FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Orthodontic Question

Author Topic: Orthodontic Question
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure plenty of you guys have had braces. Have any of you had your teeth expanded first?

I had my jaw expanded for a year before I could get my braces put on, and after the braces came off, I naturally had a retainer. I also have a bonded retainer on my lower teeth. It's like a metal bar glued to the back of my teeth. Used to be, I had to be really careful with what I ate, since if it came unglued, my teeth would immediately crowd again, and when they reattached it, they would have to wrap rubber bands around my teeth and tie them to the bar to force them back into place. Which is so not fun.

My orthodontist told me that the bar would come out when I had my wisdom teeth removed.

Well, I never was able to stop wearing my upper retainer completely, either. Every once in a while, I'd have to wear it for a few nights because I felt like my teeth were shifting.

Now, one of the assistants at my new dentist's office said that wisdom teeth making teeth shift was a myth. But since I've had them out, I tried once to put in my top retainer, and it feels too small. It feels like it's pulling my teeth in, not pushing them out. And my bottom teeth feel tingly, like they want to move as well. Is that possible, or is it a myth like she said? Do you think I can finally get the bar removed? Have any of you gone through this? How did it work?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about having wisdom teeth removed. But I can tell you this: I had braces. My teeth came out straight. I had retainers, until the orthodontist determined it was time to remove them. My teeth stayed straight until sometime after I was married. Now the bottom ones are VERY crooked and the front ones are moving back into an overbite. The only reason I can think of for my straight teeth to re-crookedize is that my wisdom teeth have come in and shoved them out of alignment.

So if it really is a "myth", then there's something else that causes adults' teeth to move and ruin thousands of dollars worth of orthodontia - I don't see any candidate more likely than new teeth crowding the old ones out of place!

So, yeah, I would hope that once your wisdom teeth are out, you would not need to worry anymore.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I still have my lower retainer. It must be about 9 years since I had my braces removed and about 4 years since I had my wisdom teeth taken out (they were growing in twisted and sideways!) It hasn't come unglued yet and seems to be doing a great job keeping my front bottom teeth straight with minimal to no annoyance. Though my boyfriend thinks its weird.

I've pretty much stopped growing but I know people who are still getting taller in their 20s. Maybe that changes the size of the jaw? Or perhaps you grind your teeth sometimes and that's throwing things out of wack? Could simple use cause teeth to shift?

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
There used to be a gap between my two top middle incisors. When I was a teenager, the gap closed up, and now those two teeth overlap a little bit. If my wisdom teeth didn't push them together, then I really have no idea what did.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I am still growing; my family generally grows until 26ish.

The dentist did say that having the teeth removed would change my bite. I just think it's weird that it's changed it this much...and actually for the better.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy
Member # 9384

- posted      Profile for Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy           Edit/Delete Post 
My teeth shifted a few years after my orthodontist told me I could stop wearing my retainer, and I never had wisdom teeth. So there are apparently other factors.
Posts: 87 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
How come when I read this thread I picture Steve Martin in a destist's smock singing that wonderful tune "Be a dentist" from Little Shop of Horrors.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.