FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lying, cheating, freakin' thieves. I have involved the police.

Author Topic: Lying, cheating, freakin' thieves. I have involved the police.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Lying, cheating, freakin' people with no spine or morals.
Back when Deb(Nellie Bly), left for Illinois, she left behind a lot of things including a television that she told me to sell so I could send her a few things. Well, A., who moved in after Nellie, said that she would buy it. That was back in March. A. moved out a few weeks ago, mid-August actually and her friend, L. was helping her move out.
When I saw L. taking the television, I told her that A. had not payed for it yet. She, VERY CASUALLY, said "I sent Deb a check last week."
I chose to believe her and that was my big mistake.

I called Deb maybe a week ago to ask if she had gotten such a check and she said she hadn't. God I was ANGRY.
I sent a message both to A. and L. telling them what Deb had said and L. plain ignored me while A. only replied after I told her I was going to acuse her of theft if she didn't pay for what she took. She messaged me saying that she wanted Deb's address because...get this... SHE THINKS I AM GOING TO KEEP THE MONEY. Talk about not being in the position to say such things!!!

I sent her Deb's number instead and tried to explain to her the situation, but she pretty much gave a darn about what I had to say and replied with a blunt "give me the address."
Now, I am extremely angry so what I did was give Deb A.'s number so that she can give her an ultimatum. Give me the money, or I call the police.

[ September 21, 2006, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Altáriël of Dorthonion ]

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
That totally sucks.

I've had so much stuff stolen from me in group living situations, it's pathetic.

People stink sometimes.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody on another forum put it well a couple of days ago : "As a general rule, people are scum".

Then he quit our MP game, leaving me in desperate need of someone to play England. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
She thinks you would keep the money becuase that's what she would have done.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
What EG said. My therapist says people project things onto their view of the world are reflections of themselves. So if you think everyone is a thief, it's probably because you are.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Let her call the cops.
She's got nothing.
They might take a report but won't do a thing.

Find the chick that took the TV and have some words with her. Don't let her ignore you. Be loud if you need to be.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I know her phone number, she attends the same school as me and there are various pictures of her on MySpace. Deb called her and she said that she refuses to give me the money and insists on getting Deb's address, even though Deb has told her that she must give it to me. What the heck is going on in her head?! She is in absolutely no position to make these demands and what reasons does she have for doing so? It's not only the television, but when she was living here, various things misteriously disappeared, including four movies and my computer. She was also fond of bringing people she met online here, first meetings that is.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
[Mad]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Someone needs to be taken to People's Court. I'm really unclear who did what to whom here, but if anyone can sort it out, Judge Marilyn Milian can. She's a flippin' Judicial Champion if I've ever seen one.

She can bang my gavel any day, if you know what I mean. [Wink]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Not nearly as serious, but I think one of my roommmates is taking my mail.

Not the important stuff (as far as I know), but my last netflix disk and my last Entertainment Weekly both showed up in the mail sorting place opened and obviously used. If it isn't my roommate, it's the mail man. I think it's my roommate - one of them also has a habit of parking in the reserved parking spot when it isn't her turn.

I have a plan. I'm going to go to each and explain about my weird mail experiences, and that if it happens one more time I'm going to call the post office and talk with the mailman. Hopefully the prospect of getting someone else in trouble will get them to leave my mail alone.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
What would be the problem with letting her have Deb's address?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I am taking bets that she will tell Deb, "But I paid Alth, in cash, months ago. I knew I should have gotten a reciept, but I was told I didn't need one. You should demand he pay you."
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So if you think everyone is a thief, it's probably because you are.
Or it's because you've been stolen from, or know people who have.

Not saying that's the case here, of course.

But you learn to expect things that are within your realm of experience. Either you yourself would think to be dishonest, or you've been in situations where you've learned not to trust the word of others.

As an example, I have a few police officers in my family who are automatically suspect of the motivations of others - but that's just because it's their job to be, since they deal with dishonest people often in their line of work.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
What would be the problem with letting her have Deb's address?

The fact that they already "sent" the payment once and besides, I need the money to send Debra some of her things.

UPDATE: Police are on their way here. I'm filing a theft report although I was told it could also go to court. Not only can I not pay for court, I'm not going to court for a freakin' $30 television.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

The fact that they already "sent" the payment once and besides, I need the money to send Debra some of her things.

It's not worth the hassle. Have them send Deb the money, then have Deb mail you a check or something. If time's an issue, use something like PayPal.

Taking a former roommate to court over $30 is SO not worth your time and stress, believe me. Hell, Alt, I'd send you $30 myself to convince you to drop it.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Well, we are kinda desperate so...

j/k, I'll let you know how things go.

It's not so much the money, it's the ACT itself. This thief, as I'll call her now, is the same person who tried to commit suicide sometime in April. Tracy and I were the only ones who were there for her and she said so herself so I am very hurt that she would have lied to me and to top things off, say I'd take the money for my own personal use. WTF.

cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Well - a thief steals things secretly ; ) ... so these two are especially bad at thieving AND interpersonal interactions...

How'd things go with the police?

edit: for too many and's...

[ September 22, 2006, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: cmc ]

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
If a thief is someone who steals things secretly, what is the word for someone who steals things openly?
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

A politician!
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

I said it so no one else would have to.
HegemonsAcolyte
Member # 1468

- posted      Profile for HegemonsAcolyte   Email HegemonsAcolyte         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a court question. Why does it cost so much?

Here that would go to a small claims court and for that all you have to pay is something like 40 dollars to get a court date. Lot cheaper than real court because you don't need lawyers involved.

Anyways, I hope it works out. Lord knows I hate courts and anything to do with the legal system.

[ September 22, 2006, 03:38 AM: Message edited by: HegemonsAcolyte ]

Posts: 74 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Alt, should you be surprised? Suicide and theft, especially this kind of bold faced lieing, are all extremely selfish things to do. All seem to describe an individual who has had trouble with the fact that the world does not revolve around them.

Temper a bit of your anger with pity on this poor girl, stuck emotionally forever as a 13 year old.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Suicide is not necessarily selfish. It might seem selfish to outsiders, but the atttude of the actual person may not be selfish.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

pH, I'm generalizing from personal experience. I've known three people who attempted suicide, on semi-regular basis. All three were aslo petty theives and some of the most selfish people I knew.

One has grown out of it. She is now my friend. Though an unrelated youthful stroke was a strong part of her growth.

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Threatening suicide without the intent to actually go through with it in order to get attention is a selfish act in my opinion. I don't know this person, so I don't know whether she actually meant it, but that's what I think about that particular situation.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
She thinks you would keep the money becuase that's what she would have done.
That could be the case, but I think there's many other options. You have called her a thief to her face. Whether true or not, I doubt she's pleased with you. I think it's now an issue of pride- she doesn't want to give the money to you. Give her Deb's address- otherwise you're acting just as spiteful and petty as she is.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not the important stuff (as far as I know), but my last netflix disk and my last Entertainment Weekly both showed up in the mail sorting place opened and obviously used. If it isn't my roommate, it's the mail man. I think it's my roommate - one of them also has a habit of parking in the reserved parking spot when it isn't her turn.

Our mail sometimes arrives like that-- Netflix packages that have been opened, taken out, and taped back together, magazines without their plastic covers... We have a LOT of problems with this post office. We're seriously considering getting a P.O. box in the next town over. Grrr.

It seems to me the original girl in question either needs to grow up or has a drug problem or something.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
What EG said. My therapist says people project things onto their view of the world are reflections of themselves. So if you think everyone is a thief, it's probably because you are.

-pH

That's brilliant. And you so rarely think about that when dealing with people. I wonder how else it could be applied: I think alot of people are lazy, so i must be lazy too? Or maybe I think everyone around me is fat, so I am also fat, or unhealthy, or something... hmmm
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.