FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cough/sneeze etiquette

Author Topic: Cough/sneeze etiquette
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
With flu season soon to be upon us, here is a message that is well worth passing on.

Linky

[Hat]

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
That was funny and educational! In the sleeve it shall be. [Smile]
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
What she said! [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I think in a tissue would work better...
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Eeew, but then it goes through the tissue to your hands. I'm trying to teach my daughter to "aim at her elbow."
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I got into the habit of sneezing into my sleeve when I worked at a grocery store. You really don't want to sneeze on your hands as you're scanning and bagging people's groceries.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
I think in a tissue would work better...

The link addresses the limitations of tissues...
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I do it into my sleeve now because that seems to be the best place. Hands are not always the best place and your sleeve muffles the noise better then your hands.

How many of you are LOUD sneezers. My father, and 2 younger brothers are, for some reason it skipped me but they are SO LOUD it hurts my ears and it scares kittens.

I've always wondered if it was a habit, or just something you are born doing. Their sneezes sound something like this

WAAAAAA! CHOOO!!!!

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Um, me.

In HS one of my classmates liked to tease me by saying "tekiah!" (which is said before each shofar blast) when I sneezed loudly.

Darn allergies.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I am a seriously loud sneezer, and my dad is louder still. It must be genetic, I think. Lego is a fairly loud sneezer for someone his size.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
hehehe! I loved that silly video.

I guess I'm ahead of the trend in that I normally sneeze/cough into the sleeve/shoulder of my shirt if I don't have a tissue handy. [Smile]

On the subject of weird sneezes - my dad has always made fun of me because apparently when I sneeze I stifle it (I don't know how to do any differently, it's just how I've always sneezed :shrug:) so I make this strange squeeking noise and don't get the usual wild sneeze explosion.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved how serious the guy looked when he was demonstrating how to sneeze or cough in the four different angles.

I almost always sneeze or cough into my sleeve. More surface area, better sound muffling.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ludosti:
hehehe! I loved that silly video.

I guess I'm ahead of the trend in that I normally sneeze/cough into the sleeve/shoulder of my shirt if I don't have a tissue handy. [Smile]

On the subject of weird sneezes - my dad has always made fun of me because apparently when I sneeze I stifle it (I don't know how to do any differently, it's just how I've always sneezed :shrug:) so I make this strange squeeking noise and don't get the usual wild sneeze explosion.

I used to stiffle my sneezes and they made almost no noise whatsoever. Then one day I realized when I sneeze my body is trying expel foreign elements from my throat and by stiffling them I am working against myself, thus bringing on a greater need to sneeze more often. So trained myself to stop doing it.

I'd suggest you do the same, unless I am wrong.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a sleeve sneezer-or a floor sneezer-for selfish reasons.

For some reason, allergies, photons, or lots of people gossiping about me I sneeze a great deal. Quite powerfully, too. One of these days I'll have to make a count, but I'd imagine my average would be 10-20 a day without obvious triggers like peppers or air fresheners or something.

I don't want that much spit and mucus on my hands, thank you very much. Pretty gross aside from the obvious sanitary concerns, so I most often try to aim straight at the floor away from other people. Not enough (in one, anyway) to be a slip hazard, not a carrier for illness, and not on my freaking hands or clothing.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't people just stifle their sneezes?

If you just close your mouth, it doesn't get out, regardless of how hard you sneeze.

Alternately, you can do what post-sinal-surgery patients have to do and exhale all the air in your system, thereby deflating your sneeze to a pitiful little choo that you should have no problem pulling your lips together over.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:

If you just close your mouth, it doesn't get out, regardless of how hard you sneeze.

If I did that, my head would explode.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:

If I did that, my head would explode.
Have you tried it? You'd be surprised.

I'm a very forceful sneezer, and this reduces the mess to nothing and the noise to almost nothing.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I stifle sneezes in emergencies but oh god the pain.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I have TRIED to stifle my sneezes, because I'm a VERY forceful sneezer most of the time, and I'm a "lady" so it isn't very nice. I'm not as bad as my dad, thank goodness, he shakes the walls. However, if I stifle the sneeze, then it itches terribly, and as soon as I breathe again, it comes out without warning. I tend to usually turn away from other people and sneeze into my shoulderish area, since this seems to be the most amiable.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I always heard that it's bad for you to stiffle your sneezes, because then all of the germs and gross stuff that your body is trying to get rid of just gets sent back into your throat and into your system. Kinda defeats the purpose.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gecko
Member # 8160

- posted      Profile for Gecko           Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who if he doesn't pinch his nose when he sneezes, snot will fly?

I would get snot all over my shoulder if I sneezed like suggested

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Being a NICU mom and a germophobe, I adore this video. I never, ever sneeze into my hands and if I sneeze into a tisse, I throw it away by an end immediately and wash my hands (or Purel if I can't wash).

I'd like to add that you should avoid touching your face, also. Your face is a disgusting, dirty, dirty, germ-ridden place and you will get the germy filth on your hands. It's hard for me to go anywhere during RSV and flu season because everyone is constantly rubbing their eyes, wiping their noses, biting their nails, and just generally pawing their faces. Then they all try to touch Aerin.

I know, I know - Monk.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused by the seeming conflict between handkerchiefs being bad (because touching them afterward can lead to contamination and reusing the same hankie is a no-no), but sleeves being good (because... you burn your clothes immediately?). Isn't there the same problem?
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
It's what else the fabric can or will touch before it has time to dry. Sleeves are open to air (dry fast) but rarely contacted in the area discussed (inner elbow), so the germs dry up before they get passed on.

Wet = living bacteria. Wet also = transferrable, as in (undead [Smile] ) viruses.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Stifling a sneeze blows mucus and germs back up in the nether reaches of the airways. I haven't a medical link to weigh in yea or nay, but I suspect that a little digging will reveal potential complications that make it inadvisable.

*grin

Of course, it is your body and your call.

----

Edited to add: Google Answers summarizes some medical sites and Cecil Adams on stifling a sneeze.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

And for the trifecta: I'd advise to sneeze into an elbow as opposed to onto a floor because the more space between the nose and contact point, the more gets aerosolized. Some particles cannot be breathed in and stick to the respiratory epithelium unless they are of a certain size -- not to big, not too small.

A "cone of force" that is allowed to blossom from the nose and mouth will populate the air with a maximal numbers of the little buggers. More droplets of all sizes --> more droplets of the right size to get breathed in by someone else.

Thus the current advice to sneeze into something other than your hands (cuts down on hand-to-hand*** transmission, from which it is rubbed into someone else's eyes accidentally, etc.) but nearby and quickly-drying, such as the sleeve-covered elbow (minimizes aerosolization of particulate to be breathed in by another as well as minimizes hand-to-hand*** spread).

***or hand-to-surface-to-hand

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm starting to get nervous about microbes now. *eyes office suspiciously*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Just don't ... touch anything. Or breathe.

Yep, that should work.

[Wink]

I think I picked up a bug from eating some candy out of a shared dish at the ofice. I know better -- that is, to eat only wrapped items out of such a dish (kind of like eating only fruit you can peel yourself when a foreign country with different sanitation standards).

rivka
Member # 4859

Just don't drink the water, and don't breathe the air! [Big Grin]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.