FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is there any resistance left in us?

Author Topic: Is there any resistance left in us?
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the first time a public camera got set up in my town. It was a huge controversy. Everyone seemed worried, upset, and wanting to fight public monitoring. I looked around the other day and realized every intersection has a camera on it—no one seems upset.

Our passports have chips in them. Soon most everything we buy will have chips in them so we can identify with a scanner what someone is wearing, throwing away, or possessing.

Have we collectively accepted Big Brother Monitoring? With RF chips, satellite images, monitored calls, FBI backdoor internet taps, and public cameras, does anyone doubt we have arrived (or will inevitably arrive) at the Orwellian Nightmare?

Here is the latest. Big Brother is shouting at you. Cameras are being actively monitored and people are shouting at the public. It is supposed to discourage anti-social behavior. It seems voyeuristic to me.

The article says...
quote:
Most people are so ashamed and embarrassed at being caught they quickly slink off without further trouble.
I hate that wording..."slink." Further down it says,
quote:
It's quite scary to realise that your every move could be monitored
I think I would feel "fear," "upset," and a "sinking sickness in my stomach." It seems this will be our future and technology and laws will whisk us down this path, and collectively we seem to accept this as unavoidable. What do you think?

[ September 18, 2006, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: lem ]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Do I have any resistance in me? I don't know, let me get my ohmmeter.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Even if the government isn't actively attempting to monitor and control us, a half the implementations mentioned above are helpful to capitalism. As such, in this country they are going to be a foregone conclusion in about a decade.

It isn't so much that all of this information wasn't available before, it's that it is becoming easily sharable and readily available to those with unsavory intents.

In the end, I'm not sure what I find more disconcerting: The fact the government knows where I am and who I've talked to, or the fact that Starbucks knows what I bought, where, and how much of it was left when I threw it away. At a location they also know.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
It is getting pretty freaky. Makes me consider moving to a less security-crazed country sometimes.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Traffic cameras aren't violating my civil rights and don't bother me.

Listening surveillance, phone taps, reading my email or reading my Instant Messages, and invading the privacy of my home, those are where I draw the line. Everything else mostly strikes me as an attempt to secure efficiency and safety, without any cost to personal freedom or civil liberties.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I do fear getting caught by the traffic cameras. That's why I always wear my Groucho glasses behind the wheel.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Must We Ask Questions All In Caps To Make Our Points Look Like Important Titles?

Sorry- I absolutely concur- we have lost our minds as a country when we start actively monitering eachother. I don't NEED a stupid reason to hide- I choose to be able to hide anything I want. What is the government's business? The middle won't hold if we keep on this way.

Edit: I point out that the shouting telescreens are going up in England, not here.

I suggest anyone read the author's note at the end of "Farenheit 451," in which Bradbury berates a society which suspends works like his, Orwell's and others' in a glass prism and refuses to READ THEM. You might as well burn all those books now, because every person who supported SHOUTING CAMERAS either didn't read 1984, or read it and completely disregarded it, and so, didn't really read it at all. Maybe you can read that book and disagree- but I don't see how you can't even have a reaction to it, some sort of memory of the caution in that story.

quote:
The Mail on Sunday watched as a cyclist riding through a pedestrian area was ordered to stop.

'Would the young man on the bike please get off and walk as he is riding in a pedestrian area,' came the command.

The surprised youth stopped, and looked about. A look of horror spread across his face as he realised the voice was referring to him.

He dismounted and wheeled his bike through the crowded streets, as instructed.

Sickening. This is the beginning, not the end. How can this be acceptable? How can you look at this and not want to puke with rage at the gall? Just because you CAN DO IT, doesn't mean you should. Good God England.

The truly sick part of it is that the citizens are behind the thing- so claims the mayor.

[ September 18, 2006, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Orincoro ]

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
I do fear getting caught by the traffic cameras. That's why I always wear my Groucho glasses behind the wheel.

Those traffic cameras stink, because they go by the license plate. So if you're borrowing your friends car and get caught by one of those things, they get the ticket. [Mad]
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Hum. Supposing a policeman had walked up to the boy and kindly (or not so kindly) instructed him to "get off the bike, lad, this is a pedestrian area." Would anyone object to this? Why is a camera different?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Must We Ask Questions All In Caps To Make Our Points Look Like Important Titles?
We don't. I just kinda thought that is how titles went. I looked around at some of my favorite news sites and lo-and-behold they don't all cap. I wasn't trying to make it seem important and I have edited it. Thanks for the point.

quote:
Supposing a policeman had walked up to the boy and kindly (or not so kindly) instructed him to "get off the bike, lad, this is a pedestrian area." Would anyone object to this? Why is a camera different?
A policeman has a badge number and is identifiable. A camera is...there is no easy way to ascertain from the public if the camera operator is being inappropriate.

I don't mind traffic cameras, store cameras, or parking lot cameras. That article makes it clear that they intend to expand into the suburbs. Thank goodness this is not in the US yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if we get there.

quote:
And if the city centre scheme proves a success, it will be extended into residential areas.
The anonymity of workers behind cameras tracking the population of anti-social behavior (that is not determined by public input), and the ability to track political and social affiliations both through the Internet and physically through cameras, is very scary in the wrong leader's hands.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't mind so much if it worked both ways, but I do notice that the people that want to monitor these cameras don't appreciate having their own picture snapped.
Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lem:
quote:
We don't. I just kinda thought that is how titles went. I looked around at some of my favorite news sites and lo-and-behold they don't all cap. I wasn't trying to make it seem important and I have edited it. Thanks for the point.

I was just ribbing, it looked a little strange is all [Big Grin]

NOW CUT OUT THAT ANTI-SOCIAL BEHAVIOR YOU WITH THE THREE LETTERS IN YOUR NAME... YES! YOU THERE! BE ASHAMED!!

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by andi330:
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:

Those traffic cameras stink, because they go by the license plate. So if you're borrowing your friends car and get caught by one of those things, they get the ticket. [Mad]
There are sprays for license plates aka tags which greatly increase their glare, making them unphotographable, if that's a word.
The sprays are illegal in some states, but I bet will become more popular as camera-based tickets become more common. I don't think you can tell if a tag has been sprayed by the naked eye, so even if they are illegal in your state prosecution seems unlikely.

Countermeasures, people! Whatever government springs on us, there are usually countermeasures that help the people foil government plots.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.