin angular momentum of an electron.
Posts: 168 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. Also the fine structure constant alpha, and I think the electron-to-muon cross-section is prediceted to at least five or six decimal places.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
The currrent value of g, representing the magnetic moment of the electron, is accurate to within 0.76 parts per trillion:
ie easily within 1 part per 1,000,000,000,000.

Gabrielse also led the team comparing charge-to-mass ratios for an antiproton and a proton to an accuracy of 90 parts per trillion:
ie accurate to within 10 decimal places

[ September 18, 2006, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.