FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New Lows...

Author Topic: New Lows...
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Somewhere, people were talking about the ads they were getting lately. I just saw one that really made me wonder how lazy we're all becoming - it was for free lesson plans!!! I'm not a teacher but if I were I feel like at least 1/4 of the joy would come from creating a plan for the kids to learn from for the year, seeing how it all worked out throughout the year and making it better for the next group!! Wow... sort of sad in my eyes that there's a website for lesson plans...
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
As a homeschooling mother on a tight budget, I appreciate any free or low cost resource I can glean ideas from. I'm doing the best I can for my kids, but sometimes I don't have the time or energy to come up with something on my own.

Also, I'm currently teaching them (and myself) Spanish. Since I don't know Spanish, I haven't the foggiest idea how to teach it to them...so I bought a prepackaged deal, designed for their grade levels, which includes lesson plans, reproducible worksheets, vocabulary glossary, and such. We're doing very well on it, and have learned the colors and numbers (0-20) in 6 days.

Prepackaged lesson plans are not necessarily a bad thing, especially for someone like me who won't be teaching the same thing next year and won't be "making it better" for any groups.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Good point... I hadn't thought about just going to the site to get ideas. As a public + private schooled kid, I hadn't even considered the view of a home schooling parent/teacher visiting the site only for ideas - shortsighted on my part. Sorry about that.
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
No offense taken. [Smile]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Somewhere, people were talking about the ads they were getting lately.
I think the one for the cheater website is much worse.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
When I first started teaching some of those resources were invaluable. As a teacher, I *love* getting ideas from lesson plan websites. Sometimes, I'm just not sure how to make a topic more interesting. I rarely use the actual lesson plan that I find online, but it's nice to have free resources considering that my budget for an entire school year is $50.

I don't know if you realize how much work goes into creating a quality lesson (not the, here's a worksheet, fill it out type). It's nice to have teachers who are willing to share their experience.I share lesson plan ideas in real life as well as online. I don't think that sharing successful ideas makes teachers lazy, but rather it shows that we are a collaborative society who want to help one another succeed.

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not homeschooling, but my girls have different needs. Amanda needs help staying on focus, and Cayla needs help finding something to do when she finishes assignments early and has nothing to do in class. I spoke with her math teacher and suggested I send extra stuff for her to do - the teacher agreed.

I just found something at http://www.lessonplanspage.com/ that Cayla thought would be interesting: Area Code Math.

So, I have this thread to thank for reminding me about this site that I'm getting emails from (but haven't been checking that particular email address). [Wink]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
As a high school student I had to develop a lesson plan for a first grade class for two days, then execute them. I really hadn't had any classes on curriculum or education at that point, so the internet was the most amazing thing I had. I ended up reading them a book about eggs, and having them compare a blown out brown chicken egg to an ostrich egg.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.