FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Third Places"

Author Topic: "Third Places"
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What is a third place? The first place is your home, where you can relax and be comfortable. The second place is where you usually are when not at home — work; work provides social interaction and sense of community. Howard Schultz, founder of Starbucks introduced third places as somewhere besides home or work where people can socialize and feel comfortable. Think Cheers.

Online games are thus third places as defined by the eight characteristics of third places.

That is from Here.

They are talking about MMORPG's, but don't you think places like Hatrack would qualify as "third places" using the criteria they cite there?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely. I definitely think of Hatrack as a third place.

I want a third place in real life too. I don't have one yet, although church is close. Still, not quite - I don't just hang out there, and I don't go during the week.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
The Rack sure seems to fit as well as the MMORPGs they're talking about.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really have a second place.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

The only thing I wasn't sure of was the whole "leveler" part ("social status is rarely invoked")

I think there is a little bit of social status on Hatrack.

But I defiantely agree with the part under "regulars"

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really have a second place either -- home is where I work. Although... online Scrabble might be my second place; I take it as seriously as "work" [Smile] .

Very interesting article.

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I don't think that social status in the real world translates to much social status here.

Out of the box, we're as likely to take a college freshman seriously as a corporate executive.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

But I think once we "know" that someone here is a doctor, or a professional, etc. etc., we recognize and respect their greater knowledge in certain areas....

Unlike an RPG character, which is entirely fictional.

FG

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I think once we "know" that someone here is a doctor, or a professional, etc. etc., we recognize and respect their greater knowledge in certain areas....
Let someone find out you're a celebrity on a MMO, and watch out...
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Speaking from experience there, Tom? [Big Grin] [Wink]
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I've asked this before Sharpie, but where do you usually play Scrabble online. I mostly stick to ISC (Internet Scrabble Club). I have no doubt you're quite a bit better than me, but if you ever get on ISC or if you have any other place I should check out to get some games in, maybe we could play some time.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

I'm Marsh on ISC. When John is here (about half the time now), we play as the two-headed monster Mosaic. (He is JVP on there.)

I'd definitely play [Smile] .

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha! Whew. Yeah, I think I might be a bit out of my league, playing you. 1846?! At one time I broke 1300 but that was when I was playing obsessively. I still wouldn't mind playing sometime (I'm in class right now) but don't expect any sort of competition [Razz] . I'm Dakoit on there.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

One of my favorite six-letter words [Smile] .

At my real-life club, we can play anyone from 500 to 1900. The truth is -- anyone can beat anyone. Yeah, probably the 1900 wins, a huge percentage of the time. But every rack has its own challenges, every board is different, and every opponent worthy.

So match me anytime (if I'm "working", I set my mood to 3 and just watch games.)

Okay, I'm done derailing yet another thread. I think.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.