FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » There's A Film Crew In My Quad

Author Topic: There's A Film Crew In My Quad
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
They're filming new television show Runaway and the scene seems to be a typical American private school in which all the girls have the same haircut.

The show seems to be about a father who is wrongly accused of murder and he and his family basically go on the run. Since they're filming it now and it supposedly premiere's next week I'm assuming I'm seeing a later episode.

I was outside reading my book, and they moved me twice out of the shot. Ha. Now I feel important.

Their major problem seems to be University people wandering casually through the shot.

It's very interesting [Smile] and I thought I'd share [Smile] .

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
That's really fun! But film crews can get annoying after a while. When I was younger there was a tv show filmed in my village and we were basically shut inside the house for weeks.
Stand up to them - don't let them push you around too much, and try to get in shot as often as possible. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Casually wandering?

Whenever they shot movies around here(small college town), everyone and their mother within a hundred miles shows up to be an extra or just stand in the middle of the street. If the traffic backs up, I start looking for film crews.

You'll have to let us know when the episode premieres.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Never mind. [Smile]

[ September 22, 2006, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
Casually wandering?
Yes, this is Toronto. People are passing through on their way to class and back and to work, or jut walking. Many of them stop to see what's going on (such as myself), or, as they walk through, their heads turn.

Also there's a certain "Who, me? I'm not watching!" sense. Film crews aren't that uncommon in Toronto. People are "above" them. (Not me!)

It would be hard for me to get in a position (especially at the moment) where I was watching without standing in the shot or among the film crew. From my kitchen window I can hear things like "Rolling!" and "Action!" and "keep it going!" but I can only see bits of the background actors. At the moment they're doing "typical high school students laughing to be mean, including a mean high-five". It looks and sounds rather cheesy from where I'm seeing it.

Also, as I was seated reading, the various guys who have asked me to move have been almost apologetic. As in, "Hi... er... sorry, but... you're in our shot, so could you please..."
Me: "I'll move."

EDIT: In fact, there are so few people gawping that me going out to gawp would be very obvious.

[ September 22, 2006, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
People don't generally gawk at film crews here, either. When they filmed the streetcar scene for Runaway Jury, St. Charles was still open and running pretty okay. But I got to watch part of the filming as I drove by! [Smile]

They filmed part of the Pirates sequels here apparently, but I didn't get to see that. [Cry]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Bad Film Joke - Tell the DP he's not focused?
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Film crews are almost ordinary, growing up in L.A. When I'm in a mall or something and they take it over, I find it amusing to pretend that I don't understand what they want when they want me to move out of the shot and make them spell it out. (I know, I'm mean. I don't do it more than once to the same crew, though.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

So what you do you do to them I don't quite understand?
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
It's made more amusing by the fact that they send the shy little new guy over to clear people from the shot.

"Er, um, you're in our shot."
"Yes?"
"Um, we need a clear shot here, we're filming a show."
"Oh?"
"Can you please move out of our shot?"
"You want me to move?"
"Yes, will you please move?"
"You need me to move? Where should I move?"
"Um, to the right is fine."
*move 2 feet to the right, still in the shot*
"Um, you're still in our shot."
"Oh, you told me to move right."
"Yes, I actually need you to move more, please."
"I'm just trying to read my book, this is the shadiest spot."
"Oh, well, it will only be a few minutes."
(Lies!)
"Oh, well, where should I move?"
etc.

...just generally being obtuse and making myself annoying. It's only fun in some situations, and I stop short of making the guy cry. It's funny to see the producers trying to find out what's going on. And noticing that maybe a crowded public space isn't the best place to film a tv show, actually.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
She bats her eyes and looks clueless. It's a very funny thing to do to people. I use it when I want things off the top shelf in supermarkets (I'm 5'2"). Or when strangers say mean things to me. [Laugh]

***Notes tragic lack of batting eyes smiley.***

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Well, I didn't move of my own volition. I waited until they asked me. But I'm interested in the film business and not of a particularly belligerent nature so I'm not going to put up a fight, even though I was almost literally sitting on my own front doorstep.

Besides, the didn't move me until they absolutely had to.

Since the action was going on a couple of inches away from the camera (a girl and a guy sitting down, some dialogue, then the guy gets up and walks away) I would have probably been totally invisible, but it's the principle of the thing, I guess.

I love that I live in a place beautiful enough to be in movies and television and commercials and things [Smile] .

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
How exciting!

When they were filming Meet Joe Black, the whole state heard and most saw the fireworks every night for quite some time.

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
It's made more amusing by the fact that they send the shy little new guy over to clear people from the shot.

"Er, um, you're in our shot."
"Yes?"
"Um, we need a clear shot here, we're filming a show."
"Oh?"
"Can you please move out of our shot?"
"You want me to move?"
"Yes, will you please move?"
"You need me to move? Where should I move?"
"Um, to the right is fine."
*move 2 feet to the right, still in the shot*
"Um, you're still in our shot."
"Oh, you told me to move right."
"Yes, I actually need you to move more, please."
"I'm just trying to read my book, this is the shadiest spot."
"Oh, well, it will only be a few minutes."
(Lies!)
"Oh, well, where should I move?"
etc.

...just generally being obtuse and making myself annoying. It's only fun in some situations, and I stop short of making the guy cry. It's funny to see the producers trying to find out what's going on. And noticing that maybe a crowded public space isn't the best place to film a tv show, actually.

Your in the shot do you mind moving?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.