FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Jesus Camp (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Jesus Camp
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
If you can't make fun of crazy people, who can you make fun of? [Wink] [Razz]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
If you can't make fun of crazy people, who can you make fun of? [Wink] [Razz]

I find normal people are not lacking in humorous potential.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I love this movie and it is totally comedy to me.

I just breezed to the part where we get to watch (if you'll pardon my french) haggard's undeniably shit-eating grin.

He's all waxing off on how 'oh whew thank god we got all this moral high ground what a great day to be us.'

Can't make this stuff up, man.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
I love this movie and it is totally comedy to me.

I just breezed to the part where we get to watch (if you'll pardon my french) haggard's undeniably shit-eating grin.

He's all waxing off on how 'oh whew thank god we got all this moral high ground what a great day to be us.'

Can't make this stuff up, man.

The prosecution rests.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I saw Samprimary's post as similar to morons that I hear in Utah try to make fun of Muslims by imitating how Arabic sounds to their ears.
I have seen people speak in tongues and have profound experiences and I find it astounding and inspiring in many ways! I have watched it across cultures and I have seen their approximations in American Indian religious ceremonies and the quiet, meditative forms inside Hindu temples and quite alien versions of it inside the ceremonies of obscure neo-pagan cults. There's plenty of examples of the phenomenon that I have watched with full respect; certainly, I would not diss the act in and of itself.

But I'll poke fun at that part of the movie as easily as I'll poke fun at the histrionics of vintage mid-80's televangelists or the infuriation of Tom Cruise at the galactic, religious evil of Psychiatry. It is really bizarre to me and I see humor in it and I am really a man who will find humor in everything I don't abhor. As far as I'm concerned, the whole damned world is silly and I don't think this detracts from how inspiring it is.

if it still makes me a moron then at least I'll go full hog and also make fun of her powerpoint presentation. Who'd'a thunk that the gospel of God could benefit so well from overuse of the blood text effect?

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
The prosecution rests.
not so fast, miles edgeworth!

You totally can. not. make. this. up. It's a scenario that is often considered too bizarre and contrived when it's used in fiction.

Jesus Camp is released. In it, Haggard preaches the anti-gay anti-secular shpiel and rags on that poor kid. Not too long afterwards, he's complaining that the movie is selectively cut to make him look like he's being a jerk, because he certainly looks like he's being a jerk. Associates of his even start talking 'boycott' to the movie, despite the fact that it really didn't pull any punches in its presentation. Not too long after that, it is revealed to the world that he'd been having secret gay methamphetamine-fueled sexual romps with a prostitute. It is a poignant addendum to his presence in the movie. Haggard is rendered into a parable.

Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Far from me to rub you the wrong way for the sake of doing so. Religion has plenty of material worth joking about. You are mistaken if you thought I felt religion was a sort of "no man's land" for humor.

I am not saying that that genre of humor is wrong across the board, I thought that PARTICULAR instance was mean spirited. But hey that's a weakness with internet communication, we have to use graemlins to clue others into our tone of voice.

I have no particularly ill feelings for Samprimary either now or in the past. I am going into dangerous territory now explaining the specifics of my displeasure.

I felt the post was moderately silly (but even then I felt it was wrong to laugh) but when he broke into tongues it passed a threshold for me into "mean" territory.

As down as I look on speaking in meaningless tongues and altered voices the people who engage in the activity or may even witness it believe a very real communique is being given.

Even those who exorcise "demons" out of people or EVEN appliances believe that they are purifying an object of evil influences.

There's a difference between presenting a scenario where religion plays a humorous dynamic, "A Mormon and a Muslim find themselves in a situation where the only food is bacon and the only drink is coffee, what happens?"

I saw Samprimary's post as similar to morons that I hear in Utah try to make fun of Muslims by imitating how Arabic sounds to their ears.

But we already had a thread on Rosie O'Donnell's little Chinese quip.

Black Blade, I truly appreciate you taking the time to explain your thinking and feelings. To me the post did not feel mean, it felt silly. But now that you've explained it, I understand why you feel that it was mean. Thank you for the clarification.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Samprimary: Sorry the prosecution has already rested [Razz]

That aside, we will simply have to disagree. Ill take you at your word and accept your, "Nothing in the world is safe from a comedic jab." (My words)

And now having acknowledged it Ill say that I disagree with it. While I really do appreciate you trying to clarify your motives and intent, I still think your comment was unfunny and crafted with unkind intent.

Perhaps in the crazy Christan al-qaeda animal farm camp they do crazy things like speak in tongues, roll and retch on the floor and talk about suicide bombing missions they all wish they could participate in.

But there are good people, honest people who take tongues seriously, even "shaking". I think you betray your own self described reverence for it by your presentation of it.

I suppose my biggest issue is that it seems you are making fun of tongues across the board rather then a misapplication of it in an excessive situation.

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Samprimary, I thought your post was amusing and struck a relatively light-hearted tone that was perfectly appropriate for the material.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
I chuckled. I have an addiction to satire though.

I keep thinking about writing a post about this, but I never know where to start. Maybe the rampantly obese pastor loudly complaining that many Christians are too "fat and lazy" to fast appropriately?

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.