FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Coup de état in Thailand?

Author Topic: Coup de état in Thailand?
Rake
Member # 9195

- posted      Profile for Rake   Email Rake         Edit/Delete Post 
http://edition.cnn.com/ASIA/

Might interest someone at least.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, crap. I have a hard time believing that there'd be another coup in Thailand before King Bhumibol dies. I wonder if he has? Thanks for linking to this, Rake--I'm going to be paying close attention to this as the story unfolds.

[ September 19, 2006, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] Woah. I was just in Bangkok two months ago! That would have been freaky seeing tanks on the streets. I had no idea they were having political trouble. The king of Thailand is extremely loved, and is the longest reigning king in the world right now. I don't know anything about this prime minister guy, though.
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Looks like the Bangkok Post's site is down.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

The king is loved, to a degree that is kind of hard for a westerner to wrap their mind around. This won't be a coup to force him to step down.

Thaksin, the PM, has been embroiled in scandal for quite a while now. Here is a little background on him.

hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the background, Noemon. I'm always a little uninformed in political matters. [Blushing]
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

No problem. Thai politics can be dizzyingly byzantine--I don't pretend to have a thorough grasp of it.
Rake
Member # 9195

might want to check this, for whats it's worth

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Tanks_surround_government_buildings_in_Bangkok

Posts: 25 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rake
Member # 9195

look at the sources to
Noemon
Member # 1115

Thanks for the link, Rake--looks like it'll be a good central point to go to in following this as it develops. The BBC News article (which is also linked to on that wikipage, I see) on the story is starting to flesh out just a bit, although it still doesn't have much more information than was in the original link.
Noemon
Member # 1115

The BBC News article is continuing to flesh out, just FYI.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Been keeping up with this, its very interesting.

Still trying to figure out if the Prime Minister started elections 3 years early as a way to demonstrate fairness, or as a way to try and win relection rather then waiting 3 years when his popularity even lower.

I'm going to stick with this story and follow it to its conclusion

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap.

Is this as big a deal as I think it is?

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
An analyst on NPR is linking this to the PM's recent business dealings which netted him almost $2 billion tax free. The PM is well liked in some sections of the country because he found ways to provide medical care and invest in villages. But in the power-center in Bangkok he is widely viewed as corrupt.

The analyst said the timing of the coup in advance of the elections is because there was fear that he WOULD get re-elected.

Supposedly, at present, the king's official reaction has been "coup? what coup?"

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
The Prime Minister needed to be removed from power. This was not the way to do it.

We can only hope that King Bhumibol will keep order.

The good news is that the King, a very wise man, has enormous power and even greater surport and any showdown would end in his favor. The bad news is that the King is Seventy-nine.

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
The king is in bed with the coup leader. That's how/why it's happening. They're good friends.
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
Just because the coup leaders are claiming that it's in the King's name, doesn't mean that it is.

I rather doubt that it is in the King's name. It's just not how he does things. He has never supported a coup before. Even if he were, he would be on national television announcing it.

If the King really felt that action had to be taken by him, he would call in Thaksin on national TV and politely, regally, tear him a new one.

Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd guess the King chooses not to for the sake of avoiding civil war. If half the troops who profess loyalty the King really do, and the other half don't, then his country gets torn apart.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

The Bangkok Post's site is back up. Here is their ongoing timeline of new developments in the coup.

Here is the BBC News' profile of the coup's leader, Sonthi Boonyaratglin.

tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
I take back my statement. Looks like the King does support it. Fascinating.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:
Holy crap.

Is this as big a deal as I think it is?

It has happened quite a few times since WW2, but ANY Cue is a big deal to be honest.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Snookers cues aren't that big a deal.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by jebus202:
Snookers cues aren't that big a deal.

gah! typed too fast "coup"
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Russell Miles emailed the BBC News website to say there were troops "dressed in Swat-style gear strolling around" near Government House, and "a tense, but fairly controlled atmosphere".

He said: "We saw a group of blokes bundling a cameraman and another chap into a van. We are taking photos, but not out in the open."

Gee, I hope somebody in Thailand doesn't read this and say to themselves, 'Russell Miles has been taking unauthorized photographs. Somebody get me the address of Russell Miles, immediately!'

Just sayin'

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
The King's comments echo those of Christian X.

Whether or not he is "close" to the coup leader, he had as little choice as Christian.

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.