FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Land Shark! Good news, and bad news, mateys. . .

Author Topic: Land Shark! Good news, and bad news, mateys. . .
Mad Cap'n Morbo
Member # 5635

- posted      Profile for Mad Cap'n Morbo   Email Mad Cap'n Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
The good news, for old-school SNL fans:

quote:
Treasure trove of new marine species found
Variety of 'walking' shark among them; discoverers warn of threats
MSNBC Updated: 1:17 p.m. ET Sept 18, 2006
Dozens of fish, shrimp and coral species, including two new types of a shark that walks on its fins, have been discovered in waters off New Guinea in the South Pacific, conservationists announced Monday.
The researchers described the area as “Earth's richest seascape” and “the most biodiverse marine area on the planet.”

and the bad news [Frown] [Grumble] [Wall Bash] :
quote:
But they also warned that it faces threats such as fishing with dynamite and cyanide, commercial fishing and degraded water quality from mining and logging in Papua province, a section of New Guinea governed by Indonesia.
So. . . we're fishing ““Earth's richest seascape", "the most biodiverse marine area on the planet” with dynamite and cyanide?!? [Dont Know]

And people wonder why I'm a curmudgeonly misanthrope. I mean, a pirate. [Cry]

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14834763/

Posts: 11 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yarr, I always be destroyin' the beautiful things first. That way I'm not as ugly by comparison, my eyepatch notwithstandin'.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
Candy gram.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
'Boo' fishing with dynamite and cyanide.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.