FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » (Probably stupid) Medical Question

Author Topic: (Probably stupid) Medical Question
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
I know, I know... medical questions... go see a doctor. The thing is, I'm not sick nor am I really worried about this. I'm mostly just curious.

For years, I have frequently had white spots coming from my tonsils. Usually they develop, linger for a day or two and then fall out. They are typically small and kind of crumble when they come out. They rarely hurt and I don't really think much about them. This happens maybe once a week. Though many people look at me like I'm nuts when I tell them about this I know of at least one other person who has experienced something similar so I never thought it was totally odd.

The last couple of weeks, though, the chunks have been coming far more frequently, like, probably one a day has fallen out. Sometimes my tonsils hurt a little, especially when I wake up in the morning. Also, when the stuff comes out, lately there has also been some oozing, like a fluid also coming out of the hole in my tonsil.

I have tried to find any reference to this phenomena on the internet and can't seem to find anything. At the moment, I am not terribly bothered by this, but I was just wondering if someone out there could tell me what's going on and if I should for any reason be concerned.

Thanks!

Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Tonsil stones, perhaps?
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, tonsil stones. I get 'em, too. They're hella gross. If you have a fever or any other unusual symptoms, their flare-ups could be a sign of other problems, but my doc said that they're usually caused by eating foods that irritate your throat (spicy, lactosey, whatever irritates you personally). Since you have a little bit of noticeable oozing and some minor pain, it might be good to have a doc check you out, but they'll probably end up telling you that you have some kind of low-grade throat infection and give you some antibiotics that you probably won't even need to fight it off.

Are your lymph glands in your throat or armpits a little swollen and tender? That is a sign that you're fighting an infection somewhere in the head/neck region.

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info. I would never have thought to search for tonsil stones which is why I never managed to find anything about them.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

Gotta love the folks at Hatrack.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Is THAT what they're called?

Sheesh, I've had those things my whole life, and I've never bothered to wonder what they were.

Good to know!

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to get them a lot. Never had a clue what they were and then was dating someone who got them and we couldn't figure out what they were called. Hatrack is so awesome, who knew you could learn great stuff like this on a general forum.

Awesome!

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
from xnera's link
quote:
Microscopic studies of these tonsilloliths have shown them to contain a combination of food particles, bacteria, oral debris, and white blood cells in a concentrically laminated pattern -- rather like a pearl.
Cool! You are making people pearls! [Laugh]
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
How interesting! I've never heard of these before!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have one comment: eeeeew.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
Cool! You are making people pearls! [Laugh]

eeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww is right! [Smile]
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that if I say this I may be struck down with some pustule or rotting illness of some kind - but that's pretty gross.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Glad I could help!

I just heard about tonsil stones earlier this year. I don't get them, or if I do, they're very small. So how did I find out about them? From a TMI community on LiveJournal, where someone had posted pictures of his tonsil stones. EWWWW! is right. [Big Grin] But I also thought it was fascinating, once I heard what they were. The body is amazing, isn't it? [Cool]

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.