FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Who here can grow a beard? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Who here can grow a beard?
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't grow a beard because I can't stand the itching. The longest I've been able to go without shaving is, I think, about two weeks.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, actually, I also had problems with too much sweat, causing my face to itch. That's another reason why I'm not going for a full beard anymore. Neither the goatee nor the chinstrap have caused me any problems though.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
I have no experience in kissing someone with an actual beard. What does it feel like?

Nobody complained. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have a killer beard. Literally, it killed somebody. No, ok, no it didn't. But it was pretty kickin. About down to my belly button, and I'm over 6', so it was pretty long. I had hair down to the middle of my back too. Man, I used to be hot. Now I'm a huge square with a sidepart and no facial hair. One day I will rejoin the mountainman look. It was a goody. Started growing it at about freshman year of highschool, but it didn't get full until sophmore year or so.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have no experience in kissing someone with an actual beard. What does it feel like?

I imagine it varies depending on length, texture, etc. But I'd say you don't notice it much, except it kinda tickles.

Stubble does NOT tickle.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Take comfort, young fellows: it's common for beards to keep filling in. Technically I think they never stop filling in some, but if you can't grow one by 25, give up.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend's stubble (since he is not allowed to grow a beard *cracks whip*) is more than one color. I think that's pretty common. It's part light brown and part blonde. He doesn't grow hair in these two little parts just under the corners of his lips. It's cute.

He also can only go a day without shaving before I tell him he's like a cactus.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been years since I've kissed a girl while I didn't have a beard. Never really gotten any feedback on whether they liked or disliked the beard.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Launchywiggin said:

quote:
Shaving costs so much freaking money. 4 Mach 3 blades are like 8 bucks! I bought an electric, but they don't work as well, and you eventually have to replace the blades for another 20 bucks after a year.

Now, if you were an old fart like me, who watched the original and live airings of the first SNLs, you wouldn't be buying those. [Smile]

Making sure my memory was correct on this point, I found the following blog entry:

because you'll believe anything...

quote:
Back in 1975, the very first show of NBC’s Saturday Night Live ran a commercial poking fun at the two-blade razors that were then being hyped. The Triple Track razor had three blades–one blade to cut the whisker, a second to grab what was left before it could snap back into your face, and a third blade to slice it off. As parody it was brilliant, and so was the slogan: The Triple Track Razor, because you’ll believe anything!

I have a serious suspicion that this SNL spoof was a big factor explaining why it took decades to try to con the public with this one. Hoping the old farts would forget and the younger folks might never have seen the SNL parody.

Be kinda good if they decided to re-air it now. [Evil]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Three is the ideal number of blades for a razor. Any more gives me razor burn.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
My facial hair only evolves slowly. At 25, I can still go two days without shaving before anything is noticable. The fact that my hair is blonde helps in this regard. It's there, but you can't see it.
I have never worn a full grown beard. But intermittedly I do go around sporting a goatee, usually without a moustache.

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I won't be satisfied until there's a 10-blade razor so I can shave my entire face in one quick smooth motion.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
That's not quite possible, you know Lyrhawn.
Because shaving your entire face in one motion, would entail going round to the other cheeck in that one motion, where the direction of hair growth is the other way around. Don't you think that'd give a strange result, even if you had ten blades?
Correct me if I'm wrong though... [Smile]

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
*tries not to bring up the comparison of area of legs vs face*
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
No problem growing a full beard, Hell I can grow a nice crop of hair just about anywhere but the top of my head. Just love shaving the ears, and back.

My theory is that your hair doesn’t fall out it just burrows in and pops out somewhere else.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

15 blade razor! [Razz]
Jayelle
Member # 9745

- posted      Profile for Jayelle           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

My husband has a beard and I like it. With a beard, it's soft hair that occasionally needs to be trimmed so it doesn't tickle. Stubble is never, ever comfortable, and he'd have to shave twice a day not to have that, especially back when we were dating and making out at any opportunity [Wink]
Posts: 22 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Edwaurdo, they are really, really long, and face forming, blades.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Beard since age 20 (the first time I had a job that allowed it), mustache since it grew in around 16 or so.

Tried shaving it off once, during a vacation a few years back, just for the heck of it, and vowed to never do it again; since the last time I saw my chin it had gone from a sharply jutting angle of masculinity into a soft and puffy, pastry-like mass between my head and my neck. I let the beard grow back just to make sure where my jaw actually was.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I always chicken out after 4 days at the most. My wife insists she likes it scruffy but not hairy. I do not know why but at the very center of my chin for about a half inch in either direction its NO HAIRS land.

I could grow a killer set of mutton chops, but those do not seem to be in style. My wife wants me to tryout a mustache but I just do not think I have the thickness to pull one off, maybe one day Ill just stop shaving and see what my facial hair does, I suppose its always a good thing to know.

Now if only I could halt the slow progression of my baldness. Can't I just wake up with it gone? Why do I have to watch it disappear hair by hair?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
It's been years since I've kissed a girl while I didn't have a beard. Never really gotten any feedback on whether they liked or disliked the beard.

Mm. It stays.

[Wink]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by MyrddinFyre:
*tries not to bring up the comparison of area of legs vs face*

Not to mention the angles. And don't get me started on the bikini line.

-pH

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a beard since freshman year of college. It was too much trouble to shave back then. Now...meh, it's like part of the whole biker mystique. And without it I look like a Muppet Baby.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
blackblade, you could arrange for someone to shave the hair off your head as you sleep. Then you will wake up with it all gone. [Wink]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
I probably can, sadly. Yeah, hairy women's faces run in my family. Thank you, Finnish ancestry. Thank you SO much. I have to wax my face every few weeks. It sucks so much. I can't wait until I'm a rich wedding photographer so I can just get laser hair removal and be done with it.

Anyway. I am opposed to Katharina's idea that stubble burn is no fun. I enjoy it quite a lot. I married an Italian, so I'm pretty much used to it anyway. He doesn't get five o'clock shadow; he gets five-minute shadow. The man is a facial hair factory. <3<3<3<3

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Libbie, be careful with the laser hair removal. I have a friend who had it done on his face, and he said until the treatments are done, which can be like six months, you have nasty red bumps all over your face. [Frown]

-pH

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Depends where you get the stubble burn O_O

I'm a hairy person too. I actually never really cared (I'm a mix of all the hairiest ethnicities you could think of)... but the other day I saw a Ten Years Younger on TLC. While doing this lady's makeup, the guy said, We HAVE to wax that lip. Nobody likes a woman with a moustache. That's just awful.

Me: O_O

Never knew that people cared so much about hairy females. Kinda made me angry!

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I can, and sometimes do, grow a beard.

It usually lasts about a month, tops, before the itchiness forces me to shave it.

I am also the king of stubble, and not because I like the way it looks or feels but because I'm lazy.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
rich wedding photographer
They exist?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I have hair, but it's mostly blonde. Like I have a happy trail. But...yeah, blonde. So it ends up looking more like a muscle line. Rawr!

-pH

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mackillian:
blackblade, you could arrange for someone to shave the hair off your head as you sleep. Then you will wake up with it all gone. [Wink]

Shaved my head a year ago, it all grew back. I am bald enough that you know its disappearing, but not enough that I dont "Still have my hair"

Its a precarious stage to be in, as I am not sure if my hair is going to continue dropping out or if it is going to halt where it is. GAH! Why can't I just know!? I should be fully bald now, my father was and so were both my grandfathers! What is my scalp DOING?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morydd
Member # 5004

- posted      Profile for Morydd   Email Morydd         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a beard. Occasionally it becomes a goatee, but may not do it again. Of course I can't grow nearly the beard I want because my wife has a limit to what she'll accept. Until it turns white, then I can go all Santa Claus. I'm almost 30 and still have a patch on each cheek that is sparse and blonde so it looks like there's a hole in my beard when it's not grown out fairly well.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

quote:
What is my scalp DOING?
Battling inevitability.
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Our High School had a beard growing contest. I won for Ugliest Beard. They gave me a razor.

I did have a mustache for 30 years. I grew it to look older. I don't need it any more!

Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/miyamasu/Picture011.jpg

That's me at Universal Studios with my new half brother. See the amount of facial hair? That's 9 months worth of not shaving. I know I don't look like it but I'm 23 years old. Think there is any chance I'll be able to grow a full beard and sideburns?

Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.