FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New Tolkien Story

Author Topic: New Tolkien Story
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently Christopher Tolkien has completed one of his father's unfinished works called "Children of Hurin".

article

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
(geek spoilers below)

Who were Hurin's Children?

Wasn't Hurin's son Turin? Later named Turin Turambar, or some such. And he had a daughter whose name escapes me. Both of them died before he was released by Morgoth. But I thought the story of Turin was already in the Silmarillion.

Edit to add: Wasn't all of Turin's story covered between the Lost Tales and the Sil?

[ September 18, 2006, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
I quickly skimmed the article, and I believe that it mentions the inclusion of parts of the story in other works.

Christopher Tolkien seems to have elaborated mightily on all of this, and transormed it into more epic form. I could see the whole thing having much more depth than it did in any of The Silmarillion or Unfinished Tales which are the two most in depth versions I've seen.

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I don't know as much about Hurin's daughters, but the story of Turin is very moving, and epic.

I think a movie about Turin, well it's almost have to be a trilogy of it's own, would be stunning if done correctly.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to see the "Tale of Beren and Luthien" done as a short film.

And "The Voyage of Eärendil" of course. [Wink]

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Earendil18:
I'd love to see the "Tale of Beren and Luthien" done as a short film.

And "The Voyage of Eärendil" of course. [Wink]

Agreed, but there'd be so much backstory that it wouldn't really be able to stand alone. Still, I'd definitely love to see the Silmarillion make it in movie form somehow. Probably would be a lot harder than even the Lord of the Rings to get right, though.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

It'd be impossible.

They'd have either do it as a television show, and I think Turin's story has enough drama, surprise, and shock value to really work, or as a long series of movies like the ten Star Trek movies.

There's too much backstory to make it into a trilogy, not the ENTIRE Sil. They'd eiether need a dozen trilogies, or a tv show, or a long, long mini-series, but I don't think a mini-series would do it justice.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
This is so awesome!!!
Go Chris Tolkien!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bet Christopher Tolkein could get new stories out a lot faster if he had some help from Kevin J. Anderson.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Or even better, if he still employed Guy Gavriel Kay.

Perhaps then his "writing" would be readable.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
*shuns Noemon*
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
It'd be impossible.

They'd have either do it as a television show, and I think Turin's story has enough drama, surprise, and shock value to really work, or as a long series of movies like the ten Star Trek movies.

There's too much backstory to make it into a trilogy, not the ENTIRE Sil. They'd eiether need a dozen trilogies, or a tv show, or a long, long mini-series, but I don't think a mini-series would do it justice.

I don't know why, but I always imagine the Sil being brought to life with moving paintings, a narrator, and a moving score. It wouldn't have to go from point A-B with long stretches of B-O-R-I-N-G in between. It could be, quite simply, a collection of stories that lasted maybe 15 minutes, which you accessed through the main menu. Each would have it's own arc.

Too bad the first part wouldn't work. [Wink] Maybe use live action instead...

And Noemon, Kevin J Anderson and I had some good times but if he came anywhere near Tolkien's work I'd be the first to abduct him to a remote island.

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmm... Silmarillion movie... *drools*
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
In case it wasn't obvious, I'm not a big fan of Kevin J. Anderson. The books that he and Brian Herbert have collaborated on that I've read (ie the first two Dune prequals) were, in my opinion, horrible.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Hear hear Noemon.
Earendil18
Member # 3180

It wasn't obvious Noemon [Wink] but thanks, that clarifies things.
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish that Christopher Tolkien would open up the world of Middle Eart to other writers to write about, similar to the way that the Foundation world has been opened to various writers. There are so many briefly sketched stories that could be fleshed out. One that comes immediately to mind is the invasion of Gondor by the Wainriders. Or the capture of the last king before Aragorn by the Witch-King. Or any number of others.
I saw a letter from Tolkien in the introduction to a book about him (JRRT), unfortunately can't remember the title, was browsing in a book sore a couple of years ago, where he actually says that he hoped that other writers would find fertile ground to visit and write stories about.
Christopher's jealous guardianship of the whole Middle earth milieu has always seemed to me to be a bit counter-productive.

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The Children of Hurin will make an excellent book. It's one of Tolkien's best, and almost certainly the most depressing.

*******SPOILERS************

It's got swords, sorcery, a warning from a god heeded too late, hubris, incest, raging tempers, damsels in distress, a talking magic sword, a malevolent curse by a powerful enemy, children being punished for the deeds of their father, a repentant Elven king, guerrilla warfare.

Plus a DRAGON!

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.