FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Was Firefly really all that great?

Author Topic: Was Firefly really all that great?
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just thinking over the level of nerddom and obsession connected to a show of which there's only fourteen episodes and one movie. And now I just gotta wonder: was it really good enough to merit all of this love, or is it love based on what we see as squandered potential?

My answer:

Definitely. Even if we only had a little, almost every episode was excellent, and towards the end they were pure gold. And now I am free to plunge back into my nerdiness and give you two songs inspired by Firefly and created by the Bedlam Bards.

The Ballad of Joss

Big Damn Trilogy

While we were waiting in line to see Summer Glau (River) and Alan Tudyk (Wash) at DragonCon, we were approached by two large, bearded men with guitars who promptly performed these songs. It was fantastic. [Smile]

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I just introduced my roomate to Firefly. I don't think he truelly apreciates it, as he always skips the theme song, but he watched four in a row yesterday, so I guess you could say I converted him. [Smile]
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to watch DVDs while I draw... more for the background noise than actually watching the movie... There's nothing like watching Kill Bill while drawing a comic that's mostly about love and friendship...

But I can't watch Firefly while I draw... I end up putting my drawing down and just watching Firefly... which is great!... but I don't get anything done!

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Someday I hope for more. When Joss finishes WonderWoman, and whatever else he does, I hope he comes back home. [Smile]
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
No shows or movies in the works, but there will be another Serenity comic book miniseries coming out next year.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I skip the theme song, so does my brother, so does my wife. My other brother doesnt as far as I know, getting three other people to join the party seems like a good start [Wink]

I saw the episodes on the Sci-Fi Channel just two days ago. I left my TV on because they were playing multiple episodes, I wanted my viewership to register [Big Grin] don't break my fantasy and tell me that doesnt work!

Now if only the Sci Fi channel would buy the broadcasting rights and start making new episodes!

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the themesong on my mp3 player. I don't skip it.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Try Michelle Dockrey's "Mal's Song," a beautiful ballad that uses the theme song as a chorus.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I wake up to the theme song. I downloaded it and then burned it to a CD and wake up to that CD. I also have it set on the alarm for my computer .... and I just had a brilliant idea ... I wonder if I can set it as the start-up sound for my computer? Mwhahaha.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
It would seem that the internet has decided that appreciation for Firefly and homosexuality are linked, given the ad at the bottom of the page.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Noemon, the ad at the bottom for me is for message boards.

Oh and Chris, that is a really good song.

Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a bunch of my friends + a couple of freshman hanging out in my room last night and we were watching Firefly. By the second episode we were all singing a long with the theme song at the top of our lungs . [Big Grin]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

quote:
It would seem that the internet has decided that appreciation for Firefly and homosexuality are linked, given the ad at the bottom of the page.
You're not sly, are ya?
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Can the advertisement be altered? Lets see!

World of Warcraft!

College Term Papers!

Broken Furniture!

Old friends from High School!

now lets see what happens!

edit: NO GOOD!

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
It's plain awesome. That's all there is to it.

If loving Firefly makes me gay, well pass the sexy men.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched Bushwacked and Shindig again with some friends the other night. I need to watch the whole thing through in order again. I think I'll do that once I finish rewatching the seventh season of Buffy.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Misleading title! [Grumble] [Mad]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

*gets out a camera to film MC and the sexy men*
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

Yeah! I don't post much but I really worked myself into a frenzy so I could come in here and defend the show.

Now I feel so empty, and my chances with Kaylee are nonexistant now that Simon finally wised up.

Woe, welcome woe, to me.

Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

I'm the gay man in love with Kaylee . . .
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
No kidding, rivka! I was all ready to argue. Oh, well, at least I don't need to try to make any converts.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

I wasn't even going to argue. I was just gonna pop in, state loudly and clearly that YES Firefly was all that great, and leave, resting assured that I was right and that no argument could be brought forth against such resounding rightness.
Joldo
Member # 6991

It's true, it's true, it's true . . .
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*sings the Tubby the Tuba song*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be the one:

Well, um, I think it's only alright. I find it more entertaining than excellent - which is cool, no doubts about that. I just... don't really get into it. [Dont Know]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
No shows or movies in the works, but there will be another Serenity comic book miniseries coming out next year.

Doesn't mean I can't dream.

There's plenty of time. I still hope PJ will do The Hobbit, even though it's all just rumors and hearsay, and he's set to do other stuff.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

That's how I feel. Sheesh, where's the fight?

We should rename the forum: Books, Films, Food, Culture and Firefly.

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:
I'll be the one:

Well, um, I think it's only alright. I find it more entertaining than excellent - which is cool, no doubts about that. I just... don't really get into it. [Dont Know]

Commence ostrazition!!!

(wow, is ostrazition a word? Looks kinda cool anyways. I almost did ostrazization 'cause that's really fun to say).

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't make me ostracize you for the incorrect spelling. [No No]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

Let us now turn Carrie into an ostrich.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Ducks head into sand and waits.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Ostrich eggs, when hard-boiled for what seems like an eternity, actually taste pretty good.

Too bad ostriches themselves can't use a stove.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
The series had some dud moments but it was fun and interesting and original and entertaining. What more can you ask for?
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.