FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My thoughts on being "upholstered" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: My thoughts on being "upholstered"
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I was having a conversation the other night with an otherwise charming gentleman who asked why (since he feels I am otherwise attractive) I don't spend a little effort on losing weight - presumably so that all men would fall at my feet rather than only a select few.

I realized that (aside from being generally lazy and self-indulgent) there are a couple of reasons. One of those reasons is that I don't want to become preoccupied with my weight. I don't want to be one of those people who thinks life will be better if I could just fix this flab here, or if I could just lose an inch there. So many weight lose programs are about changing your life. I like my life. I don't want my life to change to focus on what I look like. I don't want to go out to dinner and bore people by counting points. I have known enough people - thin people even - whose main topic of conversation is how much they worked out, their new diet, how may pounds they have lost etc. It is so easy to have that become the focus of one's world and, frankly, that scares me more than a few (dozen) extra pounds.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
I was having a conversation the other night with an otherwise charming gentleman who asked why (since he feels I am otherwise attractive) I don't spend a little effort on losing weight - presumably so that all men would fall at my feet rather than only a select few.

I realized that (aside from being generally lazy and self-indulgent) there are a couple of reasons. One of those reasons is that I don't want to become preoccupied with my weight. I don't want to be one of those people who thinks life will be better if I could just fix this flab here, or if I could just lose an inch there. So many weight lose programs are about changing your life. I like my life. I don't want my life to change to focus on what I look like. I don't want to go out to dinner and bore people by counting points. I have known enough people - thin people even - whose main topic of conversation is how much they worked out, their new diet, how may pounds they have lost etc. It is so easy to have that become the focus of one's world and, frankly, that scares me more than a few (dozen) extra pounds.

True enough, but its also nice to set a goal and meet it through hard work.

Interestingly enough I got married and THEN decided to shed a few pounds.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I really adore you, kmboots. Especially your strong healthy vibe.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

But being thinner (for me) is such a boring goal and has so little to do with what is important to me.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. That's part of why I refused to do anything when I was a teenager - I didn't want my life goals to be dictated by other people's expectations.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But being thinner (for me) is such a boring goal and has so little to do with what is important to me.

Then obviously is is not for you! [Smile]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Hear, hear. edit: to the original post [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Thanks, honey. I adore you, too. (How do you feel about my amazing capacity for rationalization?)
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellently put . . . but in my case, I don't want to die young like all the men in my family. :-\
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you.

I lost a bunch of weight once, and a woman told me to go talk to her daughter, and encourage her daughter to lose weight too. So I asked "Is she unhappy about her weight?" The woman said "Lord, no, she's happy as a lark, that's why she says she won't lose any." So I told her I had nothing to say to her daughter, if she was happy in her own skin who was I to tell her she needed to change?

Now, I think we should recognize there are times when people need to lose weight for health reasons and that should be supported and encouraged. But a person with no health problems whose only need to lose weight would be to fit some fashion ideal - I agree with you kmbboots, why bother if you're happy with yourself and healthy?

And yes, I do think it's possible for people to be overweight and healthy, not morbidly obese of course, but if you're 20 pounds or so over what some arbitrary chart says and you have no health problems at all then why is it such a concern?

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
You have such an awesome attitude, kmbboots, and I hope we get to hang out again. [Smile]

I totally get what you're saying; I have an aversion to diet plans that require counting or big life changes. And I do think a lot of women look at weight loss as a way to get men, which to me is such a bad way to go about it.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
And I do think a lot of women look at weight loss as a way to get men, which to me is such a bad way to go about it.
It's worse that it works.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's part of why I refused to do anything when I was a teenager - I didn't want my life goals to be dictated by other people's expectations.
Ahhh, the unintentional irony of teenaged thinking.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Yeah. That is part of my problem. I would really like not to be alone. Now, I have excellent and wonderful proof that there are worthy men who are not detered by extra weight. I also have a theory that the very best men fall into that category. I (except in some weak and sad moments) do think I am better off on my own than with someone who could only care for me "if".

But in those moments, I do wonder if that is asking too much.

pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
quote:
And I do think a lot of women look at weight loss as a way to get men, which to me is such a bad way to go about it.
It's worse that it works.
True. I'm horrified when I meet men who think that if a woman isn't Heidi Klum, she isn't worth their time.

I had a guy tell me last summer that I wasn't in good enough shape for him. I really wanted to kick him in the junk. He was too short for me, anwyay.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah. That is part of my problem. I would really like not to be alone. Now, I have excellent and wonderful proof that there are worthy men who are not detered by extra weight. I also have a theory that the very best men fall into that category. I (except in some weak and sad moments) do think I am better off on my own than with someone who could only care for me "if".

But in those moments, I do wonder if that is asking too much.

No, it's not.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I hate it, too.

I think...I think the reason I don't hate it as much now is that I like cute, too, and I've not dated guys before because I wasn't physically attracted to them.

I've tried the other way - making myself ignore it if I wasn't physically attracted. It didn't work. It turns out I'm actually quite shallow.

vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He was too short for me, anwyay.
[Confused]

This is being sarcastic/ironic, right?

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I hate it, too.

I think...I think the reason I don't hate it as much now is that I like cute, too, and I've not dated guys before because I wasn't physically attracted to them.

I've tried the other way - making myself ignore it if I wasn't physically attracted. I didn't work. They were too short. It turns out I'm actually quite shallow.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I would never join any club that would have me as a member.

I would never date anyone in as sorry a shape as I am in.

I lead a lonely life.

very, very lonely.

(Actually I only hang around beautiful people, well people I consider beautiful. Then again, I don't look at people's bodies. I see the beauty that is inside. I have trouble describing people by their clothes or features, but no trouble describing what they are like. THis is the main reason I hang around Hatrack. For example, Wow-KMBoots is female. I didn't know that.)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

The last time I "fell" it was before I had even seen his face clearly. And this was in person not online. I fell for, I don't know, his posture? His coat? His profile? I recall being surprised that his face wasn't quite what I expected. Now, even the thought of his face stops my heart a bit.
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
I hate it, too.

I've tried the other way - making myself ignore it if I wasn't physically attracted. I didn't work. They were too short. It turns out I'm actually quite shallow.

Oh, no. I love being physically attracted to the person I'm with. I think that's spectacular. But I don't like the idea of having these pre-set rules, like not dating anyone who isn't a certain height, or has a certain color hair or eyes, and so forth. I tried dating someone to whom I wasn't physically attracted, and it was a disaster. But...I don't require that my men all be bodybuilders with perfect abs. I don't have any "rules" really on appearance.

-pH

kmbboots
Member # 8576

Very, very, female.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

I have found that that the physical flaws of a loved one become very dear to me.

I suppose there are some limits to this. I was relieved when he had his gall bladder removed.

pH
Member # 1350

My boyfriend insists that his teeth are crooked. I, despite being very, very particular about teeth, still don't see the crookedness. I didn't even know he thought they were crooked until a few days ago.

Maybe one of us is hallucinating. [Razz]

And ouch, from what I hear, gallbladder surgery is scary. [Frown] My dad had his out when he was younger.

-pH

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I really need to get to work and lose the 40-something pounds I've gained in the last two years. I don't want to get diabetes like my father.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

That is a dramatic weight gain, MPH. Has anything in your life changed?

*looks at registration date* [Razz]

BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
How is not dating someone because of their weight any different than not dating someone based on other criteria such as: money, job, facial beauty, education, baldness, height, personal hygeine, etc? I've heard some of these used by Hatrackers before as things they look for when dating, or reasons why they won't date someone.

If someone doesn't want to date you for some reason, just think of it as their loss and move on (as you already have).

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Not dating someone for any reason is fine and a matter of choice.

Expecting, demanding, or requiring people to change to meet your needs is being insensitive.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

I know. I do really. But "it's their loss" does wear kinda thin as a shield against the 2 am demons.

I guess I was looking for some reinforcement.

BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
Expecting, demanding, or requiring people to change to meet your needs is being insensitive.

Perhaps, but I honestly feel as if I should do my best to meet my wife's expectations to a certain degree. She expects, and rightfully so, that I shower daily, shave, brush my teeth, keep myself physically fit, etc.

I feel it's unfair and selfish to 'let yourself go' after being married for a while-it's one of my pet peeves when I see it. I'm talking about not doing your doing your hair and make-up, shaving your legs maybe monthly and staying in your bathrobe until 3 pm or getting a big beer belly, not shaving, and walking around in your underwear scratching yourself and burping.

I think it's just as insensitive to change and stop worrying about attracting your SO once you're in a relationship. To then hurl charges of 'you need to love me for who I am' is ridiculous.

Of course, my whole post just has to do with your comment. It has no bearing on kmbboot's post, since the situation completely different.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

But pH! Google says you need not do anything but drink Wulong tea! Is that so much a sacrifice? [Wink]
kmbboots
Member # 8576

And, God forbid, you get old or sick.
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

I don't know if that's in response to me kmbboots. However, illness, sickness, aging are not what I'm talking about. Hopefully you can see the difference between what you're talking about and what I've mentioned. I'm not aware of the phrase 'letting yourself go' ever being applied to illness or aging. If you have a problem with what I stated, then address that. Please don't infer meaning that I'm not implying.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
quote:
[Confused]

pH is...what, 6' tall?
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
. . .shaving your legs maybe monthly and staying in your bathrobe until 3 pm. . .
I totally agree. I shave my legs about every four months, and 3 pm is way too early to get dressed on the weekends, at least.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Well, I do think that a lot of what you talked about - gaining weight, staying in your bathrobe etc. could happen with depression or illness or age. (Not doing hair or make-up could just mean having an actual life.)

My sister put on weight when she had her first child. She was unsuccessful at taking it off for a variety of reasons - some medical. Her husband stopped loving her.

I am thankful that she is now with a man whose love for her does not depend on how thin she is.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

People get dressed on the weekends?
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
People get dressed on the weekends?

I actually tend to wear presentable clothes as often as possible, even in situations where I know I won't be exposed to scrutiny.

Until very recently, I even slept in them.

I have no idea why.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Only when absolutely necessary. But if you're going to go out, some nightclubs frown on PJs, so getting dressed sometime after dinner isn't always a bad thing.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
quote:
[Confused]

pH is...what, 6' tall?
Regardless, I can't help but raise an eyebrow when someone complains about being judged on their weight and in the very next sentence judges someone for their height.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

BQT, I don't mean to put works in your mouth, but I do wonder about those kinds of expectations. And I mean wonder. How much of love is built on things that are transient and how much on things that are permanent. How much should we expect a partner to keep those transient things the same? How central to a person's identity are those things?
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
She was joking

quote:
Oh, no. I love being physically attracted to the person I'm with. I think that's spectacular. But I don't like the idea of having these pre-set rules, like not dating anyone who isn't a certain height,

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Kate you make me very happy. And this has been a very bad day (make that hour, it was good till I got home from class), so I'm glad.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

That's why I asked. Clarification. Thanks.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

BQT while there is a definate difference between the kind of hygene you are describing, and the demand that your wife never gets sick, so too is there a difference between expecting your love to shower, and demanding that they get plastic surgery because you have a hankering for women with bigger bra sizes.

One of the best scenes from the most recent Harry Potter book is when

****SPOILER ALERT FOR HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE***********

The girl gets upset that anyone would consider ending her engagement to her mangled fiance. This is the proof for the boys mother that their love is real, not just infatuation.

(Names have been removed to protect the story, and because I am awful at remembering names)

kmbboots
Member # 8576

Awww...you make me happy, too. I'm sorry you had a lousy hour.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
BQT while there is a definate difference between the kind of hygene you are describing, and the demand that your wife never gets sick, so too is there a difference between expecting your love to shower, and demanding that they get plastic surgery because you have a hankering for women with bigger bra sizes.

One of the best scenes from the most recent Harry Potter book is when

****SPOILER ALERT FOR HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE***********

The girl gets upset that anyone would consider ending her engagement to her mangled fiance. This is the proof for the boys mother that their love is real, not just infatuation.

(Names have been removed to protect the story, and because I am awful at remembering names)

Funny all my female friends who read HP say that Rowling does not do a good job writing girls.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Dan, I think that there is a difference, too, in worrying about why your husband has stopped showering and not loving him because or it.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'll just eat chocolate in jammies tommorow, and not shave my legs and all that. I love only having classes monday through wednesday.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.